9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a concocted "controversy" inspired by the safe-space types.

Cool. If it's not an offensive term, then lets you and I head down to the rez. I want to watch you walk around and greet people with "What's up, Redskin?! :) " and see how that all goes over. Shouldnt be a problem since it's a term of "respect" and this article proves that no one cares about it, right?

ANYONE that thinks the name isnt a problem and shouldnt be changed should accept this challenge. Let me know when you want to head down.

Edited by DrDareustein

Cool. If it's not an offensive term, then lets you and I head down to the rez. I want to watch you walk around and greet people with "What's up, Redskin?! :) " and see how that all goes over. Shouldnt be a problem since it's a term of "respect" and this article proves that no one cares about it, right?

ANYONE that thinks the name isnt a problem and shouldnt be changed should accept this challenge. Let me know when you want to head down.

Okay.

over

?

can no longer be called red meat as this is offensive and must be called Skeletal Striated Contractile Protein

SJW= Social Justice Warrior. SJWs are generally crazy people that believe some really crazy ****.

These are people that think air conditioning is sexist:

Apparently it's sexist to ban all single gender clubs, and not exclude women from that rule:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/09/harvard-women-rally-against-single-gender-policy/h8AqIk3ub40v2cnLap4gFP/story.html

There are many, many more examples but the general rule is that SJWs wish the oppressed to become the opressors.

Ooh, it's a bit of a hike but I should be able to make it that early on Monday. Will PM you details this weekend. No fair if you are actually Joe though.

I can't promise you'll be safe, you Custer.

Quick question though. If I walked around calling every NA a "Seminole," wouldn't a large majority get mad/offended? Does that make it racist and /or derogatory?

Edited by FireChan

I can't promise you'll be safe, you Custer.

Quick question though. If I walked around calling every NA a "Seminole," wouldn't a large majority get mad/offended? Does that make it racist and /or derogatory?

Yes, they'd probably get mad. But not because the term itself is racist or derogatory, rather because your incorrect use of it is insulting.

It's like the difference between calling a Korean person Chinese (annoying, insulting, and you look like an ignorant ass), versus calling them a chink (racist, hateful, derogatory).

Yes, they'd probably get mad. But not because the term itself is racist or derogatory, rather because your incorrect use of it is insulting.

It's like the difference between calling a Korean person Chinese (annoying, insulting, and you look like an ignorant ass), versus calling them a chink (racist, hateful, derogatory).

I think it could be very easily argued that calling someone appearing Oriental "Chinese" is racist. Like the definition.

It's insulting because you're making an assumption of their race based on how they look, no?

Edited by FireChan

I think it could be very easily argued that calling someone appearing Oriental "Chinese" is racist. Like the definition.

It's insulting because you're making an assumption of their race based on how they look, no?

lol, "oriental".

Now I want Chinese food served by a native American in the women's bathroom in the city of Washington DC.

Actually, if you bred Chinese to Native American would they be a yellow skin? Or would be a yerrow skin?

The only thing about "Washington Redskins" that offends me is "Washington".

Interestingly, for as much as people say that the Giants and Jets should be called New Jersey and not New York for the same reasons the Redskins should really be the Maryland Redskins.

Now I want Chinese food served by a native American in the women's bathroom in the city of Washington DC.

Actually, if you bred Chinese to Native American would they be a yellow skin? Or would be a yerrow skin?

Yellow plus Red is Orange, dude. :lol:

edit: I guess Syracuse would have to change their name, AGAIN (they used to be the Saltine Warriors, but moved away from that racist mascot in the 70s)

Edited by DrDareustein

New Poll: How many Native Americans own a Redskins' jersey? And what percentage of Native Americans is that?

Guess you should have taken the over on the page count

Edited by iinii

Maybe they should have polled white, urban SJWs to get the 'correct' answer.

?

Its a derogatory term used by trolls to refer to normal people that bother to argue with trolls on the internet. Sort of like a millennial version of the term, "libtard." Accordingly, the vast majority of the people wielding the cudgel are less intelligent and less reasonable than the vast majority of the people it is wielded against.

Its a derogatory term used by trolls to refer to normal people that bother to argue with trolls on the internet. Sort of like a millennial version of the term, "libtard." Accordingly, the vast majority of the people wielding the cudgel are less intelligent and less reasonable than the vast majority of the people it is wielded against.

is that an opinion or a fact?

If you called me an a**hole, or any other insulting word, I wouldn't feel offended because my self-esteem is internal and not based on what you say. But calling another human being 'a**hole' is wrong nonetheless.

What if only 10% of blacks said the 'N" word was offensive? Would it then be okay to use it as a team nickname? What if only 10% of Hispanics felt offended by the pejorative "sp*c." Could we then name a NFL club with that term?

This poll, and questions of methodology aside, the "Redsk*n" name remains wrong.

Folks, there's hundreds of Native American high schools and middle schools that use implied derogatory names for their teams. The media completely ignores this and continues on the path of trying to make a villain out of the Washington Redskins. I'm about 12.5% Five Nations-Seneca Tribe-Waterson Clan and just don't see it. It comes down to context for me, and if you're going to make the Redskins team name a bad thing, then we need to make every rapper using the "N-word" a bad thing as well. Now I don't believe that necessarily either, as again, I think you have to put it everything in context. Redskins, Yankees, Indians, Patriots, Browns, and many other team names can offend someone that puts the name in their own context. Does that mean we should abandon all of sports history in the name of being politically correct for the minority? Sounds pretty stupid to me all around.

Folks, there's hundreds of Native American high schools and middle schools that use implied derogatory names for their teams. The media completely ignores this and continues on the path of trying to make a villain out of the Washington Redskins. I'm about 12.5% Five Nations-Seneca Tribe-Waterson Clan and just don't see it. It comes down to context for me, and if you're going to make the Redskins team name a bad thing, then we need to make every rapper using the "N-word" a bad thing as well. Now I don't believe that necessarily either, as again, I think you have to put it everything in context. Redskins, Yankees, Indians, Patriots, Browns, and many other team names can offend someone that puts the name in their own context. Does that mean we should abandon all of sports history in the name of being politically correct for the minority? Sounds pretty stupid to me all around.

If the "media completely ignores this," did you find out for yourself by driving around the country checking for mascot names? Or did you learn it in the media?

I respect your point of view. While we can argue numbers, certainly a substantial percentage of Native Americans do not consider the word offensive.

So do we just say FU to the ones that do? Or can we respect their point of view, too?