2-yr-old dragged into water by gator in Florida, dies

YoloinOhio

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy. Even if the kid was dipping his toes in the water, the family is from Nebraska and no way would've though a Gator was a threat there.. Apparently there is a "No Swimming" sign but nothing about risk of alligators.

I think Disney is in some serious crap here. They make it an inviting little beach/sand/play area for people. Disney is full of little kids running around. Gators can pop out of any body of water and snatch their prey from the edge. Shoulda been some serious warnings about the risks of playing near the water...

It sounds like people could play in this beach area, but couldn't swim in the water. Seemed like the kid/parents were complying, if he was like a foot from the beach.

Very horrifying.

Note: when it comes to gators and crocs, if you're in the water at all, you're not complying.

Dear Lord, that is awful. As great the weather can be, Florida is near the bottom of states I would ever live in. They have to dominate the country in most crazy news stories. Lots of hot (and crazy) women though. :flirt:

I think there's a Twitter account that goes by "Florida Man" or something like that...constant links to the crazy stojan that happens down there.

I read where the father attempted to rescue the toddler but the alligator turned and attacked him, cutting him up pretty badly. I can't begin to imagine the horror of such a thing.

I remember eons ago when my family visited Disney World (they were still building Space Mountain). I was struck by all the lakes and ponds in the Orlando area, but none of us needed to be told that there were not just alligators, but all kinds of poisonous snakes frolicking about in those pools. We just knew.

I read where the father attempted to rescue the toddler but the alligator turned and attacked him, cutting him up pretty badly. I can't begin to imagine the horror of such a thing.

I remember eons ago when my family visited Disney World (they were still building Space Mountain). I was struck by all the lakes and ponds in the Orlando area, but none of us needed to be told that there were not just alligators, but all kinds of poisonous snakes frolicking about in those pools. We just knew.

Well, this is one pond that's going to be alligator-free soon. They're killing and cutting open every gator inthat pond until the find the child's remains.

Ugh.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-child-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html

One employee at the resort who did not want to be identified said in an email "There is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." There are two at the Buena Vista Palace that people regularly feed from balconies, he said.

Ugh.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-child-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html

One employee at the resort who did not want to be identified said in an email "There is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." There are two at the Buena Vista Palace that people regularly feed from balconies, he said.

In Africa, it's well-documented that crocodiles learn patterns of prey activity, including human activity. Even today, a woman in rural Africa getting water from a river is in considerable danger from a croc that's learned that women go to the same place on the river at the same time every morning.

So if you feed crocodilians in the same place regularly, you condition them to look for food at that place. And crocodilians only recognize two things: food, and **** that's in the way of their food. And guess which you are.

So in short: DO NOT FEED THE FRIGGIN' ALLIGATORS! :wallbash: Feeding grizzly bears is probably safer.

I have stayed at this resort and sat on this very beach. Its a little sand/beach area along the lakefront. Maybe 5 feet wide of sand. Its very shallow along the edge. It seems, from what I read, that the parents were closeby and watching the child waiting for the fireworks show to begin. Its a common place to watch the fireworks.

There was a No Swimming sign posted but nothing about gators when I was there.

The problem may be that the gator may have been too used to people. Not having a natural fear of humans (maybe because the gator was hand fed at some point) meant this gator just waltzed up and saw an easy meal.

I cannot imagine anything more horrific to happen to a family. My prayers go out to them.

Edited by bills_fan

Must be horrifying for everyone involved. From everything being reported it makes me wonder why Disney didn't put up warnings for gators. It's a resort, naturally your going to get people who are unfamiliar with the threat, wouldn't it make sense too go overboard with caution rather than a kid getting hauled off? A sign indicating the presence of gators is a far bigger deterrent than a no swimming sign. What a horrible week for Orlando. Poor kid.