When do I have the right to run over a high end cyclist?

GottaRun

Which I don't want to do, but **** am I getting annoyed with these people. We've got a new law in Ontario which says all cars must give cyclists 3ft of clearance when overtaking. Fine.

This morning I was driving through our downtown when 30 of these people were riding in a group (no big deal), the same 30 were taking up an entire lane (again no big deal as there were two lanes), but (and here's the kicker) apparently everytime one of these high end cyclists farts or gets a small arm movement it's a sign to other cyclists to move away from a crack in the road, manhole cover, rock, piece of gum. Today these idiots were randomly zipping over from the entire lane they were in and into the lane I was in, without looking. I almost hit one today. This led to me screaming every swear word I know (and I discovered I know several) and to them yelling at me about their rights to be on the road.

So my question is this, am I ever going to be in a position where I hit one of these morons with a death wish and it's not going to be my fault? Surely when a bike darts in front of a car without looking it can't be the drivers fault. Do you have this problem in NY state? Or is this just a rich wanker Southern Ontario problem?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idiot bikers who play roulette with their lives because they feel entitled to swerving into lanes of 5000lb vehicles moving at high speed is not unique to Canada. Idiots are everywhere.

I get it you wa,t to ride your bike, but don't risk death or causing an accident because you want to ride as close to traffic as possible. Its super annoying.

Oh great. Here I sit bright and early on a Sunday morning. Enjoying a nice cup of coffee and you ruin it with this.

I recently told my wife that if some !@#$ bicyclist darts in front of me and I kill them I'm going to jail even if it was 100% their fault. Those precious little babies that are saving the planet two wheels at a time are not to be disturbed!

Kill them all! These stupid cyclists who despise sidewalks must die.

Oh I'm sorry but the ones I hate the most are the ones that feel that riding on the sidewalk is their privilege. They need to be taken out. And not killed humanely. They need to suffer a long slow torturous death.

People ask me if I'm afraid to ride a motorcycle, and I say not as afraid as I'd be to ride a bike. Sure, someone might not see me and cut me off, but on a bike someone might hit me on purpose. Too many angry drivers out there. When I'm jogging alone I use to get yelled at, flicked off and swerved at by these people. Usually older cranky people. Almost always in pick up trucks or those panel vans. Then I got an ARMY tee shirt and they don't bother me as much. It's a culture thing, imo.

"Share the road" is apparently only applicable to drivers.

Yeah, I don't see why people driving cars at 12mph in a 45 zone would get upset. Never mind the fact that the roads weren't designed with bicyclists in mind. If there was a possibility to share the road through installed bike lanes then there wouldn't be a problem (other than the fact that bicyclists assume that stop signs/lights don't apply to them).

People ask me if I'm afraid to ride a motorcycle, and I say not as afraid as I'd be to ride a bike. Sure, someone might not see me and cut me off, but on a bike someone might hit me on purpose. Too many angry drivers out there. When I'm jogging alone I use to get yelled at, flicked off and swerved at by these people. Usually older cranky people. Almost always in pick up trucks or those panel vans. Then I got an ARMY tee shirt and they don't bother me as much. It's a culture thing, imo.

I like motorcycles but my issue with two wheels on the highway in general is that if people have to be told to "look twice" for me because I am driving a small narrow, unsafe vehicle like a bike or motorcycle then I am not being accountable for my own life.........and therefore asking for people to treat me like a child so they avoid killing me.

I know a lot of bikers don't expect the world to go out of their way for them and they drive highly aware knowing that it really is THEIR job not to be killed by other motorists......but because there are some that don't anticipate the worst and get in jams and get killed it's demanded of us as auto drivers.

If you are going to be on the highway be on a vehicle that isn't easy to lose in a side view mirror etc.

The new 3 wheel motorcycles are better for that and the slingshots, while low set, are basically the best option for that motorcycle experience without putting people in a position where they might accidentally kill you..... IMO.

I know a lot of bikers don't expect the world to go out of their way for them and they drive highly aware knowing that it really is THEIR job not to be killed by other motorists......but because there are some that don't anticipate the worst and get in jams and get killed it's demanded of us as auto drivers.

This is what's really pissing me off. I know several cyclists who are fantastic and look after themselves, I ride my bicycle mainly for 4 months a year, but I never ride directly in front of a car because somehow it's 'my right'. Some cyclists are mixing up being an environmental rebel with being a moron.

Kill them all! These stupid cyclists who despise sidewalks must die.

Oh I'm sorry but the ones I hate the most are the ones that feel that riding on the sidewalk is their privilege. They need to be taken out. And not killed humanely. They need to suffer a long slow torturous death.

You and Ryan need to be in a cage fight; let butcher cleavers be weapons since I know you know how to use them.

Make you both ride bikes in cage fight.

Oh great. Here I sit bright and early on a Sunday morning. Enjoying a nice cup of coffee and you ruin it with this.

I recently told my wife that if some !@#$ bicyclist darts in front of me and I kill them I'm going to jail even if it was 100% their fault. Those precious little babies that are saving the planet two wheels at a time are not to be disturbed!

I'm gonna leave this right here for you.

Edited by BringBackFergy

My buddy and I took a trip to Saranac, NY, which borders Lake Placid. The roads are hilly and windy and the shoulders are narrow.

Yet ... still ... literally hundreds of the Spandex Mafia were lining both sides of the road. When I say windy, i mean lots of turns (not blustery winds), so there's schitty visibility, anyway.

At one point, there was a bicyclist in the middle of the oncoming lane with a car behind him. He had to have known that a car could not possibly safely attempt to pass him, so he was just being a dick.

I would never wish ill will on anyone - especially someone I don't know, nor would I ever purposely hurt someone. But if staying in my lane/not going into another lane in order to miss one of these ass holes, is the difference between my safety and a bicyclist ... I'm choosing "me" 100% of the time.

DRIDDLES and all - As a cyclist, and this will sound very hollow, I apologize to you for their actions. "Proper" etiquette is that they should be in a line of pairs of cyclists. When there is a vehicle coming from behind they should merge themselves into a single line. And if the group is that large, they should break that group into a couple of smaller ones so that they don't create a long line for motorists to pass around.

My only request is that when you do come up to other cyclists that are using good common sense that you give us enough room and time when you pass. I've had a number of close calls where just waiting 15 seconds would provide me, you, and oncoming car(s) enough room to pass without putting anyone at risk.

DRIDDLES and all - As a cyclist, and this will sound very hollow, I apologize to you for their actions. "Proper" etiquette is that they should be in a line of pairs of cyclists. When there is a vehicle coming from behind they should merge themselves into a single line. And if the group is that large, they should break that group into a couple of smaller ones so that they don't create a long line for motorists to pass around.

My only request is that when you do come up to other cyclists that are using good common sense that you give us enough room and time when you pass. I've had a number of close calls where just waiting 15 seconds would provide me, you, and oncoming car(s) enough room to pass without putting anyone at risk.

Giving 3 ft minimum space is the law now in Ontario. These members of the 'Spandex Mafia' (thanks Gugny!) are using it like an impenetrable field to frustrate drivers. They seem to think the shield will save them if a car attempts to enter 'their' space. The city caved into this group of people and provided bike lanes on our most popular streets so they could ride in safety. Problem solved, right? No. Instead of riding in the provided lane these asshats ride side by side so that one of them continues to block traffic. Others ignore the lane completely because it's their 'right' to ride on the road.

I can appreciate that most riders (myself included) ride with common sense based on survival, but these idiots ride like they think they are bulletproof. Some kids are going to grow up without dads because some idiot gets himself killed trying to prove a point.