The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

a slightly contrary point other than agreeing with all of this is that sully actually does good for his limited ability which is not an insult. he chooses low hanging fruit and does not delve deeper. whether he can or cannot is not relevant. i stopped reading him when he offered no original insight or ability to engage further discussion. he writes in absolutes - which as an op/ed writer is dangerous grounds. his submission of an idea is tactically flawed which destroys his ability to further gain an audience.

The appeal of low hanging fruit makes a ton of sense given Sully's limited skills. But for my tastes, it just confirms my suspicions of his talent. He just doesn't aspire to greater heights.

Good point about absolutes. What's that adage about painting oneself into a corner?

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The appeal of low hanging fruit makes a ton of sense given Sully's limited skills. But for my tastes, it just confirms my suspicions of his talent. He just doesn't aspire to greater heights.

Good point about absolutes. What's that adage about painting oneself into a corner?

GO BILLS!!!

i suspect that if you took sully to drinks and asked him about the team and its internal structure it would be very accurate but from a different perspective than that of someone, say like tim graham or john wawrow. wawrow is a consummate professional with regard to his journalism and you can tell. if you talk to wawrow he knows the players and knows the organization. in speaking with him you will not easily see a personal preference on who he likes or dislikes. he merely tells you the way it is. i would imagine graham is the same way, though he may have changed from the espn days. its hard to remember that far back.

wawrow does grab lunch every week with graham and sully, if i remember correctly. i think he said one of the younger dudes joins them from time to time. and he spoke well of chris trapasso once after i ragged on trapasso which gave me a different perspective of him.

TSW should integrate some features of social media. A 'Like' button, for example.

I think that would be good.

It would add perspective.

If I get 1,000 dislikes it doesn't matter to me......that's not why I am here........but I get the sense that some of these guys could use some perspective when they think they are defending the honor of Bills organization employees........most of which will be working for another team or out of the league in another 4-5 years.

The only constant is us fans.......and that's something the fan-haters need to remember.

Praise work that brings championships........but root for the laundry and support your fellow fans over the millionaires that aren't regularly putting up legit playoff contending teams.

If I get 1,000 dislikes it doesn't matter to me......that's not why I am here........but I get the sense that some of these guys could use some perspective when they think they are defending the honor of Bills organization employees........most of which will be working for another team or out of the league in another 4-5 years.

The only constant is us fans.......and that's something the fan-haters need to remember.

Praise work that brings championships........but root for the laundry and support your fellow fans over the millionaires that aren't regularly putting up legit playoff contending teams.

The like/dislike button would not be a good idea. It would stifle contrarian responses more that promote candid views. I agree with you that there is a cadre of loyalists that don't tolerate challenging views. So what! Did you expect anything different? There are people who believe that they are the guardian of the gates and they have the sacred responsibility of making the determination who is worthy of entering the palace. Those are the type of dullards that are not worth bothering with.

For the most part the exchanges on this board are reasonable and civil. Sometimes the discourse gets out of hand and devolves into personal assaults, as it has in this thread. But in general the tenor of discussion stays within the expansive acceptable boundaries.

You are a tough crusty codger who is not only able to parry a thrust but you are more than capable of slicing up an adversary without the challenger knowing that he is profusely bleeding.

When you go to the disco it is futile to complain that the music is too loud. That's just the nature of the environment. You are too resilient of a contributor to be bothered by the noise. I say this respectfully but I think you are making too much of this situation which admittedly did take a plunge but is not the normal for this platform.

I remember around 2003 or so when this board had a like/don't like button, but it was for the poster, not the individual posts. Let's just say my score was below average. :(:lol:

Not a surprise, but I do believe a lot of my negs came from my stalker & all his ghost nics.

Most often reporters who have little association with the team/s are in a better position to report about a team than those who are allowed to be insiders at the discretion of the team/s. As an example Sal Cappacio (who I like and consider to be an earnest reporter) is granted access. Not once last year during the season or shortly after report that Mario willfully quit on the team. It wasn't until he left that he made the comment on WGR that Mario basically made a decision to quit when Rex was named the coach. The point I'm making is that he was either co-opted by the team or afraid to make a controversial claim about a player he would come in contact.

Jerry Sullivan is a columnist. He is not responsible for the daily coverage of this franchise. His task is to provoke---and that is what he does well. You may consider him to be a hack but what you can't say about him is that he is afraid to challenge a franchise and ask the pointed questions that a consistently losing franchise is uncomfortable responding to.

The Buffalo Bills in the market they reside in have had to face an insignificant amount of criticism relative to their level of competency compared to most markets. Compare the NY or Philly media market to the Buffalo market?

Without a doubt Jerry Sullivan can be irritating and full of himself. But overall to his credit he is one of the few voices in the room willing to call people out who should be called out and challenge those people who should be challenged.

Lest we forget his Cam Newton race baiting, lol. To me he is just a professional rabble rouser.