RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Taylor to Watkins 2015:

12 games, 56 passes for 999 yards and 9 touchdowns. What were you saying about chemistry?

Something to build on... Once we get everybody in camp, we'll see what's what... I just want the best QB to win out. Tyrod shouldn't have a problem.. B-)

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m3 minutes ago

Good point by Whaley on Cardale Jones: "He doesn't have any muscle memory already ingrained in him that's bad. So we have a piece of clay."

Whaley and Maylock said the same about E.J. I am a EJ supporter as well. Go figure!

DRAFT ANALYSIS: Re: EJ MANUEL

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

Something to build on... Once we get everybody in camp, we'll see what's what... I just want the best QB to win out. Tyrod shouldn't have a problem.. B-)

Tyrod is the Bills starter this year that is in no doubt and he and Sammy developed some great chemistry once the $6m waste of space stopped taking Sammy's touches.

You are going to have to be patient with Cardale 34... my opinion is the same as when we discussed pre-draft if the kid is gonna have a genuine shot it will be because an organisation has invested the time and developed him properly. I get the feeling Chris Palmer and David Lee will be spending a lot of time with him not just in camp but in practice during the season too.

Whaley and Maylock said the same about E.J. I am a EJ supporter as well. Go figure!

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock

And unfortunately for EJ, his first two years were being molded by a **** offensive coaching staff, lack of vet presence is first year, and no QB coach.

Hopefully Whaley has learned from that, and our current coaching staff is a bit better at developing a player for the NFL.

Tyrod is the Bills starter this year that is in no doubt and he and Sammy developed some great chemistry once the $6m waste of space stopped taking Sammy's touches.

You are going to have to be patient with Cardale 34... my opinion is the same as when we discussed pre-draft if the kid is gonna have a genuine shot it will be because an organisation has invested the time and developed him properly. I get the feeling Chris Palmer and David Lee will be spending a lot of time with him not just in camp but in practice during the season too.

Not a shot against Tyrod, but there are more than 32 quarterbacks in the league that would have great chemistry with Sammy. He's flat out that good.

Again, maybe Jones will improve. I still think the best bet is to put him in protected situations, hope he looks great and it can lead to a stolen high pick from a team.

good post Gunner

And unfortunately for EJ, his first two years were being molded by a **** offensive coaching staff, lack of vet presence is first year, and no QB coach.

Hopefully Whaley has learned from that, and our current coaching staff is a bit better at developing a player for the NFL.

yessir !

It's funny because the first report I saw of Jones saying he was "raw" and like "clay" made me think of this exact quote about EJ. I'm fine with the pick itself in any case.

Not a shot against Tyrod, but there are more than 32 quarterbacks in the league that would have great chemistry with Sammy. He's flat out that good.

Again, maybe Jones will improve. I still think the best bet is to put him in protected situations, hope he looks great and it can lead to a stolen high pick from a team.

Gonna be interesting for sure.. I feel like anything can happen.

See, I don't think this is really true. When EJ played last year, I saw a QB who couldn't mentally process all the facets of the game an NFL QB needs to for success. Pre snap protection adjustments, hot reads, recognizing the defense, receiver progressions, stepping up in the pocket, etc. Most snaps it seemed like he would miss one or more of these components on his checklist which would undermine the entire play. I don't believe the coaching would make a difference, I simply don't think his mind can handle NFL game speed.

I'm excited about Cardale, I saw decision making, progressions and great throws from him in an NFL style offense during that 3 game championship run. Last season they insisted on the read option which is the wrong offense for him. As good a coach as Urban Meyer is, this year's draft speaks to the quality of that team and Meyer made a big mistake insisting on his traditional offense. Cost them another national championship, IMO.

Just glad we didn't get Hackenberg. I'm a PSU fan and watching Hack stare down 1 or 2 receivers has me convinced he'll go the way of EJ at best.

Jones most likely will never amount to anything, he's a huge project with a very small % of probably success at the NFL level. But that can be said about 90% of all QB's drafted.

Still you have to keep trying with QB's and a late rd draft pick is worth taking the chance..

I'll also say that I'm thrilled we finally spent a reasonable mid-round pick on a QB with good upside. Whoever said it upthread had it right: We let the draft board come to us.

Spot on. Time will tell, but I feel like they had a fantastic draft. They took risks on a number of guys with early round talent that took a status hit due to some question marks that may or may not matter down the road.

seems really well executed...

I don't love this pick because any QB taken in the later rounds is typically a wasted pick.

And yet... we had to pick a QB at some point. Both our QBs are nearing the end of their contracts and TT is not a proven franchise guy.

Jones is raw but has shown flashes of brilliance. Let's say Roman and Lee mold him into a quality backup. Is he still a waste of a 4th round pick? How much is a good backup QB worth?

Ask the Baltimore Ravens..The year TT leaves, Flacco gets hurt and they had nada.