2-yr-old dragged into water by gator in Florida, dies

YoloinOhio

Well, this is one pond that's going to be alligator-free soon. They're killing and cutting open every gator inthat pond until the find the child's remains.

Yep, and they're probably going to find a lot more than they had estimated they would. I thought I head them say this morning that the lagoon was supposedly alligator-free, and I thought "how in hell do they know that?" - even if it's completely enclosed, what's to stop them from just walking up to it and making it their new hunting grounds?

About three miles from where I'm sitting, in a little town called Del Valle just past the Austin airport, there's a development where the retaining pond is actually home to an alligator. Many people here - even native Texans - are unaware that although very rare, alligators do live in the area rivers and lakes. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this tragedy in Orlando spurs these people to finally catch and dispatch the alligator in their retaining pond.

And by the way - I'm sure you know enough about the feeding habits of alligators to know that they probably won't be finding that poor little boy for a while. It's too gruesome to get into the details, but I suspect you're aware of that.

Edited by Azalin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in Orlando at a nice Marriott resort where I went for runs by this small golf course lake. Everyone assured me there was no chance gators were around. Bet they were lurking the whole time...

There is a good rule to go by when your in Florida. If there is water assume gators are near.

Yep, and they're probably going to find a lot more than they had estimated they would. I thought I head them say this morning that the lagoon was supposedly alligator-free, and I thought "how in hell do they know that?" - even if it's completely enclosed, what's to stop them from just walking up to it and making it their new hunting grounds?

About three miles from where I'm sitting, in a little town called Del Valle just past the Austin airport, there's a development where the retaining pond is actually home to an alligator. Many people here - even native Texans - are unaware that although very rare, alligators do live in the area rivers and lakes. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this tragedy in Orlando spurs these people to finally catch and dispatch the alligator in their retaining pond.

And by the way - I'm sure you know enough about the feeding habits of alligators to know that they probably won't be finding that poor little boy for a while. It's too gruesome to get into the details, but I suspect you're aware of that.

Yes, I am. I was surprised that they were looking inside gators, to say the least.

People still think alligators are an endangered species. Their actual status is "threatened," but in south Florida I believe they qualify as "vermin."

Which reminds me...I need to go out and get new boots.

That's about the worst thing I ever heard. I can't really even think about it in any detail. Not the kind of thing that is supposed to go down on a Disney vacation.

We stayed at that same resort last year.

Yes, I am. I was surprised that they were looking inside gators, to say the least.

People still think alligators are an endangered species. Their actual status is "threatened," but in south Florida I believe they qualify as "vermin."

Which reminds me...I need to go out and get new boots.

This is what I was referring to - and they still haven't found it.

Sometimes they're where you don't expect too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-03/'target-animal'-caught-and-killed-after-fnq-crocodile-attack/7476572

I wouldn't wade in the top end either.

I can't imagine how those folk are handling this. Just terribly sad.

Being at a resort and not from the area, having an area for play it's almost too tempting to disobey a civil sign.

Western Australia has been "sharkey" of late.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/fatal-shark-attacks-in-wa-since-2000/news-story/9f60c76ff9146252cc36d1d55c57207c#load-story-comments

Sometimes they're where you don't expect too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-03/'target-animal'-caught-and-killed-after-fnq-crocodile-attack/7476572

I wouldn't wade in the top end either.

I can't imagine how those folk are handling this. Just terribly sad.

Being at a resort and not from the area, having an area for play it's almost too tempting to disobey a civil sign.

Western Australia has been "sharkey" of late.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/fatal-shark-attacks-in-wa-since-2000/news-story/9f60c76ff9146252cc36d1d55c57207c#load-story-comments

Now THAT'S a water hazard.

Sounds like the found him 'intact' too, which I would imagine is somewhat big deal for his parents.

They still ought to kill every gator in that lake. Just because of the idiots feeding them.

Ugh.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-child-dragged-alligator-disney-20160614-story.html

One employee at the resort who did not want to be identified said in an email "There is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." There are two at the Buena Vista Palace that people regularly feed from balconies, he said.

And there in lies the problem. You can tack signs up everywhere and people still won't abide, listen to advice... Especially animal lovers. Boaters are the absolute worse! All day in sun + Alcohol = BLINDERS ON!

So many tourists in Florida, maybe they just don't process the danger in spots... BUT who would think that area where the attack happened would NOT be gator free. I guess me! It is freaking central, sticky hot, at one time old jack-water Florida. My son's friend's mother just got swept out to sea and drowned while walking along a beach on vacation in FLA. What would possess her from doing that during Tropical Storm Colin is beyond me, and from what I understand, she was afraid of the water! WTF, even in ankle deep water... STAY AWAY during storm events! People are weird about water, it is a magnet for some who should be no where near it especially not knowing how to swim! I guess I can't really blame this family from Nebraska, wouldn't they keep an area like this 100% gator free?

What an awful thing to happen. I'd rather get drunk in the winter and freeze to death in a snow bank then get pie-eyed in Florida and fall into a ditch... I guess I got standards, there are some ways you just rather not go! Poor child!

And there in lies the problem. You can tack signs up everywhere and people still won't abide, listen to advice... Especially animal lovers. Boaters are the absolute worse! All day in sun + Alcohol = BLINDERS ON!

So many tourists in Florida, maybe they just don't process the danger in spots... BUT who would think that area where the attack happened would NOT be gator free. I guess me! It is freaking central, sticky hot, at one time old jack-water Florida. My son's friend's mother just got swept out to sea and drowned while walking along a beach on vacation in FLA. What would possess her from doing that during Tropical Storm Colin is beyond me, and from what I understand, she was afraid of the water! WTF, even in ankle deep water... STAY AWAY during storm events! People are weird about water, it is a magnet for some who should be no where near it especially not knowing how to swim! I guess I can't really blame this family from Nebraska, wouldn't they keep an area like this 100% gator free?

What an awful thing to happen. I'd rather get drunk in the winter and freeze to death in a snow bank then get pie-eyed in Florida and fall into a ditch... I guess I got standards, there are some ways you just rather not go! Poor child!

That's the trick. The 'area like this' is Florida and those animals live there too. The entire Disney area is dotted with waterways. By the accounts I've read, Disney is very active in managing the issue but I can easily understand how it would be almost impossible to have a 100% success rate at keeping gators away from their resorts.

And no, you can't blame a family on vacation from Nebraska.

Edited by KD in CA

And no, you can't blame a family on vacation from Nebraska.

I don't doubt that there's more than a few Florida residents who, if vacationing in Nebraska (for whatever ungodly reason anyone would do that), would die in tragically ignorant tornado-related accidents. "Hey, look at that funny cloud! Let's take selfies with it!"

In fact, I'd bet a few of them are my in-laws.

I don't doubt that there's more than a few Florida residents who, if vacationing in Nebraska (for whatever ungodly reason anyone would do that), would die in tragically ignorant tornado-related accidents. "Hey, look at that funny cloud! Let's take selfies with it!"

In fact, I'd bet a few of them are my in-laws.

Corn

Now THAT'S a water hazard.

They still ought to kill every gator in that lake. Just because of the idiots feeding them.

Just kill the idiots feeding them and move the alligators to golf courses; there are enough golf courses in Florida for all of the alligators.

Well, that's horrifying. I can't imagine what the family is going through. I never want to live in gator country. Horrific bug populations usually go hand in hand with gators and I can't tolerate them either. On a related note, my son's friend and his family are moving to the Orlando area next week. Shudder.

Just kill the idiots feeding them and move the alligators to golf courses; there are enough golf courses in Florida for all of the alligators.

I've seen several gators both in and out of the water on golf courses in FL. Once there was an one about 8' laying out in the sun on the front of the green.

We all took an extra club on the approach shot.

I've seen several gators both in and out of the water on golf courses in FL. Once there was an one about 8' laying out in the sun on the front of the green.

We all took an extra club on the approach shot.

How about this recent sighting...