Topic of the day for Wednesday 6/8

Steve Tasker rule - they changed how special teams were played because multiple teams could not block him no matter what they did.

2nd place: tucks_cooling_pads.jpg "Tuck Rule" made up to protect Tom Brady - remember they are not just for rectal use but vaginal as well.

From K-9:

'Rule Change That Had Greatest Impact on the Game.'

I call moving the hash marks in.

So K-9 what reason(s) make you say this? What was the impact of moving in the hashes? Where was the greatest impact felt?

What was the game before the move and what did the move facilitate?

In the history of the game, the forward pass.

In recent years, Id say the biggest change are penalties for unecessary roughness/ defenseless receiver/ touching the qbs helmet/leading with the helmet/ etc. When you see a hard hit now, everyone looks around for a flag.

So K-9 what reason(s) make you say this? What was the impact of moving in the hashes? Where was the greatest impact felt?

What was the game before the move and what did the move facilitate?

It forced defenses to defend bigger areas and really opened things up for offenses in both the run and pass game as a result. Before they moved the hashes, the short side of the field was much more hemmed in with the sideline acting as a 12th defender.

Another rule change that had huge impact but doesn't get much mention anymore, was allowing offensive lineman to extend their arms.

GO BILLS!!!

Steve Tasker rule - they changed how special teams were played because multiple teams could not block him no matter what they did.

2nd place: tucks_cooling_pads.jpg "Tuck Rule" made up to protect Tom Brady - remember they are not just for rectal use but vaginal as well.

after great internal debate I submit this to be true. The tuck rule was the most significant rule change. Not because it was used to inflate a deflating, cheating, lousy excuse for a professional organization owned by a sleezy owner and in a shithole town but because the rule was changed just years later after serving its purpose for one game

In 1974 they moved the goal post to the back end line, if they left the damn thing where it was the kick would have been in Norwoods range!

THat is very true but I still feel after watching it again that it would have been closer but I still feel it would have been wide.

THat is very true but I still feel after watching it again that it would have been closer but I still feel it would have been wide.

Yes that kick would have missed, but if it was 10 yards closer maybe that affects his mindset and approach. Instead of pushing his range he would have been in a spot that he was as accustomed to kicking from.

In the history of the game, the forward pass.

In recent years, Id say the biggest change are penalties for unecessary roughness/ defenseless receiver/ touching the qbs helmet/leading with the helmet/ etc. When you see a hard hit now, everyone looks around for a flag.

+1

The hash marks was huge, but consider how different the game would be if you could still jam a WR from the LOS, or the head slap, rules against QB hits, leg sweep, and so on.

This game has evolved significantly over time, so it's hard to say what was the one thing when Deacon Jones supposedly had 36 sacks Ina 14 game season, when he basically blew up lineman's ear hole, before they started counting. Or how about Ronny Lott basically decapitating guys in the secondary. You want to talk about tough WR back then. It's amazing there were not more serious injuries back then.

I'm not saying the good old days as ur players are bigger faster, stronger, and people would seriously get hurt playing in old rules.

Anyway, good thread for a point of conversation. I love hearing especially from of the students of the game. I loved the history lesson the other day about the old professional leagues with the team in Tonawanda.

The defensive holdings and pass interference rule changes over the last decade has made a huge impact. These penalties have changed the game into what it has become, a QB driven league. Couple them with the fact you can barely touch the QB anymore , and it is easy to see how the league has become pass happy .