Great story, Kevon Seymour and our scouting Department

It seems silly. But it is possible. kind of along the lines of "you don't know what you're missing". I didn't know I had poor vision until I went to get my learners permit when I turned 16. I remember going to pick up my new glasses and walking out of Sterling Optical in the mall and thinking "Holy Crap, I can see the leaves on that fake tree 200 feet away". You learn to function with what you have and don't realize any difference. It's like the difference in being born with an ability (sight, hearing, etc) and then losing it or being born without it. If you never had it, you don't know what you're missing.

20/60 though? That's pretty bad... You'd think classroom film room stuff would be impossible

Hopefully he'll be able to see more

Lololololo

i mean, i cant say we really did anything special in that story. the dude missed a bunch of passes and was getting help with eye problems fairly publicly (as these things go).

i dont know that id point at our due diligence on this one.

Isn't some lasik surgeon group the Bills Sponsor !

Nicely played Brandon

If it's all you've ever known you don't know it can be better. I don't suffer from poor vision but I had a friend who, one night while playing a game, jokingly put on another friend's glasses and was like, "WTF, everything is clearer!!" He simply didn't know that he had an issue because he was used to it.

Yep, absolutely know adults who never realized. The difference between nearsighted and farsighted is the reason. When you cannot read that same font any longer you know it's happening.

dangnabit

Edited by 3rdand12

The doctor told me my vision was bad,

A doctor needs to tell him this? That's the part I don't get. It never crossed his mind that he had a vision deficit?

When I was in 3rd grade I told my Mom I couldn't see the blackboard. They got me glasses. Kevon Seymour isn't smarter than a 3rd grader?

One thing that strikes me is that his program didn't ensure all their kids had basic physical exams including vision, glaucoma testing, hearing testing etc. We think of athletes as privileged and they are in some ways (special scholarships and tutors, fan admiration and adulation, sometimes given special treatment if they get into trouble) but this made me sad, like all that and the school still isn't invested in them as human beings enough for fundamental health tests.

When I was growing up there was a big push to have schools screen vision and hearing and ensure no one was having learning troubles due to these things. I guess now with all the defined "special needs" to be serviced, some of the fundamentals have gone by the wayside.

It sounds like this was an oddball condition possibly? Even in season it sounded misdiagnosed.

Most grade schools so very basic eye and hearing tests but I've never done health screening at college. Was kind of on your own as an adult.

It wasn't diagnosed until around February 2016. He's a sixth round pick, so obviously we didn't stick our neck out too much but it is encouraging our scouts are willing to put extra effort in on a guy like this as opposed to just writing him off or going with a guy with the best stats for the pick.

I think he was just too stubborn to admit it was a problem, let alone a problem on the field.

My overriding thought while reading the article too.

He had no idea--by his own admission. He certainly wasn't ignoring it to be stubborn. He didn't know.

It's what he always lived with, he probably thought it was normal.

Actually yeah. If you've seen like that your entire life you think it's normal. I needed glasses with 20/100 vision but until I got them I though it was normal that I couldn't read the blackboard or a license plate, etc...how would he know? It's not like he's ever seen better to compare it to.

I get all that, but this is a guy who at one point throughout his playing career (HS, early college) he didn't have a problem--until he did have a problem. It manifested itself as him getting benched.

I knew I needed glasses after a summer break and first going back to classes and not being able to read the slide presentation in the lecture hall. I felt it was a hangover, or that it was not properly focused and no one could read it well----and then I too did the "let me see your glasses for a sec" and immediately realized that something had significantly changed. At age 25, I needed glasses.

“The doctor told me my vision was bad,”

A doctor needs to tell him this? That's the part I don't get. It never crossed his mind that he had a vision deficit?

I would of agreed with up until a few years ago. I had to make one of my employees get their eyes checked. They got glasses and at leats that problem got solved...now on to the next one! Ha

McLovin had problems tracking the ball. This could be the new curse....the curse of McLovin. We need a new stadium.

JD Williams did too back in the day. Zero depth perception, had a procedure done to fix it IIRC. It didn't help.

When I was in 3rd grade I told my Mom I couldn't see the blackboard. They got me glasses. Kevon Seymour isn't smarter than a 3rd grader?

I needed glasses in 6th grade. I could still see the board. I played baseball and could hit, etc. When I got glasses I realized exactly how much I wasn't seeing. It was a revelation. The change was really gradual and I just didn't notice that it was as bad as it was.