Topic of the day for Sunday 6/12--EJ Manuel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's legitimately top 10 among backups. There are only about five guys I put clearly above him:

Matt Hasselbeck

Drew Stanton

Derek Anderson

Shaun Hill

Matt Moore

After that, there are about 5 or 6 you could throw in a hat (including EJ) and pretty much come out the same (I think).

Hasselback is retired. He didn't come back to Indy.

Regarding EJ after this year...

As Captain Quint said to Richard Dreyfus and Roy Scheider in Jaws. You go in the water, shark's in the water, "Farewell and adieu to your fair Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu to your ladies of Spain, because we've received orders to sail back to Boston, and never more will we see you again"

Does that make my feelings clear on EJ? Top 5 back up? Back ups are supposed to be at the worst to get you to .500 when you're out. Does anyone remember the Bengals and Jax game? I've said for a couple of years we should have picked up Hasselback as our #2, but he hung the, up now. He was excellent for Indy last year until he started breaking down. He would have won that Jags game for us.

I think he's legitimately top 10 among backups. There are only about five guys I put clearly above him:

Matt Hasselbeck

Drew Stanton

Derek Anderson

Shaun Hill

Matt Moore

After that, there are about 5 or 6 you could throw in a hat (including EJ) and pretty much come out the same (I think).

That would have to be a huge hat to get 5-6 men in there.

My gut reaction is similar to FC's somewhere between 18 and 20. But I thought I'd test that by actually looking at who that compares him to. If we start from the premise that Lynch and Wentz both start as the backups (if they don't Bradford is a top tier backup and Sanchez is around the EJ mark for me) then 9 of 32 franchises will start 2016 with a backup that has never started an NFL game. Therefore they all start as unranked for me and we are actually ranking among 23.

Of the 23 who remain here, in no particular order, is who I think is definitely better:

- Matt Moore (Dolphins)

- Josh McCown (Browns)

- AJ McCarron (Bengals)

- Zach Mettenberger (Chargers)

- Colin Kaepernick (49ers)

- Drew Stanton (Cardinals)

- Derek Anderson (Panthers)

- Brian Hoyer (Bears)

- Shaun Hill (Vikings)

Here, in no particular order are those I think are in the same general area and up for debate:

- Bruce Gradowski (Steelers)

- Chad Henne (Jaguars)

- Colt McCoy (Redskins)

- Luke McCown (Saints)

- Case Keenum (Rams)

- Geno Smith (Jets)

- Mike Glennon (Buccs) - I know I will take heat for this but he really is not as good as a lot of people on here think.

Here, in no particular order, are the guys I would definitely take EJ before:

- Ryan Mallett (Ravens)

- Scott Tolzien (Colts)

- Matt Cassell (Titans)

- Brandon Weeden (Texans)

- Matt Schaub (Falcons)

- Dan Orlovsky (Lions)

I should also clarify in the case of the two Matts in that last list it is just that the arms have totally gone. both looked like they struggled to throw it more than 5 yards when they got on the field last season. At their best both were starters, Schaub a top 15 QB, but at this point they are basically worthless if called upon to play.

The conclusion is if you put EJ at the very top of the 2nd group (which I probably wouldn't) then you could argue he is 10th best of the 23 who have started. That is his ceiling in the list for me. If you put him at the bottom of that 2nd list (which again I probably wouldn't) he would be about 17th out of 23. The truth for me is he is probably about 12th or 13th of that 23, but then there are probably a handful of the guys who haven't yet played who are better backup options than him - it is just hard to rank that at this stage.

Edited by GunnerBill

If EJ has to throw it over 40 times he loses. That is the question here, right? Which QB in his career wins when he has no running game or is behind. Run the numbers on the above QBs and I believe you'd only find a handful (maybe 5) that win a majority of games beyond 40 pass attempts.

If EJ has to throw it over 40 times he loses. That is the question here, right? Which QB in his career wins when he has no running game or is behind. Run the numbers on the above QBs and I believe you'd only find a handful (maybe 5) that win a majority of games beyond 40 pass attempts.

The beauty of EJ is that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. He has to throw 40 times because he stinks so bad that we're down a bunch of points.

Well I say beauty, but I really mean horror show.

Didn't we have the #1 running game last year, and a decent O-Line? He was 0-2.

I'll make a prediction. EJ starts at minimum 3 games this season, and plays so well that we have a QB controversy on our hands when Taylor gets healthy.

This was supposed to happen last season. EJ did not start a QB controversy then either. But to be fair the defense lost those games just as much as EJ.

This was supposed to happen last season. EJ did not start a QB controversy then either. But to be fair the defense lost those games just as much as EJ.

But, it was EJ who was the deciding factor in my "quitting" those games for golf.