When do I have the right to run over a high end cyclist?

GottaRun

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving 3 ft minimum space is the law now in Ontario. These members of the 'Spandex Mafia' (thanks Gugny!) are using it like an impenetrable field to frustrate drivers. They seem to think the shield will save them if a car attempts to enter 'their' space. The city caved into this group of people and provided bike lanes on our most popular streets so they could ride in safety. Problem solved, right? No. Instead of riding in the provided lane these asshats ride side by side so that one of them continues to block traffic. Others ignore the lane completely because it's their 'right' to ride on the road.

I can appreciate that most riders (myself included) ride with common sense based on survival, but these idiots ride like they think they are bulletproof. Some kids are going to grow up without dads because some idiot gets himself killed trying to prove a point.

With you 100%!

I like motorcycles but my issue with two wheels on the highway in general is that if people have to be told to "look twice" for me because I am driving a small narrow, unsafe vehicle like a bike or motorcycle then I am not being accountable for my own life.........and therefore asking for people to treat me like a child so they avoid killing me.

I know a lot of bikers don't expect the world to go out of their way for them and they drive highly aware knowing that it really is THEIR job not to be killed by other motorists......but because there are some that don't anticipate the worst and get in jams and get killed it's demanded of us as auto drivers.

If you are going to be on the highway be on a vehicle that isn't easy to lose in a side view mirror etc.

The new 3 wheel motorcycles are better for that and the slingshots, while low set, are basically the best option for that motorcycle experience without putting people in a position where they might accidentally kill you..... IMO.

I can't disagree with this. My issue with the bicycle is that I know people will try to intimidate or scare you just because they hate bicyclists. On the Motorcycle is careless people that are the danger, IMO

DRIDDLES and all - As a cyclist, and this will sound very hollow, I apologize to you for their actions. "Proper" etiquette is that they should be in a line of pairs of cyclists. When there is a vehicle coming from behind they should merge themselves into a single line. And if the group is that large, they should break that group into a couple of smaller ones so that they don't create a long line for motorists to pass around.

My only request is that when you do come up to other cyclists that are using good common sense that you give us enough room and time when you pass. I've had a number of close calls where just waiting 15 seconds would provide me, you, and oncoming car(s) enough room to pass without putting anyone at risk.

Same with joggers. Some people just take part of the road and dare cars to hit them almost. No way, I stay as far away from the cars as I can

I can't disagree with this. My issue with the bicycle is that I know people will try to intimidate or scare you just because they hate bicyclists. On the Motorcycle is careless people that are the danger, IMO

Same with joggers. Some people just take part of the road and dare cars to hit them almost. No way, I stay as far away from the cars as I can

I just put my motorcycle on Craigslist for sale.

The texters and the careless drivers put more fear in me than fun. It's just not worth it, anymore, to me. It's a goddamn shame, because I really enjoy riding.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it was, but I find this a little hard to believe:

the cyclists were in the shoulder of the northbound lane when they were hit from behind

That would be the first time in recorded history that nine cyclists all stayed in the shoulder.

This is from the comment section:

I understand the great thrill of cycling. I do get it. But most of the infrastructure in the U.S. is really not designed for cyclists. All too often they like to ride on two lane roads and it does great some real concerns. I have no idea what happened here. This could be DWI, inattentive driving or something else. It is just very risky today to ride bicycles with cars. It looks like at least here there was some sort of shoulder for these cyclists. What a tragic shame for these families.

One of the challenges is where they ride. I spend a lot of time up in NorCal wine country. Very rural and a huge attraction for bicyclists. Not only do they not ride on the shoulder there is often no shoulder for them to ride on even if they wanted to. And the roads are very curvy so you never know what's around the corner. I've been up there enough to know that when I go around a bend to go slow. I'm surprised someone isn't killed every weekend up there.

DRIDDLES and all - As a cyclist, and this will sound very hollow, I apologize to you for their actions. "Proper" etiquette is that they should be in a line of pairs of cyclists. When there is a vehicle coming from behind they should merge themselves into a single line. And if the group is that large, they should break that group into a couple of smaller ones so that they don't create a long line for motorists to pass around.

My only request is that when you do come up to other cyclists that are using good common sense that you give us enough room and time when you pass. I've had a number of close calls where just waiting 15 seconds would provide me, you, and oncoming car(s) enough room to pass without putting anyone at risk.

Thank you for sanity here.

It also gets me that many cyclists seem to think that road laws and signage do not apply to them. I was at a T intersection with a three way stop in my car, I came to a stop and a large group of cyclists coming to the through part of the T chose simply to ignore the stop sign as a pack and then block the lane Iwas turning into. As a result I had to follow them for some time as they did not then go into a single file as you mentioned and there was not a safe place for me to pass.

I get it that they have as much right to the road as I do but they do not get to act like idiots nor do I.

11th annual Tulsa Tough this weekend. This has grown into one of the largest bicycle festivals in the nation. Three days of racing ending on " cry baby hill". It has become a "must go" event for most professional racers.

Google tulsa tough crybaby hill. One hell of a party!