John Murphy Show Moving to Noon

it's weird that you have only 824 posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen every one. About a third are mocking supposed radio "talent."

Well...I like to weigh in on things that move me. Stalker. Lol. Kidding. I could post about what a mistake the Rex hire was but who'd listen? You have to call out BS radio when you can. Try Fan 590. Bob Maccowan from 4-7 is excellent.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wgr's hosts do not offer a lot of in depth analysis. Its a lot of "topic of the day", ill take one side, you take the other, lets take callers. Its lazy and uninteresting for the most part. It is driven by management though. A lot of the staff seems too comfortable and goes through the motions.

I expect the new incarnations of hockey hotline and the murphy show to offer much more in depth analysis, interviews, etc. We wont get anything critical of the teams, but imo thats not a necessity

Well...I like to weigh in on things that move me. Stalker. Lol. Kidding. I could post about what a mistake the Rex hire was but who'd listen? You have to call out BS radio when you can. Try Fan 590. Bob Maccowan from 4-7 is excellent.

:lol: I think it might be that I always click on the radio threads.

Wgr's hosts do not offer a lot of in depth analysis. Its a lot of "topic of the day", ill take one side, you take the other, lets take callers. Its lazy and uninteresting for the most part. It is driven by management though. A lot of the staff seems too comfortable and goes through the motions.

I expect the new incarnations of hockey hotline and the murphy show to offer much more in depth analysis, interviews, etc. We wont get anything critical of the teams, but imo thats not a necessity

How in depth do you expect a host to get that's covering a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years? It must be very hard to come up with something to talk about for hours day after day.

How in depth do you expect a host to get that's covering a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years? It must be very hard to come up with something to talk about for hours day after day.

I get that... but it just seems like nobody there has much to offer. Most have checked out and self admittedly in schopp and bulldog's case cant even be bothered to watch or follow much sports.

I blame it in large part to the program directors. Some mlb talk wouldnt hurt, nor would any number of different sports that arent bills and sabres. The nba talk recently was so refreshing and got me into it a bit. They seem to only focus outside the bills and sabres if there is a monster event or happening though.

This is a big week or 2 for the sabres... but they will beat it too far into the ground. Only so much can he said... after july 1, they will begin non stop talk about tyrod and gilmore's contracts.... throw in a couple shows on ryan's job stability.... zzzzzzz.

Ive been tuning in more and more to cbs sports radio.

I think one of the great things about empire, and even wnsa is they would cover way more than bills and sabres. You would look forward to sabres and bills talk and it wasnt beaten to death.

It is also magnified in a miserable stretch for both teams. They both could be given some time to air out

It seems like there is a lot of movement towards the growth of Pegula Sports/Entertainment. IMO they are going to be rolling out a deal for MSG WNY sometime in the next year. I think the Murphy show will be telecast/simulcast.

To me, I think Murphy does a heck of a job. Yes, he is an employee and usually tows the company line. He does it in a very professional manner and that show is put together really well. He touches on the entire league and does it well. Also has very intelligent monologue/dialogue about the Bills/team. I think he also runs a very good interview.

The rest of WGR is so cynical for the most part. Host A takes this point of view, Host B takes the other point of view.... let's take callers and beat the topic into the ground and repeat tomorrow. A "state radio" program is actually refreshing to me. Im not a big fan of Sal either. He takes his opinion (which is almost always in favor of the team) and yells about it into the mic and gives listeners headaches.

edit: well there we go

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/6/15/11943104/are-pegulas-hiring-for-western-new-york-regional-sports-network

God do I miss Empire sports!

I cried when it went away.

I prefer the "Baghdad" Bob comparison. Most of the youngsters don't know who Goebbels was, but they may remember the dude who said American troops weren't any threat to Iraq's capital in 2003. :lol:

In this case Baghdad Bob would be on our side......for bills fans that is.

Yes.....he is homeristic.....he also gets everyone on his show.

Murph and the guys on Hockey Hotline don't make for interesting talk because it's "Pegula Sponsored Radio".

I loved Murph on WBEN930 when he had a nightly radio show(6-10). Now...nothing but Bills propaganda.

Edited by LabattBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Now we know whole story - why:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/07/02/brandon-sabres-bills-deal-msg-provides-content-hungry-fans-everything-looking/

It was moved to help new broadcasting partner:

"From our standpoint, it really gives us great, broad content distribution amongst our properties," Brandon said. "It will have a very Western New York feel to it. We're going to re-appropriate some programming with some simulcasting (such as the "John Murphy Show" on the Bills that will air from noon to 3 p.m. on WGR 550 beginning with the start of training camp later this month) that I think will be very appealing to our fan base.

My least favorite WGR personality is Paul Hamilton.

Along with Schopp..he is one of my least favorites too...I stopped listening to wgr 6 months ago....don't miss it

Edited by Kemp2Warlick

Are they going to let another station put Rome on? Rome is the best part of WGR anymore, and I enjoy his perspective on all of the NFL, we don't need 6 straight hours of training camp coverage.

I like listening to Murphy, wish they would put him on from 3-6, and **** can Schopp.

I noticed in that article that it looks like Murph is going to have a co-host. That should spice the show if even just a little bit

I think the return of Chuck Dickerson as co-host would give it the spice we are looking for.

I only read the title of the thread because I don't have time now to read all the posts. My initial take is that I never thought of Pegula as spending money for the sake of spending it, but moving a show to the friggin moon is just showing off. Murph will have fun for the first week or so but he'll start going crazy from the isolation quickly. It will be sad to hear him lose it on the air like that. I don't like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the return of Chuck Dickerson as co-host would give it the spice we are looking for.

Not sure if you are being facetious (I think you probably are), but I may be one of the few people who actually liked Dickersons' show. I thought he was a major a-hole more often than not, but he was one of the very few Buffalo Bills radio coverage people who ever really offered any real insight to the actual games. I know Kelso has a decent grasp too, but he only does the games (which I don't listen too, as I am watching them in some gin mill every Sunday), so you just get a lot of people with very varying degrees of knowledge blabbering on about nothing most of the time. I personally don't even hate Schoop and Bull Dog, but they are probably the worst people they could have doing the Bills post-game show. It is un-listenable...especially when the team is losing...I can take Schoops musings during the week, but I don't want to hear that after the game. They need more knowledgeable football guys.