Topic of the day for Sunday 6/12--EJ Manuel

Hasselback is retired. He didn't come back to Indy.

Regarding EJ after this year...

As Captain Quint said to Richard Dreyfus and Roy Scheider in Jaws. You go in the water, shark's in the water, "Farewell and adieu to your fair Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu to your ladies of Spain, because we've received orders to sail back to Boston, and never more will we see you again"

Does that make my feelings clear on EJ? Top 5 back up? Back ups are supposed to be at the worst to get you to .500 when you're out. Does anyone remember the Bengals and Jax game? I've said for a couple of years we should have picked up Hasselback as our #2, but he hung the, up now. He was excellent for Indy last year until he started breaking down. He would have won that Jags game for us.

that's a brilliant scene but I have no idea how that expresses your feelings concerning EJ.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ has to throw it over 40 times he loses. That is the question here, right? Which QB in his career wins when he has no running game or is behind. Run the numbers on the above QBs and I believe you'd only find a handful (maybe 5) that win a majority of games beyond 40 pass attempts.

What a lot of fans here don't get is that was also true for Taylor last season. When the run game was working well the entire offense worked well and when the Bills QB was forced to throw more than they ran it the Bills lost every game.

Another thing that is interesting is that EJ threw 42 times against both the Bengals and the Jags! Against Cincy 42 pass attempts vs 23 rush attempts and against the Jags 42 pass attempts vs 28 rush attempts. That was a quality team on a hot streak that EJ faced against Cincy and Ryan's defense allowed 34 points and no sacks.

EJ against Jacksonville threw for 298 yards 2 TD's and 2 INT's and although EJ had a terrible first half, he almost pulled out the game at the end. That is if Ryan's defense hadn't given up an 84-yard drive for a TD with 5:19 remaining.

What I hated watching more than EJ's bumbling failure in the first half of that Jags game was that the Bills defense couldn't stop Bortles when it counted! Then Andy Dalton went 23 of 33 for 243 and 3 TD's and no Buffalo Bills defensive player touched Dalton all game.

As someone else stated it's just difficult to rank a grade at this stage. EJ was tutored by morons his first two years and nobody really knows if Greg Roman can coach him up at this point. Gotta wait and see.

What a lot of fans here don't get is that was also true for Taylor last season. When the run game was working well the entire offense worked well and when the Bills QB was forced to throw more than they ran it the Bills lost every game.

Another thing that is interesting is that EJ threw 42 times against both the Bengals and the Jags! Against Cincy 42 pass attempts vs 23 rush attempts and against the Jags 42 pass attempts vs 28 rush attempts. That was a quality team on a hot streak that EJ faced against Cincy and Ryan's defense allowed 34 points and no sacks.

EJ against Jacksonville threw for 298 yards 2 TD's and 2 INT's and although EJ had a terrible first half, he almost pulled out the game at the end. That is if Ryan's defense hadn't given up an 84-yard drive for a TD with 5:19 remaining.

What I hated watching more than EJ's bumbling failure in the first half of that Jags game was that the Bills defense couldn't stop Bortles when it counted! Then Andy Dalton went 23 of 33 for 243 and 3 TD's and no Buffalo Bills defensive player touched Dalton all game.

As someone else stated it's just difficult to rank a grade at this stage. EJ was tutored by morons his first two years and nobody really knows if Greg Roman can coach him up at this point. Gotta wait and see.

Nah. We took the lead with a pick six. Defense was the only reason we stayed in it.

EJ doesn't have to throw 40+ times if he doesn't give up 21 points on his own.

He's definitely among the top tier of backups in my book. Is that what we wanted from him? Nope. Will we keep him around as that? Probably not, I imagine he'll go somewhere that might 'promise' him a shot at starting.

Nah. We took the lead with a pick six. Defense was the only reason we stayed in it.

EJ doesn't have to throw 40+ times if he doesn't give up 21 points on his own.

Not entirely as I recall it. The Bills defense only got that one turnover all game and sacked Bortles only twice all game.

With 6:41 to go in the game EJ threw a 58-yard bomb to Marcus Easley for a TD and then the Bills took the lead with that pick six. Let's also not forget that Sammy Watkins didn't play in that Jags game and McCoy had only 68 rushes on 18 attempts. Not like anyone on that Bills offense had a great day.

Like I said, If the Bills could have stopped Bortles on that 84-yard TD with 5:21 to go, the Bills win that game. Let's face it as that happened quite a bit last year as the defense rarely got sacks, QB pressure on any QB. I don't blame EJ as much as the rest of the fan base for that game. JMO

Not entirely as I recall it. The Bills defense only got that one turnover all game and sacked Bortles only twice all game.

With 6:41 to go in the game EJ threw a 58-yard bomb to Marcus Easley for a TD and then the Bills took the lead with that pick six. Let's also not forget that Sammy Watkins didn't play in that Jags game and McCoy had only 68 rushes on 18 attempts. Not like anyone on that Bills offense had a great day.

Like I said, If the Bills could have stopped Bortles on that 84-yard TD with 5:21 to go, the Bills win that game. Let's face it as that happened quite a bit last year as the defense rarely got sacks, QB pressure on any QB. I don't blame EJ as much as the rest of the fan base for that game. JMO

Held the Jags to 14 and scored 7. I'd say they did fine, little sack total or not.

Edited by FireChan

You must not remember EJ's last drive in London. :sick:

Plenty of time left to still win the game, but unfortunately, Jax was no longer playing prevent D by then.

Ranking EJ Manuel when he should have been released a long time ago is pointless! The longer he stays on this team the more of a reminder the wasted pick remains. Can we PLEASE take out the garbage already?

We'll mark you down as 4th quartile.

All things considered i would say he is top 5. I think his stats back it up. Yeh he had a couple disastrous games but in fairness he turned the jax game around and we should have won without the phantom pi call on robe. And when we played cincy they were the top ranked d from what i recall. I also recall sammy being out during those games. His top receivers were an injured woods and chris hogan.

Not a huge EJ guy as a starter, but as a backup he had the tools if he has weapons and a run game. His ceiling is much higher than other backups.

As Captain Quint said to Richard Dreyfus and Roy Scheider in Jaws. You go in the water, shark's in the water, "Farewell and adieu to your fair Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu to your ladies of Spain, because we've received orders to sail back to Boston, and never more will we see you again"

Does that make my feelings clear on EJ? Top 5 back up? Back ups are supposed to be at the worst to get you to .500 when you're out. Does anyone remember the Bengals and Jax game? I've said for a couple of years we should have picked up Hasselback as our #2, but he hung the, up now. He was excellent for Indy last year until he started breaking down. He would have won that Jags game for us.

many folks forget that EJ played great the second half of the jax game. Shady even fumbled away a great scoring chance late, and EJ took the lead in that game. The defense couldn't hold on late. We were up 31 to 27 with 5 minutes left.

Joe- the message in the scene is he is going away when he gets into that cage. EJ is going away once his guaranteed money is over this year. I have zero confidence in his decision making just like when he was at FSU.

JAXbills- he put us in the position in the first place with absolutely horrible decisions with those turnovers. It still amazes me anyone wants him on this team. Of course, everyone has their right to their opinion, and maybe he was handled poorly as a rookie, but he is not going to change.

He seems like a nice young man. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Joe- the message in the scene is he is going away when he gets into that cage. EJ is going away once his guaranteed money is over this year.

JAXbills- he put us in the position in the first place with absolutely horrible decisions with those turnovers. It still amazes me anyone wants him on this team. Of course, everyone has their right to their opinion, and maybe he was handled poorly as a rookie, but he is not going to change.

He seems like a nice young man. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

he deals with adversity well. After a horrible half he made great strides in that game. After he started playing well (with two beautiful TD'S to Woods and Easley) the rest of the team contributed to that loss as well. Shady's fumble was big.

Please don't think that I believe EJ will develop into a top tier passer, but I also think people can get so set in their view, that can't see any good in him any more. We reached for him. The word on him was he wasn't ready. I still think he starts for somebody at some point.

Edited by JaxBills

Nobody available within our price range - upgrading would be nice but its a luxury we don't have. We might have the money now to sign someone - but nobody is worth it.

Cardale will probably take over in a year as the new backup QB as EJ's 5th year was not picked up.

With regards to that draft... 5 of the top 10 picks also did not have their 5th years picked up. Was just a poor draft in general... We took a shot at the highest upside QB and missed. So did miami (jordan), cleveland, arizona, jax, NYJ and a bunch of other teams in the first.

It's great if your backup gets you to .500.

But each year in the NFL, starting QBs win 256 games and lose 256 games. I'm not sure it's realistic to expect your backup to keep pace with that.

More or less by definition, .500 is what an average starter goes.

Edited by hondo in seattle

You need to let this go eventually. He is still a good backup, better than the list available right now. Two games don't define a career. Were you good at what you do (whatever you do for llving) without working on your crafts for a while? If Rex and Roman cannot fix him then they will cut him. They have not done that yet. Why are you getting all worked up about it?

Edited by Big Hurt