2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Blokes, why would TB want John Ross with Desean Jackson on team?

Over the past couple of years, they've put a lot of effort into the defense and the OL. It's about time they added more weapons for Jameis. Jackson should be their primary slot and, with Mike Evans on a 5th year option or extension in 2018, they need to think about acquiring some talent on the cheap. Ross would replace Adam Humphries as their #2 on the boundary.

Jackson is a mentor for Ross so the team will probably have as good a feel for him as any other player in the class. Not a pick I would make but it's something that seems to have some legs among Bucs writers that I follow.

nice to trade back but, meh on the picks

I realise my mistake; not enough try-hard white dudes :)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this make him a 'system quarterback' ? I worry about what happens if the Bills change coaches as it limits either his future or the freedom to choose future coaches.

Also, does he look like a kid who has demonstrated a good work ethic ?

Every QB is a system QB to a lesser or greater degree. I don't think he's a limited player in terms of talent but, if I'm right about him, he'll definitely benefit from running a particular scheme. As far as things go for future OC's or HC's, Rick Dennison and David Culley have been around the WCO since I was a toddler. I think if they move on for whatever reason, they'll have plenty of recommendations for a replacement that helps keep the status quo.

I can't say much about his work ethic but I think he's a determined guy. The most impressive thing he's done this offseason is constantly biting his tongue when asked about Brian Kelly. I think that shows that he's smart enough to keep things in-house, kinda dispells some of that "not a natural leader" BS.

Every QB is a system QB to a lesser or greater degree. I don't think he's a limited player in terms of talent but, if I'm right about him, he'll definitely benefit from running a particular scheme. As far as things go for future OC's or HC's, Rick Dennison and David Culley have been around the WCO since I was a toddler. I think if they move on for whatever reason, they'll have plenty of recommendations for a replacement that helps keep the status quo.

I can't say much about his work ethic but I think he's a determined guy.

Thanx, Blokes

7. As for when they start coming off the board, it appears the belief out there continues to be that Buffalo at 10 is the team that you have to leapfrog if you want to trade up for a quarterback.

http://mmqb.si.com/m...impact-notebook

I doubt that Buffalo would act away from its bland character and select a qb with its first selection. However, if it did I would be ecstatic while the "wait until next year gang" would be sulking. :bag:

I doubt that Buffalo would act away from its bland character and select a qb with its first selection. However, if it did I would be ecstatic while the "wait until next year gang" would be sulking. :bag:

As the NFL has adopted rules to make it easier for QB's and WR's the Bills stubbornly believe they can win with bottom of the barrel passing offenses.

If they feel their is a franchise guy there, they need to take him. I just don't think we know how to decide who is a franchise guy and who isn't. We are more focused on trying to fill holes to maintain the status quo, instead of building a team to compete longer term. We just lack a vision as to how to build a team...I'm not holding my breathe for a QB before RD3

If they feel their is a franchise guy there, they need to take him. I just don't think we know how to decide who is a franchise guy and who isn't. We are more focused on trying to fill holes to maintain the status quo, instead of building a team to compete longer term. We just lack a vision as to how to build a team...I'm not holding my breathe for a QB before RD3

Everything is day to day in Buffalo. The fact that Pegulas are allowing Sean McDermott, a first year head coach, this much influence on the draft shows the Pegulas do not understand football and have no clue how to run a team.

the Bills stubbornly believe they can win with bottom of the barrel passing offenses.

Now you're just spreading disinformation. In his first 29 NFL starts, Tryod's numbers have been more or less on par with the numbers put up by Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota in their first two years. At this point, the statistics show that Tyrod ranks near the middle of the pack of NFL starters, with potential to improve. And then there's the fact that, with their "bottom of the barrel" passing offense, the Bills ranked in the top quarter of the league in TDs in 2016.

Now you're just spreading disinformation. In his first 29 NFL starts, Tryod's numbers have been more or less on par with the numbers put up by Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota in their first two years. At this point, the statistics show that Tyrod ranks near the middle of the pack of NFL starters, with potential to improve. And then there's the fact that, with their "bottom of the barrel" passing offense, the Bills ranked in the top quarter of the league in TDs in 2016.

The Bills ranked 30th out of 32 teams in passing yards last year. That is bottom of the barrel.

The Bills ranked 30th out of 32 teams in passing yards last year. That is bottom of the barrel.

A meaningless statistic given the fact that they were the top ranked rushing team and threw the ball less than any other team in the NFL. When they threw the ball, the Bills did so pretty effectively. With a new OC, they will probably throw the ball more this year.

A meaningless statistic given the fact that they were the top ranked rushing team and threw the ball less than any other team in the NFL. When they threw the ball, the Bills did so pretty effectively. With a new OC, they will probably throw the ball more this year.

I'm not talking about rushing. I said bottom of the barrel passing attack. They have a terrible passing game that doesn't move the ball and doesn't score TD's. Fact jack.

I'm not talking about rushing. I said bottom of the barrel passing attack. They have a terrible passing game that doesn't move the ball and doesn't score TD's. Fact jack.

But our rushing game attack is soo good if we get a good defense we'll be able to lose to the Steelers or Pats in the playoffs 17-12.

But our rushing game attack is soo good if we get a good defense we'll be able to lose to the Steelers or Pats in the playoffs 17-12.

It's important to run the ball and run the ball well. But most of these NFL games come down to the wire. if your QB can't throw when the other team KNOWS you have to throw you will lose almost every close game.

Over the past couple of years, they've put a lot of effort into the defense and the OL. It's about time they added more weapons for Jameis. Jackson should be their primary slot and, with Mike Evans on a 5th year option or extension in 2018, they need to think about acquiring some talent on the cheap. Ross would replace Adam Humphries as their #2 on the boundary.

Jackson is a mentor for Ross so the team will probably have as good a feel for him as any other player in the class. Not a pick I would make but it's something that seems to have some legs among Bucs writers that I follow.

I realise my mistake; not enough try-hard white dudes :)

you did have some so its not that, maybe some legit white dudes would have been better :D

yep :D

I just hoped we at the very least talked to Cleveland about #10.

me too, McD needs to get back those picks Whaley lost

You are astute.

More than anything I am frustrated...

It's allowable to be frustrated and astute at the same time. :thumbsup:

We are predictably going to pass on good qb prospects only to see other teams seize on our misses. I'm starting to lean toward Watson if he is available. But that is not the Buffalo way. Sad, so sad. :sick:

Edited by JohnC

Not to turn this into a Watson thread, but i will try. :w00t:

He passes my test unlike Cardale, he has at least three years of experience with a completion percentage above 60. That's what I look for in QBs.

CAREER STATS

• SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
  • 2016 388 579 4593 67.0 7.93 65 41 17 17 151.1 73.3 84.9
  • 2015 333 491 4104 67.8 8.36 67 35 13 15 156.3 77.9 86.7
  • 2014 93 137 1466 67.9 10.70 74 14 2 8 188.6 87.1 90.9
Edited by thunderingsquid

He passes my test unlike Cardale, he has at least three years of experience with a completion percentage above 60. That's what I look for in QBs.

CAREER STATS

Did you also advocate drafting Kellen Moore? He started four years and had a career completion percentage of almost 70 percent. What about Tim Tebow?

Did you also advocate drafting Kellen Moore? He started four years and had a career completion percentage of almost 70 percent. What about Tim Tebow?

That's the thing, you've got to figure out how much is scheme-driven. Mitch Trubisky completed 68.2% of his passes but I still think he's got some potentially fatal accuracy/placement issues.

I wish things like average depth of target and yards after catch were more closely tabulated in the college ranks. It's a pain doing it myself.

That's the thing, you've got to figure out how much is scheme-driven. Mitch Trubisky completed 68.2% of his passes but I still think he's got some potentially fatal accuracy/placement issues.

I wish things like average depth of target and yards after catch were more closely tabulated in the college ranks. It's a pain doing it myself.

Yep. It's easy to complete lots of short passes in some systems. That is one of my criticisms of the Roman/Lynn system: It does not seem to be a system that creates the opportunity for the type of easy, short completion that keeps drives going. In fairness, one of my biggest criticisms of Tyrod is that he has poor touch on those sorts of passes. From what I have seen, Cardale seems to excel at them.

Not sure if you saw the podcast on wkbw where Joe B discusses this very topic with Tyler Dunne. They discussed an analyst who reviewed the top 10 QBs in this class and broke down ranking by accuracy vs throwing distance. It showed Trubisky as #1 or #2 on pretty much all short and intermediate range (behind LOS all the way to 25 yds) throws but dead last on throws over 25 yards and by like 7 or 8 % points over the next worst.

Still not sure if that's an issue, however. Good mechanics, footwork and the best accuracy up to 25 yards ... does that trump deep accuracy? i'd really like yours and Bandit's and a couple other draftniks' opinions on it.

Edited by Lothar

Not sure if you saw the podacst on wkbw where Joe B discusses this very topic with Tyler Dunne. They discussed an analyst who reviewed the top 10 QBs in this class and broke down ranking by accuracy vs throwing distance. It showed Trubisky as #1 or #2 on pretty much all short and intermediate range (behind LOS all the way to 25 yds) throws but dead last on throws over 25 yards and by like 7 or 8 % points over the next worst. Still not sure if that's an issue, however. Good mechanics, footwork and the best accuracy up to 25 yards ... does that trump deep accuracy? i'd really like yours and Bandit's and a couple other draftniks' opinions on it.

I'm of the belief (and it's not always been taken as a popular one) that the NFL isn't really a big play league, particularly in the passing game. It's more of a chunk play league which is why I value intermediate accuracy above everything else. At that level, Teddy Bridgewater is still my top rated QB in the few years of me doing this stuff. Teddy is actually a great case study for valued traits because he's not really a scrambler nor is he a great deep ball thrower but he never had a capped value to me because of it.

Everyone loves a QB that can hit a deep ball because it opens everything up (I think it truly helps the run game a lot more than the pass). If you don't have that deep accuracy, for me, you'd better be pinpoint accurate in the areas that you can hit to compensate. That means either having the arm/balls to throw those deep outs to the sideline or hitting digs/crossers in stride to allow creation after the catch. For me, that placement is where Trubisky has some major issues, a lot of his 11-20 targets in the MOF don't sufficiently lead the target. They still count but not all completions are neccesarily created equal.

Bills fans may hiss and boo me for it but Tom Brady is the benchmark for my QB evaluation. He's not the biggest arm in the league and his deep ball numbers have been distinctly average but he wins with pre-snap recognition and advanced placement & timing. When you watch a guy dismantle you twice a year doing that, it's not hard to value that highly.

Edited by Blokestradamus

CAREER STATS

Saw an article on Bills wire were they said the was a good possibility of cutting Cardale Jones, which would be another indictment of Whaley's QB picking ability. Glad McD will be the deciding factor on picks

the real important stats are 3rd down completion percentage leading to first downs and TD drives led (sometimes RB scores)

The hard part is how well a QB can read a defense, go through progression and make audibles. These are things you would have personal knowledge of the offense to make proper decision.

the hardest part to determine is how well of a field commander they are under pressure. So many intangibles going into being a great QB and is why so many fail.

Not sure if you saw the podcast on wkbw where Joe B discusses this very topic with Tyler Dunne. They discussed an analyst who reviewed the top 10 QBs in this class and broke down ranking by accuracy vs throwing distance. It showed Trubisky as #1 or #2 on pretty much all short and intermediate range (behind LOS all the way to 25 yds) throws but dead last on throws over 25 yards and by like 7 or 8 % points over the next worst.

Still not sure if that's an issue, however. Good mechanics, footwork and the best accuracy up to 25 yards ... does that trump deep accuracy? i'd really like yours and Bandit's and a couple other draftniks' opinions on it.

could be the perfect west coast QB which we are running a variant of.

I think Kelly had the highest accuracy on longer passes.

http://www.secsports.com/video/19204092/chad-kelly

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

New mock with extra 5th :)

10: R1P10

EDGE SOLOMON THOMAS - allegedly #1 on Bills board and he was there. This is BPA all the way.

STANFORD

44: R2P12

LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM - athletic, smart WLB to replace Zach Brown

VANDERBILT

75: R3P11

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER - hand him a North Face jacket with his New Era draft cap, welcome to Buffalo!

USC

156: R5P12

CB RASUL DOUGLAS - good fit for McD. He likes those 32+ inch arms and ball skillzzz

WEST VIRGINIA

163: R5P19

TE JAKE BUTT - high end value here due to injury. Will be the next Jason Witten imo.

MICHIGAN

171: R5P27

RB WAYNE GALL MAN - Gillislee clone, one cut and go. Underrated RB in a stocked RB draft

CLEMSON

195: R6P11

S JOHN JOHNSON -- simply one of my favorite players in the draft

BOSTON COLLEGE

Edited by YoloinOhio

EDGE SOLOMON THOMAS - allegedly #1 on Bills board and he was there. This is BPA all the way.

STANFORD

VANDERBILT

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER - hand him a North Face jacket with his New Era draft cap, welcome to Buffalo!

USC

CB RASUL DOUGLAS - good fit for McD. He likes those 32+ inch arms

WEST VIRGINIA

TE JAKE BUTT - high end value here due to injury. Will be the next Jason Witten imo.

MICHIGAN

RB WAYNE GALL MAN - Gillislee clone, one cut and go. Underrated RB in a stocked RB draft

CLEMSON

BOSTON COLLEGE

If I could get onboard the no QB train I would love this draft, a few guys I don't think will be available at the slot but still well done.

STANFORD

VANDERBILT

USC

CB RASUL DOUGLAS - good fit for McD. He likes those 32+ inch arms

WEST VIRGINIA

MICHIGAN

CLEMSON

BOSTON COLLEGE

If I could get those later round picks the way you have them projected, sign me up!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.