RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

not true. maybin was not at all ready. he missed the entire portion of training camp in Rochester before finally signing his contract with about 2 weeks left before the season opener.

he was completely under-prepared once that happened and hardly got on the field.

just because he was physically ready, didn't mean he was ready to play.

jw

I thought the post you responded to was sufficiently absurd enough to read clearly as sarcasm but apparently not. I thought we had met before.

What I would like to know was how was he going to play through the problem this season, when the problem was exasperated and he was shut down for surgery by a tackling dummy and not an all-pro tackle?

Because that's exactly what he did at Clemson. They did not have to opt for surgery, but they decided to do so to get the guy at 100% health instead of it limiting his effectiveness during the season.

What I would like to know was how was he going to play through the problem this season, when the problem was exasperated and he was shut down for surgery by a tackling dummy and not an all-pro tackle?

Shoulder injuries are weird. I had a tear in my labrum where its almost as if theres a perfect notch where at the right shoulder angle the thing would pop out with no real effort. I dealt with it for years before I finally had surgery to fix the issue. Shaq's shoulder issue was a known issue and this surgery is prevent further damage to the joint and tissue.

Because that's exactly what he did at Clemson. They did not have to opt for surgery, but they decided to do so to get the guy at 100% health instead of it limiting his effectiveness during the season.

Was it stated post draft that him "playing with the injury" in 2016 would make him less effective, and if so, how much? 90%? 70%? 20%? So all of a sudden, he is useless unless he has the surgery ASAP?

Sorry I don't remember hearing this from FO staff.

Edited by LabattBlue

Was it stated post draft that him "playing with the injury" in 2016 would make him less effective, and if so, how much? 90%? 70%? 20%? So all of a sudden, he is useless unless he has the surgery ASAP?

Sorry I don't remember hearing this from FO staff.

I don't remember them addressing this, but they obviously reassessed after rookie camp last week.

@AdamSchefter

Shaq Lawson was making swim move on tackling dummy in non-contact drill when he aggravated shoulder injury that will sideline him 5-6 months

If SL's comeback isn't until late October, November, I would sit him for the whole year and be 100% ready for 2017. Nothing like putting a surgically repaired shoulder into a 325# lineman coming at you full speed to blow it out again, maybe permanently

Especially based on what a tackling dummy was able to do

If SL's comeback isn't until late October, November, I would sit him for the whole year and be 100% ready for 2017. Nothing like putting a surgically repaired shoulder into a 325# lineman coming at you full speed to blow it out again, maybe permanently

#wastedpick #fragile #failurecontinuesunabated

Does anyone know what the injury actually is?

Judging by the quote below I'm pretty sure it was a complete decapitation. RIP Shaq.

#wastedpick #fragile #failurecontinuesunabated

The 2015 19th overall pick signed a 4 year 9.4M contract with a 5.1M signing bonus. At a 5% increase, Buffalo probably needs to pay SL almost 10M with about a 5.5M bonus.

I'm sure TPegs is thrilled to shell out this money. Just like I'm sure he's satisfied with his GM and HC who sold him on damaged goods that will miss the entire off-season and at least 2 games.

All this for a team that's been in win-now mode since 2014 without, of course, actually winning.

Edited by BillsVet

Then you should go back and look at the 2015 season to see for yourself. Carry on.

I saw it once. That was enough, thanks. Speaking of 2015, it's a great example of posters ripping those with a more realistic view of the team. Either you're a Pollyanna or ridiculed. Take a couple of my predictions for 2015:

- My Bills season projection was that they'd make the playoffs, but lose in the WC round. I got ripped by some for saying that they wouldn't win a playoff game and for saying that they weren't good enough to compete for a title. My projection was actually better than what they achieved, but I was considered to be negative.

- I thought the Rex hire was excellent and that he'd have the defense playing great. I expected a top defense by the end of the season, giving some early leeway for players learning a new system. I way overestimated him and his ability to tailor his defense to the talent. So now think I was wrong based on his performance and that of the defense. But I guess I'm not supposed to take what I see into consideration. If I don't see how super-awesome Rex is, I shouldn't post on here. Or I should just wait until he's on his way out and then we can all bash him together!

Sorry, rose colored glasses shouldn't be required to post here and some people should really take theirs off before ripping people who are correct a whole lot more than they are.

I saw it once. That was enough, thanks. Speaking of 2015, it's a great example of posters ripping those with a more realistic view of the team. Either you're a Pollyanna or ridiculed. Take a couple of my predictions for 2015:

- My Bills season projection was that they'd make the playoffs, but lose in the WC round. I got ripped by some for saying that they wouldn't win a playoff game and for saying that they weren't good enough to compete for a title. My projection was actually better than what they achieved, but I was considered to be negative.

- I thought the Rex hire was excellent and that he'd have the defense playing great. I expected a top defense by the end of the season, giving some early leeway for players learning a new system. I way overestimated him and his ability to tailor his defense to the talent. So now think I was wrong based on his performance and that of the defense. But I guess I'm not supposed to take what I see into consideration. If I don't see how super-awesome Rex is, I shouldn't post on here. Or I should just wait until he's on his way out and then we can all bash him together!

Sorry, rose colored glasses shouldn't be required to post here and some people should really take theirs off before ripping people who are correct a whole lot more than they are.

Those were my thoughts going into last year and I think the viewed was shared by many posters. I am still hopeful though that Rex could figure out a way to turn it around. Sorry you got ridiculed but I don't think your assessment was too far off from what most posters thought.

Don't change the subject that you were being critiqued about. I made a point about Rex incorporating concepts from Schwartz's wide nine scheme that you doubted. You were wrong. Just accept that and move on instead of trying to change the subject.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So teams knew this was an issue but the Bills feel it was not. But this doesn't reek of incompetence?

Didn't watch the video but I again challenge the assertion (at least I think youre making) that he had a huge drop because of his shoulder. He was not a projected top 5 pick. He was projected to go at 11. He fell to 18 because the team at 11 moved up to get a different edge rusher. If his shoulder was the reason then fine. I think the Bears made a mistake and Lawson will have more of an impact than Floyd despite not playing a full season. He was only passed over by a handful of teams that seemed to want OTs really bad.