Great story, Kevon Seymour and our scouting Department

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/A-much-clearer-outlook-for-CB-Kevon-Seymour/2662fabb-f625-4894-bb5d-9e1bcd9f1f37

What a great story about how our scouts look beyond the measurables for NFL talent. Can't believe USC never figured this out. Definitely builds my confidence in our due diligence. Especially if it works out like they are hoping!

Despite the revelation of his poor eyesight, NFL teams still saw a senior corner who could not get back into the starting lineup and had just one interception and no pass breakups in his final season.

The Bills however, saw encouraging potential and minimal risk in making the USC product a sixth-round pick. Blessed with the physical measurables and movement skills of an NFL cornerback, as long as Seymour can capably adjust with fully corrected vision, those plays that went for pass breakups could turn into takeaways.

i mean, i cant say we really did anything special in that story. the dude missed a bunch of passes and was getting help with eye problems fairly publicly (as these things go).

i dont know that id point at our due diligence on this one.

i mean, i cant say we really did anything special in that story. the dude missed a bunch of passes and was getting help with eye problems fairly publicly (as these things go).

i dont know that id point at our due diligence on this one.

Agreed -- it's not like the Bills' staff was the source of the diagnosis or anything. Having said that, I like this pick even more now!

Agreed -- it's not like the Bills' staff was the source of the diagnosis or anything. Having said that, I like this pick even more now!

agreed. seems like exactly the type of late round pick id like to see. all the tools to go a day or two earlier, but a possibly correctable hiccup. id take that over an athletically challenged guy with ST as a ceiling any time in 6 or 7.

agreed. seems like exactly the type of late round pick id like to see. all the tools to go a day or two earlier, but a possibly correctable hiccup. id take that over an athletically challenged guy with ST as a ceiling any time in 6 or 7.

Until now, I thought this was our one truly wasted pick.

The article makes me think differently.

But the new contacts (or, later, laser surgery) won't necessarily turn Seymour into a productive CB. I'm sure he wants to blame all his problems on his eyes but the truth might be less simple. We'll see.

Agree with NoSaint... perfect late round pick because there might be a high ceiling.

i dont know that id point at our due diligence on this one

It wasn't diagnosed until around February 2016. He's a sixth round pick, so obviously we didn't stick our neck out too much but it is encouraging our scouts are willing to put extra effort in on a guy like this as opposed to just writing him off or going with a guy with the best stats for the pick.

“The doctor told me my vision was bad,”

A doctor needs to tell him this? That's the part I don't get. It never crossed his mind that he had a vision deficit?

I think he was just too stubborn to admit it was a problem, let alone a problem on the field.

A doctor needs to tell him this? That's the part I don't get. It never crossed his mind that he had a vision deficit?

My overriding thought while reading the article too.

It seems silly. But it is possible. kind of along the lines of "you don't know what you're missing". I didn't know I had poor vision until I went to get my learners permit when I turned 16. I remember going to pick up my new glasses and walking out of Sterling Optical in the mall and thinking "Holy Crap, I can see the leaves on that fake tree 200 feet away". You learn to function with what you have and don't realize any difference. It's like the difference in being born with an ability (sight, hearing, etc) and then losing it or being born without it. If you never had it, you don't know what you're missing.

If it's all you've ever known you don't know it can be better. I don't suffer from poor vision but I had a friend who, one night while playing a game, jokingly put on another friend's glasses and was like, "WTF, everything is clearer!!" He simply didn't know that he had an issue because he was used to it.

The doctor told me my vision was bad,

He's near sighted and could see things within 10 feet so it probably didn't occur to him.

This kid is always around the ball and has all the tools to play corner in the NFL

The doctor told me my vision was bad,

Actually yeah. If you've seen like that your entire life you think it's normal. I needed glasses with 20/100 vision but until I got them I though it was normal that I couldn't read the blackboard or a license plate, etc...how would he know? It's not like he's ever seen better to compare it to.

It seems silly. But it is possible. kind of along the lines of "you don't know what you're missing". I didn't know I had poor vision until I went to get my learners permit when I turned 16. I remember going to pick up my new glasses and walking out of Sterling Optical in the mall and thinking "Holy Crap, I can see the leaves on that fake tree 200 feet away". You learn to function with what you have and don't realize any difference. It's like the difference in being born with an ability (sight, hearing, etc) and then losing it or being born without it. If you never had it, you don't know what you're missing.

One thing that strikes me is that his program didn't ensure all their kids had basic physical exams including vision, glaucoma testing, hearing testing etc. We think of athletes as privileged and they are in some ways (special scholarships and tutors, fan admiration and adulation, sometimes given special treatment if they get into trouble) but this made me sad, like all that and the school still isn't invested in them as human beings enough for fundamental health tests.

When I was growing up there was a big push to have schools screen vision and hearing and ensure no one was having learning troubles due to these things. I guess now with all the defined "special needs" to be serviced, some of the fundamentals have gone by the wayside.

Edited by Hopeful

One thing that strikes me is that his program didn't ensure all their kids had basic physical exams including vision, glaucoma testing, hearing testing etc. We think of athletes as privileged and they are in some ways (special scholarships and tutors, fan admiration and adulation, sometimes given special treatment if they get into trouble) but this made me sad, like all that and the school still isn't invested in them as human beings enough for fundamental health tests.

When I was growing up there was a big push to have schools screen vision and hearing and ensure no one was having learning troubles due to these things. I guess now with all the defined "special needs" to be serviced, some of the fundamentals have gone by the wayside.

They can spend $20,000 per student and come up with all these fancy ways to try and help kids learn but ignore basic hearing and eye tests...lmao...sounds about right...

Sometimes I think the school administrators are the ones with special needs...

Edited by matter2003

maybe " eitelkeit " ( vanity i guess?) played a role in that? i had a kid one year that rather would´ve died crossing the street than admit he had terrible eyesight and need glasses. in the end he accepted it and got some but it took a lost game with him missing the game winning INT.