All Hail Doug Whaley! Look At All He's Done!

Astrobot

I trust Doug Whaley more than most, and know he'll do the best for the Bills tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and down the road. Here's the context for Draft Day.

Over 2 years, Whaley has improved Bills coaching, with Greg Roman, Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, and newbie Pro Bowler Ed Reed. His best coach signings may be veterans John Blake the new DL Coach and David Lee the Quarterback Whisperer.

He scooped up a mobile quarterback in Tyrod, re-signed a Pro Bowl LG Incognito, traded for Top 3 RB Shady McCoy, outbid rival Fins for Charles Clay.

In the 2015 draft, he got 3 starters out of a measly 6 picks, (CB Darby, OG Miller, RB Karlos) none of whom were a 1st-rounder.

He cut a grousing superstar in Mario Williams, but re-signed speed rusher Jerry Hughes, extended Kyle Williams and Corbin Bryant, claimed Enemkpali, and signed T.J. Barnes (6'6", 364 lbs) to free Dareus to move to 5-tech. The draft will bring in a power rusher and another inside guy for depth.

He added depth on offense, including Touchdown Mike Gillislee, James Wilder Jr at RB, and WRs Hankerson, Salas, Little, and solid OC/OG Velasco,

He added depth on defense, including D-Linemen Edwards, Valles, and Reed, WILB Zach Brown, LB Lorenzo Alexander, CB Sterling Moore, CB Corey White, and S Colt Anderson. He extended Gilmore for a year to ensure he's fully recovered before signing him long-term, he signed vet DB Javier Arenas for a 1-year term as insurance, and extended CB Mario Butler.

He had all picks signed by training camp last year.

He made unpopular but necessary cuts (FredEx whose numbers had declined for 3 years, Chandler, Boobie Dixon).

He dealt with 22 different injuries to starters in 2015 (Watkins, Harvin, McCoy, Karlos, Aaron Williams, Cierre Wood, Goodwin, Deonte Thompson, etc.).

He franchised LT Cordy Glenn while they work on Glenn-Gilmore contracts in a more cap-friendly year.

We're about to experience Whaley's ability once again to make the Bills better. Watch for a trade, a "WTF" pick that makes sense later on, passing on "your guy" that got all the buzz and picking a guy we didn't discuss, and a pick at an already-deep position that pans out yet again.

All Hail Doug Whaley!

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate the post, but why the plaudits for John Miller, who was by most accounts one of the worst guards in the entire NFL last year? Starting shouldn't be a benchmark; competence should be. Otherwise, we should have been celebrating Terrence Pennington.

Edited by dave mcbride

I trust Doug Whaley more than most, and know he'll do the best for the Bills tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and down the road. Here's the context for Draft Day.
Over 2 years, Whaley has improved Bills coaching, with Greg Roman, Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, and newbie Pro Bowler Ed Reed. His best coach signings may be veterans John Blake the new DL Coach and David Lee the Quarterback Whisperer.
He scooped up a mobile quarterback in Tyrod, re-signed a Pro Bowl LG Incognito, traded for Top 3 RB Shady McCoy, outbid rival Fins for Charles Clay.
In the 2015 draft, he got 3 starters out of a measly 6 picks, (CB Darby, OG Miller, RB Karlos) none of whom were a 1st-rounder.
He cut a grousing superstar in Mario Williams, but re-signed speed rusher Jerry Hughes, extended Kyle Williams and Corbin Bryant, claimed Enemkpali, and signed T.J. Barnes (6'6", 364 lbs) to free Dareus to move to 5-tech. The draft will bring in a power rusher and another inside guy for depth.
He added depth on offense, including Touchdown Mike Gillislee, James Wilder Jr at RB, and WRs Hankerson, Salas, Little, and solid OC/OG Velasco,
He added depth on defense, including D-Linemen Edwards, Valles, and Reed, WILB Zach Brown, LB Lorenzo Alexander, CB Sterling Moore, CB Corey White, and S Colt Anderson. He extended Gilmore for a year to ensure he's fully recovered before signing him long-term, he signed vet DB Javier Arenas for a 1-year term as insurance, and extended CB Mario Butler.
He had all picks signed by training camp last year.
He made unpopular but necessary cuts (FredEx whose numbers had declined for 3 years, Chandler, Boobie Dixon).
He dealt with 22 different injuries to starters in 2015 (Watkins, Harvin, McCoy, Karlos, Aaron Williams, Cierre Wood, Goodwin, Deonte Thompson, etc.).
He franchised LT Cordy Glenn while they work on Glenn-Gilmore contracts in a more cap-friendly year.
We're about to experience Whaley's ability once again to make the Bills better. Watch for a trade, a "WTF" pick that makes sense later on, passing on "your guy" that got all the buzz and picking a guy we didn't discuss, and a pick at an already-deep position that pans out yet again.
All Hail Doug Whaley!

Doug? Is that you? You should be focusing on the draft now.

Hopefully, people will take this seriously coming from you, Astro.

I think Whaley has been nearly perfect since his arrival. In fact, the two three worst additions, in my opinion, had nothing to do with him.

Indeed, all hail Whaley. indeed.

Edited by Gugny

I look at Whaley as above average, not great, and not bad. I am looking forward to his choices these next three days.

Agreed. I tend to see DW as an average GM in a very competitive field.

Hence our 8-8 record last year.

I'm hoping though that he continues to learn and grow.