Eric Striker

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard—never seen it, at least not last year—that he is the type of guy Rex likes to get creative with. A guy he can move around and ask him to do multiple things. I hope so, he certainly is the kind of kid you want to see succeed.

I have heardnever seen it, at least not last yearthat he is the type of guy Rex likes to get creative with. A guy he can move around and ask him to do multiple things. I hope so, he certainly is the kind of kid you want to see succeed.

an example from last year - Rex moved Jerry Hughes around and asked him to do multiple things. He was his favorite toy.

A good article in the Bleacher Report about Moneyball in football says that analytics is already effecting the draft more than we might know and that Striker is one of the victims of the newer approach:

"If you hate hearing about a quarterback's hand size, you'll loathe hearing about a linebacker's respiratory capacity. But scan the list of the well-regarded 2016 draft prospects who were selected late (Kenny Lawler) or not at all (Eric Striker, Jeremy Cash) and you will find that the stopwatch overruled the on-field performance."

Curiously, the article points out that scouts have learned that the standing broad jump positively correlates with DE sacks (something about explosive fast twist muscles).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637858-moneyball-is-changing-the-way-nfl-teams-assemble-their-rosters

A good article in the Bleacher Report about Moneyball in football says that analytics is already effecting the draft more than we might know and that Striker is one of the victims of the newer approach:

"If you hate hearing about a quarterback's hand size, you'll loathe hearing about a linebacker's respiratory capacity. But scan the list of the well-regarded 2016 draft prospects who were selected late (Kenny Lawler) or not at all (Eric Striker, Jeremy Cash) and you will find that the stopwatch overruled the on-field performance."

Curiously, the article points out that scouts have learned that the standing broad jump positively correlates with DE sacks (something about explosive fast twist muscles).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637858-moneyball-is-changing-the-way-nfl-teams-assemble-their-rosters

I read that article this morning and I absolutely agree with some of it, namely:

-- the draft is such a crapshoot that a good strategy is to acquire a boatload of picks and hope you hit on a few of them

-- only pay a premium for premium talent

-- it's probably wiser to keep young (cheap) potential over "proven" veteran performance

The part I'm not so sure about is using those measurables to override results on the field.

It's a decent article though.

To be quite honest I never understood why C. Moore floppped SOOO badly in the NFL......

Never have found a good explanation....the guy should have been a terror in the NFL as well.....but was not

A lot of folks thought they misused Moore. Made him a LB, as opposed to a rush DE.

A lot of folks thought they misused Moore. Made him a LB, as opposed to a rush DE.

IIRC, he was pretty small for DE.

But man, what a great college player. CM is one of my all time favorites.

Eric Striker might not be impressive in his underwear running drills but he looks fast and athletic as hell on a football field. He could very easily be a box safety or 3rd down LBer and be very productive.

he can't be any worse than Duke Williams or IK

Striker and his 4.80 looks infinitely faster than Shaq and his 4.70. Not a slam on Shaq, more a compliment to Striker and reason why players like him can slip. His tape looks like he has great burst off the line and closes strong. If he only runs a 4.80 it looks like he plays at that speed all the time. Some guys just don't have the straight line speed but they have great burst and playing speed, Striker fits that profile.

Striker and his 4.80 looks infinitely faster than Shaq and his 4.70. Not a slam on Shaq, more a compliment to Striker and reason why players like him can slip. His tape looks like he has great burst off the line and closes strong. If he only runs a 4.80 it looks like he plays at that speed all the time. Some guys just don't have the straight line speed but they have great burst and playing speed, Striker fits that profile.

That's interesting because Lawson's 1.64 10 yard split is faster than Striker's 1.69 and he's much bigger. Great point about Striker's "football" speed. I'm hoping that's what separates him.

GO BILLS!!!

IIRC, he was pretty small for DE.

But man, what a great college player. CM is one of my all time favorites.

Hopes were really high for Moore. I remember he was considered a real steal in the 3rd.

As I recall, wasn't he stabbed in the leg or something? I always felt like that was a turning point for some reason, but I may not be remembering that correctly.

That's interesting because Lawson's 1.64 10 yard split is faster than Striker's 1.69 and he's much bigger. Great point about Striker's "football" speed. I'm hoping that's what separates him.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup, really weird, first thing I looked at when I saw the tape was how they compared on the other drills. Striker was worse in just about every athletic measure. It just doesn't look close on tape, Striker comes off the edge very fast and seems to have a closing gear when he's within distance of the QB. On most of Shaq's tape a lot of the time he is supporting the run and anchors, but when he is rushing he doesn't win the edge nearly like Striker does.