The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

What it comes down to are two groups dealing with the disappointments of being Bills fan:

Some handle it in a rational but mostly unproductive manner.......by blaming the organization who ultimately is responsible for the wins and losses in a sport that is ALL ABOUT wins and losses.

It's mostly unproductive because there really is nothing we can do about it. It may feel better to talk about it but it's not our fault and we can't change it by caring.

Others, perhaps due to esteem issues, can't deal with their emotions rationally and instead displace their frustration by trying to find fault in other fans.......and in doing so they make themselves feel superior to other, invested fans of the team.....making them feel better about themselves.....easing or at least distracting them from their pain.

I jab you guys because the badgering of other disappointed fans is bad for conversation.....the reason I come here.......but I get it......you are vulnerable and you care a lot and are also disappointed.

But it's as simple as this:

The Bills routinely suck because relative to the owners and employees of other organizations they are generally less effective at their jobs.

It's not the fault of anyone outside of OBD.

Well said!

I've seen this same kind of stupid bull**t post repeatedly. It's absolute garbage. Post something positive and it goes ignored by the Kool Aid Krew. Then post something negative and s**t like the above gets spewed by them. Every single time. It doesn't matter how positive you've been in other posts or how correct you've been in your negative ones, The Kool Aid Krew will be there to bash you. Believe it or not, there's some realists out here just trying to see things as they are. If we see something good, we say it's good. If we see something bad, we say it's bad. Then we change our views based on new information - and here's the tricky part - without contorting the facts into what we want to believe or fear. I look at it as Living In The Real World. You should try it sometime.

This one too. maybe the message will get through. Probably not until the bulllets fly though. Then the biggest kool-aid drinkers sign off for a week after the teams usual early exit from playoff contention. And then they are back with the excuses and how NEXT year will be the one. maybe a new HC and the Bills will get there. Edited by Best Player Available

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I know.

The post referred to Nixon leaving office to avoid criminal prosecution. That is inaccurate. That's all I was saying.

Not inaccurate. Tricky Dick WAS gonna 'go down' for WG, Impeachment or not. Gerry pardoned him immediately. You don't get Presidential Pardons to evade impeachment proceedings. Impeachment doesn't automatically mean losing the office.

Not inaccurate. Tricky Dick WAS gonna 'go down' for WG, Impeachment or not. Gerry pardoned him immediately. You don't get Presidential Pardons to evade impeachment proceedings. Impeachment doesn't automatically mean losing the office.

Nixon left office to avoid an impeachment trial that he knew he would lose. Criminal prosecution was still an option after he left so he didn't leave office to avoid prosecution. In fact it was favored by many americans at the time. I'm not sure why that's unclear. On TBD you could state that the sky is blue and still end up in an argument about it.

We will talk again in December!

And supposing they do miss the playoffs, my question at that time will be: what do the previous 15 years have to do with this season?

The answer is that they don't. Each season is an endeavor unto itself.

The team's record 5 or 10 or even 2 years ago means absolutely nothing for the upcoming season.

It's therapy to talk and laugh about it.

It's supposed to be a hobby not life and death.

But the illness wrt taking out that frustration on other fans.......I mean in that Shaq thread......the people attacking emoulds are exactly what I am talking about.

It makes them feel better to try to find fault with emoulds for breaking the news.......utter ridiculousness. :doh:

Wait, is that really happening?

The Patriots not trying in week 17 were still better than the Cowboys 4th string Rex beat to pad his record last year. Works both ways.

As for us and the Jets I expect it to be neck and neck this year if they get Fitz ack though I think our team is built pretty well to beat them in head to heads.

If they don't get Fitz back and Geno starts they will finish 4th in the division without question.

I get your point, but it isn't as if the Bills were at 100% strength with so many guys out in that woeful and uninspiring Cowboys' contest.

What it comes down to are two groups dealing with the disappointments of being Bills fan:

Some handle it in a rational but mostly unproductive manner.......by blaming the organization who ultimately is responsible for the wins and losses in a sport that is ALL ABOUT wins and losses.

It's mostly unproductive because there really is nothing we can do about it. It may feel better to talk about it but it's not our fault and we can't change it by caring.

Others, perhaps due to esteem issues, can't deal with their emotions rationally and instead displace their frustration by trying to find fault in other fans.......and in doing so they make themselves feel superior to other, invested fans of the team.....making them feel better about themselves.....easing or at least distracting them from their pain.

I jab you guys because the badgering of other disappointed fans is bad for conversation.....the reason I come here.......but I get it......you are vulnerable and you care a lot and are also disappointed.

The Bills routinely suck because relative to the owners and employees of other organizations they are generally less effective at their jobs.

There is no inherent reason why Buffalo should be a perennial step sister in this league. The system is designed for parity. There is no pure parity because some franchises do have more resources than others but as we know having more resources doesn't necessarily translate into success unless they are used wisely.

Organizations such as Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are consistently good because their organizations, top to bottom, are fundamentally strong. There is no reason why Buffalo shouldn't be included in that population of solid franchises.

At times I may appear to be negative about the direction of this franchise but in reality I am not. I strongly believe that the Pegula ownership wants to do things the right way but because they are new to the sport there is a learning curve for them to handle. Just as they fumbled a bit when they first bought the Sabres they quickly learned that short term bursts of action for the sake of quick fixes don't work out very well. As demonstrated by the Sabres doing things the right way may be painful in the short run but it leads to sustainable success.

In my opinion (firmly believed) they made a stupendous mistake in the hiring of Rex. I think it won't take long for them to learn from their mistake and they will be more judicious and measured the next time they have to make such a critical hire. I'm a supporter of Whaley and what he is trying to do. Is he an elite GM? No. But I consider him to be a solid GM. That in itself is a major step in the right direction.

Your point is excellent, however I would like to make a random point of clarification, if I may. Richard Nixon did not resign to avoid criminal prosecution. He resigned to avoid impeachment, which is different. Criminal prosecution was still very much on the table until President Ford pardoned him

Since the Op was slamming all those who question the Bills management, I take the whole point of this thread as about blaming others because they question the actions of management, even when management actually is the one who fed bull about the health of players. Who drafted a player other teams stayed away from because of the risks. If management had actually been honest with the fans and said, we took a risk, but felt it was worth it up front at the time of the draft, it would have been different. They didn't. They fed us bull.

The OP slammed those that don't swallow bull without question. Who don't like having their intelligence being insulted.Who question the decisions that are wrong.

There are fanboys who think that to be a fan, you have to be a subservient drone who laps up the drivel you are are fed unquestioningly. Fine, they can be that way, just don't insult those who don't follow your beliefs.

Using the political reference as a title brought up the fact that Nixon/Agnew blamed others that called them out their for bull and their deceit. They did not admit their own actions were the cause of their downfall. Blaming fans who call out the Bills management for their bad decisions, spin and deceit is exactly what the politicians did. Rather than say "we were wrong, we will try to do better".

The OP defended the management actions by insulting those that were deceived and who had every right to feel insulted by managements action and attitude.

And in this case as in with Nixon, I always believe where there is smoke, there is probably fire. Ask yourself, when did Ford pardon Nixon? Was it not soon after Nixon resigned? It obviously was a pre-planned action agreed to before Nixon resigned, part of an agreement Nixon made before he agreed to resign. Since a pardon could not undo his resignation, and he could not be impeached if he already was out of office, what purpose could his pardon have? The only purpose it could serve was to protect him from criminal prosecution. Obviously Nixon was so concerned about the possibility of facing criminal prosecution that he made it a prerequisite agreement before he would agree to resign. Logic states Nixon feared criminal prosecution and was seriously threatened by it. He wanted to avoid it.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19751020&id=UZJKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gpQMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3841,2436810&hl=en

Quote about pardon by Watergate trial prosecutor (off topic of football but in response, so avoid if you are only about football)

This whole thread is about blaming the detractors instead of honestly accepting the blame and the negative consequences for your own actions. It is about spin. And the spin was Nixon wanted to avoid embarrassment of impeachment, but his pardon proves to me his real concern was avoiding criminal prosecution.

You can choose to accept spin of Bills management like the OP, I do not. Black & white. Just don't insult and blame those that don't.

So true.

Both coping mechanisms can go too far. Some people think that every single facet of the Bills sucks. For instance, some have already turned their back on Tyrod. I just can't understand this. I am not saying Tyrod is Elway, but he MIGHT be very good, and soon imo.

Otoh, we have color coded charts posted here to convince us that Ryan doesn't suck. :D Seriously. And have you heard? Whaley is great! :bag: I view him as undisciplined, impulsive, and lacking a coherent plan. There are some posters who still think that EJ is good and even those who will tell you that Jauron was a good head coach!

I suppose I am viewed as being on the negative side and yes, it is a way of coping. I am just not able to blame all of these years of stupidity and futility on anyone other than the organization. I FIRMLY believe that some of the posters on this board could have brought this team to the playoffs at least once in 16 years if they were the GM. It's almost as if a team would have to try not to make the playoffs for that long. :(

Edited by Bill from NYC

What I find very curious is that the narrative by certain crowds has been that Mario, injuries and the complication of the scheme was the reason for 2015's defensive failure. But suddenly, it's not that big of a deal that Mario's replacement is hurt, and missing time both in games and practicing in the complicated scheme.

I smell a repeat in our future. "Shaq with a full TC will figure it out next season."

and we have a run stuffing lb to fill in for our major problems stuffing the run as the #1 run d in 2015... we needed a middle line Acker to cover. But Powell or someone will be better than Bradham who actually coveted Gronk successfully in 2014 was lousy in coverage.

I can't wait for the excuses next off season when we do not improve. And I don't mean just in record. A playoff team with no playoff win is not an improvement. Not having breakdowns in games from poor planning, going bowling for a day off and such bull **** is a mark of improvement

EFF Rex.

So true.

Both coping mechanisms can go too far. Some people think that every single facet of the Bills sucks. For instance, some have already turned their back on Tyrod. I just can't understand this. I am not saying Tyrod is Elway, but he MIGHT be very good, and soon imo.

Otoh, we have color coded charts posted here to convince us that Ryan doesn't suck. :D Seriously. And have you heard? Whaley is great! :bag: I view him as undisciplined, impulsive, and lacking a coherent plan. There are some posters who still think that EJ is good and even those who will tell you that Jauron was a good head coach!

I suppose I am viewed as being on the negative side and yes, it is a way of coping. I am just not able to blame all of these years of stupidity and futility on anyone other than the organization. I FIRMLY believe that some of the posters on this board could have brought this team to the playoffs at least once in 16 years if they were the GM. It's almost as if a team would have to try not to make the playoffs for that long. :(

spot on

There has been no continuity. No plan. From JP losman to fitz. It carries in to tyrod now. To the defense and plug and play coordinators each creating talented units vs 2015 attempting riding on the coattails of talent on the roster.

and we have a run stuffing lb to fill in for our major problems stuffing the run as the #1 run d in 2015... we needed a middle line Acker to cover. But Powell or someone will be better than Bradham who actually coveted Gronk successfully in 2014 was lousy in coverage.

I can't wait for the excuses next off season when we do not improve. And I don't mean just in record. A playoff team with no playoff win is not an improvement. Not having breakdowns in games from poor planning, going bowling for a day off and such bull **** is a mark of improvement

EFF Rex.

Powell is on the Eagles.

Talk to eball...

Jesus Christ, I was staying out of this damn thread.

Yes, I thought it was poor form for eMoulds to drop in and say, "Shaq will miss time" without any context, and I told him so. He apparently finally agreed since he all but confirmed the issue was medical.

#BADOL is another one who posts to boost his own ego; it's ironic how he says this is a hobby and people should be laughing about it when he takes any opportunity to berate someone for what he deems is an unrealistic opinion. He may know a thing or two about football but he's not always right and his condescension is overbearing.

There is no inherent reason why Buffalo should be a perennial step sister in this league. The system is designed for parity. There is no pure parity because some franchises do have more resources than others but as we know having more resources doesn't necessarily translate into success unless they are used wisely.

Organizations such as Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are consistently good because their organizations, top to bottom, are fundamentally strong. There is no reason why Buffalo shouldn't be included in that population of solid franchises.

At times I may appear to be negative about the direction of this franchise but in reality I am not. I strongly believe that the Pegula ownership wants to do things the right way but because they are new to the sport there is a learning curve for them to handle. Just as they fumbled a bit when they first bought the Sabres they quickly learned that short term bursts of action for the sake of quick fixes don't work out very well. As demonstrated by the Sabres doing things the right way may be painful in the short run but it leads to sustainable success.

In my opinion (firmly believed) they made a stupendous mistake in the hiring of Rex. I think it won't take long for them to learn from their mistake and they will be more judicious and measured the next time they have to make such a critical hire. I'm a supporter of Whaley and what he is trying to do. Is he an elite GM? No. But I consider him to be a solid GM. That in itself is a major step in the right direction.

This sir, is one excellent post.

I've seen this same kind of stupid bull**t post repeatedly. It's absolute garbage. Post something positive and it goes ignored by the Kool Aid Krew. Then post something negative and s**t like the above gets spewed by them. Every single time. It doesn't matter how positive you've been in other posts or how correct you've been in your negative ones, The Kool Aid Krew will be there to bash you. Believe it or not, there's some realists out here just trying to see things as they are. If we see something good, we say it's good. If we see something bad, we say it's bad. Then we change our views based on new information - and here's the tricky part - without contorting the facts into what we want to believe or fear. I look at it as Living In The Real World. You should try it sometime.

While both sides have extremes (it is the internet after all) the unbridled optimism about the team is more accepted because that's what fans do. Root for their team. Of course unbridled negativity will get railed on by other fans of the team who are hoping the team they are rooting for does well. There are also people in the middle who are just trying to make reasonable points (either way) that get caught up in it.

But anyways, that is why optimism is more widely accepted than negativity, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Other wise we might as well name ourselves Jets West where negativity about their team is a pillar of their community.

Edited by What a Tuel

While both sides have extremes (it is the internet after all) the unbridled optimism about the team is more accepted because that's what fans do. Root for their team. Of course unbridled negativity will get railed on by other fans of the team who are hoping the team they are rooting for does well. There are also people in the middle who are just trying to make reasonable points (either way) that get caught up in it.

But anyways, that is why optimism is more widely accepted than negativity, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Other wise we might as well name ourselves Jets West where negativity about their team is a pillar of their community.

I get all that. One of my major points was that those with unbridled optimism tend to throw the reasonable people in the middle in with those who have unbridled negativity (of which there are very few in number, if not posts).

Not always, but yes they do have a little bit of pessimism when it comes to their team because obviously there isn't much successful history there.

Jets fans were extremely confident and positive going into that AFC Championship game against the Steelers in 2010. They were also very confident going into the game against us in Week 17.....The overall consensus that I gather from most Jets fans I talk to is they expect to take a little step back this year even when/if they do get Fitz signed as they don't expect him to have the same kind of year he had last year, and they have a very tough schedule. Seems like a realistic take to me or does that make their point of view a negative one?

I saw the same realistic take last year with Tyrod, EJ, and Cassel competing for the starting QB job. No one expected the offense to do a whole lot. No that isn't negative. It was a pretty realist take - and it was wrong, not because we didn't have the foresight to know that our offense would be better than 2014, but because the damn games haven't been played yet. So these "realists" can make all the predictions they want, but they don't really know. They act like they do, and that their opinion is a certainty though which rubs people the wrong way. Especially people who are rooting for their team to do well.

Saying "same old bills, never get a decent QB, always going to suck, I see us winning 3 games tops, 17 years and counting, fire everybody" is negative, and should be expected to be countered by fans who wish their team well and are rooting for success.

Edit: It's kind of like watching a Bills game, and you have that one guy saying "they are gonna blow it, just watch. They always do this. Oh my god, they are going to lose. Why would they do that? That guy sucks. I am so done with this team. Same old Bills". I know it's different on a message board where are opinions being discussed, but the general downer feeling is the same. There is no need for excessive optimism, but there is no reason to trash the entire organization because they didn't do something you wanted them to do. AKA "dooooooomed"

Edited by What a Tuel

Since the Op was slamming all those who question the Bills management, I take the whole point of this thread as about blaming others because they question the actions of management, even when management actually is the one who fed bull about the health of players. Who drafted a player other teams stayed away from because of the risks. If management had actually been honest with the fans and said, we took a risk, but felt it was worth it up front at the time of the draft, it would have been different. They didn't. They fed us bull.

The OP slammed those that don't swallow bull without question. Who don't like having their intelligence being insulted.Who question the decisions that are wrong.

There are fanboys who think that to be a fan, you have to be a subservient drone who laps up the drivel you are are fed unquestioningly. Fine, they can be that way, just don't insult those who don't follow your beliefs.

Using the political reference as a title brought up the fact that Nixon/Agnew blamed others that called them out their for bull and their deceit. They did not admit their own actions were the cause of their downfall. Blaming fans who call out the Bills management for their bad decisions, spin and deceit is exactly what the politicians did. Rather than say "we were wrong, we will try to do better".

The OP defended the management actions by insulting those that were deceived and who had every right to feel insulted by managements action and attitude.

And in this case as in with Nixon, I always believe where there is smoke, there is probably fire. Ask yourself, when did Ford pardon Nixon? Was it not soon after Nixon resigned? It obviously was a pre-planned action agreed to before Nixon resigned, part of an agreement Nixon made before he agreed to resign. Since a pardon could not undo his resignation, and he could not be impeached if he already was out of office, what purpose could his pardon have? The only purpose it could serve was to protect him from criminal prosecution. Obviously Nixon was so concerned about the possibility of facing criminal prosecution that he made it a prerequisite agreement before he would agree to resign. Logic states Nixon feared criminal prosecution and was seriously threatened by it. He wanted to avoid it.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19751020&id=UZJKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gpQMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3841,2436810&hl=en

Quote about pardon by Watergate trial prosecutor (off topic of football but in response, so avoid if you are only about football)

This whole thread is about blaming the detractors instead of honestly accepting the blame and the negative consequences for your own actions. It is about spin. And the spin was Nixon wanted to avoid embarrassment of impeachment, but his pardon proves to me his real concern was avoiding criminal prosecution.

You can choose to accept spin of Bills management like the OP, I do not. Black & white. Just don't insult and blame those that don't.

Really? I don't know that the OP was going there at all. I think his point was that this place falls to PIECES when anything less than ideal happens to the Bills.

I see it as based on 3 different groups. Group one are really just a bunch of chicken littles, assuming every scratch is going to turn gangrenous and that a backup tackle going down means the season is over. Group two absolutely RELISHES in it when bad things happen to the Bills, like dogs rolling in dead fish, basically masochists. Group three are posters that are more vested in being right about perceived shortcomings of the organization than actually seeing the Bills win. These are the guys that like to call themselves realists, assuming their beliefs as fact. They are almost worse because they usually know a lot about football, but get so hung up in the "CUZ WRECKS SUX" type posts that people tend to just tune them out, when they often offer a lot of valuable content to the board.

Like clockwork, when something bad happens, you can see group one screaming to the moon and back. Group 1 starts to panic and begins their 2019 mock drafts. Group 2 will hit the ground running, spreading their misery from thread to thread, only there to sulk and mewl. Group 3 will use it as an excuse to grind their axe, usually about hating on Whaley or Rex or the ghost of Ralph Wilson.

And yes, there are a few that think that EVERYTHING that happens to the Bills is good. That's a dangerous way to go through life, but maybe not as toxic as our friends in groups 1-3.

But I don't think you'll find one poster on this board that believes everything that comes out of the mouth of ANY spokesperson. I mean, we're mostly adults, and understand that their job is to spin. But ask yourself, do you REALLY want a GM that always tells the truth? It's would be monumentally bad for business. But it's pretty clear that the Bills rolled the dice here and lost, at least in the short term, and who really cares what comes out of Whaley's mouth. It's not what was discussed behind closed doors, and frankly, that stuff isn't usually what the public needs to hear. Lets just hope that the surgery is over quickly and Lawson can get back on the field.

But separate from that, yes, some posters try to look at situations in as positive a light as possible, and try to make opportunities out of their difficulties. If that means that I have self esteem issues, lol, I guess I do.

I saw the same realistic take last year with Tyrod, EJ, and Cassel competing for the starting QB job. No one expected the offense to do a whole lot. No that isn't negative. It was a pretty realist take - and it was wrong, not because we didn't have the foresight to know that our offense would be better than 2014, but because the damn games haven't been played yet. So these "realists" can make all the predictions they want, but they don't really know. They act like they do, and that their opinion is a certainty though which rubs people the wrong way. Especially people who are rooting for their team to do well.

Saying "same old bills, never get a decent QB, always going to suck, I see us winning 3 games tops, 17 years and counting, fire everybody" is negative, and should be expected to be countered by fans who wish their team well and are rooting for success.

Bravo.