ON THE CLOCK - INSIDE THE BILLS' DRAFT ROOM

Just watched the video and 2 questions:

Were the Bills not interested in Myles Jack? And, how long before Monos is nabbed to be a GM somewhere?

1 more season, the cheap Bills will promote from within after getting rid of that bum Whaley.

I look at Washington as a look at the future.

Meatballs career in in its sunset.......this was a strong draft for down linemen....the bills plucked one.

I wonder if we are gonna look back at this draft in a couple of years and point to it as why Whaley is named GM of the year.

- S. Lawson - stud

- Ragland - enforcer

- Washington - the new Meatball?

We might pluck as many as 5 eventual key contributers out of this draft

If we get 3 starters this year and 2 more develop into starters next year, then the Bills had a great draft. 5 starters from a draft is ideal. You need to hit on 2-3 starters in year one and then have 2-3 become starters in year 2 or 3. doing the math(and assuming 4 year rookie contracts) you would have 20 of your starters being guys drafted. That would be ideal, maybe not obtainable.

If we get 3 starters this year and 2 more develop into starters next year, then the Bills had a great draft. 5 starters from a draft is ideal. You need to hit on 2-3 starters in year one and then have 2-3 become starters in year 2 or 3. doing the math(and assuming 4 year rookie contracts) you would have 20 of your starters being guys drafted. That would be ideal, maybe not obtainable.

You "need" to hit on 2-3 starters in year one, and get 5 starters from a draft?? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is not "expected" but stupendous.

I think most teams are thrilled if 3-4 of their draftees eventually become significant contributors.

You "need" to hit on 2-3 starters in year one, and get 5 starters from a draft?? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is not "expected" but stupendous.

I think most teams are thrilled if 3-4 of their draftees eventually become significant contributors.

From a draft 2 starters and 2 significant role players is a good haul.

it's funny that our next guy jarran reed was taken with our 2nd round pick.

I get the impression that he was more of a fall back than an equal to Ragland on the draft board. If not, then the Bills wasted some draft picks.

I get the impression that he was more of a fall back than an equal to Ragland on the draft board. If not, then the Bills wasted some draft picks.

Yep. While they had first round grades on (Lawson,) Ragland, and Reed, Ragland was higher and there was a real chance he would have been gone before 49.

Why not? Why can't a team do that? Finding 2-3 starters is not some insurmountable task. Have a few more that develop into starters with a year or two of practice, coaching, and training. I am betting that of players starting in the NFL something like 80% or greater were drafted.

Use FA to fill in gaps and for rotational/ depth.

To be a great franchise you need to draft great. that's where it starts for talent.

Why not? Why can't a team do that? Finding 2-3 starters is not some insurmountable task. Have a few more that develop into starters with a year or two of practice, coaching, and training. I am betting that of players starting in the NFL something like 80% or greater were drafted.

To be a great franchise you need to draft great. that's where it starts for talent.

I guess you haven't noticed that for the most part, draft picks are a crapshoot. Seriously -- look it up, Thurman.

Your expectations for what teams should do in the draft are waaaaaay out of line. What you're looking for may happen once in a blue moon.

Folks can say what they want, but I don't get the impression Whaley is doing Rex's bidding...this seems to be a genuinely focused organization whose owners, GM, and coach are all working together and in the same direction.

It's about time.

bull ****. I saw Russ Brandon in the room & that's all I need to know that this draft sucked.

this is my question too. They were more interested in Ragland than Jack, at least per the video though I'm sure it was edited. Still, they cheered when Jack went 5 picks before them. Maybe they just didn't want to trade up far enough to get him? Still, the cheers were interesting considering you would think they might hope he kept sliding to the Bears spot at 41 if they liked him.

So you think Whaley is lying when he says that they started with Cleveland and worked their way down when looking for a R2 trade partner? They got the guy they wanted and those cheers were genuine expressions of that.

They were just as pumped with Washington still being available as they were with both of their first two picks being available. They think he might end up being one of the steals of the draft.

I don't know if I'd go that far but I will say that the handful of times I watched OSU this year, Adolphus Washington was all over the freaking place blowing shlt up.

He's a talented player who, if motivated, will make an impact. It's up to Rex and staff. I'm curious to find out what weight they want him to maintain.

bull ****. I saw Russ Brandon in the room & that's all I need to know that this draft sucked.

So you think Whaley is lying when he says that they started with Cleveland and worked their way down when looking for a R2 trade partner? They got the guy they wanted and those cheers were genuine expressions of that.

He's a talented player who, if motivated, will make an impact. It's up to Rex and staff. I'm curious to find out what weight they want him to maintain.

no I didn't mean to imply I thought he was lying or anything. I actually forgot he said that. So they had Ragland higher than Jack? Strictly medical or no? Because Jags say he is good to go right now. Just wondering. Edited by YoloinOhio

2-3 rookie starters and a couple more developing later on would be considered an AMAZING draft for any team. 5 solid players out of 7 picks?!? Those drafts are few and far between even for the best drafting teams.

For some perspective, we didnt even get 5 starters out of the historic 1985 draft. And we had 14 picks across 12 rounds, and were sitting in the #1 overall position.

A more realistic goal (but still a goal, not expectation) is 1-2 rookie starters, and 1 more developing down the line.

The only expected players would be out of maybe the first 3 rounds. Anything past that is a crap shoot, and bonus if they develop.

The other major part in all this is re-signing your guys that do develop, which Whaley and Co. have proven they will do.

no I didn't mean to imply I thought he was lying or anything. I actually forgot he said that. So they had Ragland higher than Jack? Strictly medical or no? Because Jags say he is good to go right now. Just wondering.

I would guess medical. Jack too is a heck of a player & perhaps more immediate impact (WOW!!! stuff).

this is my question too. They were more interested in Ragland than Jack, at least per the video though I'm sure it was edited. Still, they cheered when Jack went 5 picks before them. Maybe they just didn't want to trade up far enough to get him? Still, the cheers were interesting considering you would think they might hope he kept sliding to the Bears spot at 41 if they liked him.

I think they cheered because jags moved up and they were happy they didn't pick Reggie. I don't necessarily think that they had Jack rated lower than Reggie but could have been due to the injury. Edited by The Wiz

I think they cheered because jags moved up and they were happy they didn't pick Reggie. I don't necessarily think that they had Jack rated lower than Reggie but could have been due to the injury.

That's kinda how I saw it too. They probably had Reggie ranked higher due to injury and maybe even scheme fit. Rex needs that heavier, Bart Scott type of thumper to play his Will. They knew Jax wanted a LB, and were happy they took Jack instead of Ragland.

I guess you haven't noticed that for the most part, draft picks are a crapshoot. Seriously -- look it up, Thurman.

Your expectations for what teams should do in the draft are waaaaaay out of line. What you're looking for may happen once in a blue moon.

I love being condescended. Not sure what your background is but seing as you are on here as much as you are , you probably have about the same football knowledge as me.

Go look up starters in NFL that were drafted vs UDFA.

I am saying things have changed from now since 1985. Information that is available now vs then has drastically been improved.

Expecting 4-5 eventual starters from a draft is not unreasonable, I think it will begin to be the norm in the next 5 years.

I love being condescended. Not sure what your background is but seing as you are on here as much as you are , you probably have about the same football knowledge as me.

Go look up starters in NFL that were drafted vs UDFA.

I am saying things have changed from now since 1985. Information that is available now vs then has drastically been improved.

Expecting 4-5 eventual starters from a draft is not unreasonable, I think it will begin to be the norm in the next 5 years.

Perfect! Just the right amount of indignation & condescension to point out his condescension.

I think they cheered because jags moved up and they were happy they didn't pick Reggie. I don't necessarily think that they had Jack rated lower than Reggie but could have been due to the injury.

I'm going to call BS on this comment for one reason. Did you not watch the video of the Bills war room during the draft? When Jack was picked ahead of where the Bills were in the 2nd round, everyone was cheering and they immediately went to the phones to move up. They almost certainly had Jack lower than Ragland. Heck, Whaley said later that if the right guys would have gone in the first, that they would have picked him there, as he was first round value. At the end of the day also, almost all of the big boards out there had Ragland as a 1st round pick and a 2nd round or later on Jack and Smith because of their injuries.

I'm going to call BS on this comment for one reason. Did you not watch the video of the Bills war room during the draft? When Jack was picked ahead of where the Bills were in the 2nd round, everyone was cheering and they immediately went to the phones to move up. They almost certainly had Jack lower than Ragland. Heck, Whaley said later that if the right guys would have gone in the first, that they would have picked him there, as he was first round value. At the end of the day also, almost all of the big boards out there had Ragland as a 1st round pick and a 2nd round or later on Jack and Smith because of their injuries.

They cheered because they had made a plan. and it was falling as they truly hoped.

Bills could not afford risk this draft early. Lawson Ragland and even Washington are impact players.

Great video, and phenomenal draft first 3 rounds. A rare occasion for sure !

We should find solace in what luck ( and skill) the FO had that weekend

Exactly. Some people on here are bullies. Just because they have a high post count they feel they can say whatever they want and it is truth. It just isn't.

Umm, I think you missed the point.

But anyway, seriously, go look up even the best teams' draft histories. What you're claiming should be "expected" is fantasy.

thanks for the post six.

I think the implication is they were interested in Myles Jack - Whaley said he was on their draft board - but they did not have a 1st round grade on him.

yep and well....

The implication is that they had moved him down because of the medical and they still thought the 2nd was too big of a risk. There was clearly some consensus that his knee was a serious problem or else a top 5 player does not fall to the 2nd round.

This and....

no I didn't mean to imply I thought he was lying or anything. I actually forgot he said that. So they had Ragland higher than Jack? Strictly medical or no? Because Jags say he is good to go right now. Just wondering.

I think they didnt want to take a medical chance and knew they needed a day 1 starting/contributing LB that fit Rex's scheme and was experienced calling the defensive plays. Ragland is known as a "tone setter" and Rex trying to build a "bully" wanted that type of player over jacks style of play, having already signed Z Brown to be the main coverage backer. judging by the celebrations when jack was picked, they most def had Ragland ahead of jack on the board, based on health, the intangible skills they were looking for (leadership/tone setting/instinct), and scheme fit.

Edited by Marty McFly

Some thoughts I'll add now that I've seen the video:

1) It's clear that this is Doug Whaley's Show. I like seeing him run the draft room - he's the man in charge and they all seem to defer to him. I love watching a young Executive do his or her thing with confidence. Whaley shows confidence and decisiveness. I'm impressed.

2) Whaley and Rex seem to genuinely like and work well with each other. This is critical.

3) Nice to see Terry being involved but not dominating the room (a la Jerry Jones). He's the right amount of invested - he clearly participates but doesn't dominate the discussion.

4) I thought it was awesome seeing Kim in the draft room. IMO there are not enough women involved in the management of NFL teams. If you've been in a board room or a C-suite you know that women have just as much to offer as men do, and it bothers me that they're so underrepresented in the NFL.

My pleasure good sir.

really good stuff 26.....FWIW my sister takes her dog to day care at the same place as Whaley (and he has the same breed of dog as I), and she says he is a real nice, cool dude. Glad to read this insider stuff, helps me feel connected as an out-of-towner....

Exactly. Some people on here are bullies. Just because they have a high post count they feel they can say whatever they want and it is truth. It just isn't.

it is all about the post count.

thanks for the post six.

yep and well....

This and....

I think they didnt want to take a medical chance and knew they needed a day 1 starting/contributing LB that fit Rex's scheme and was experienced calling the defensive plays. Ragland is known as a "tone setter" and Rex trying to build a "bully" wanted that type of player over jacks style of play, having already signed Z Brown to be the main coverage backer. judging by the celebrations when jack was picked, they most def had Ragland ahead of jack on the board, based on health, the intangible skills they were looking for (leadership/tone setting/instinct), and scheme fit.

good post again Marty

4-5 eventual starters from every draft is unreasonable. There I said it.

If this is really the argument that you want to make, please present a list of the drafts (for any team) that yielded 5 starters.