All Hail Doug Whaley! Look At All He's Done!

Astrobot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Manuel and now Rex may be his downfall. This year is make or break.

Unlike in years past, wiffing on a QB prospect, and then sitting on their hands, rocking back and forth and telling the fan base all is well, DW signed Cassell and Taylor and made them compete. Now we are in a much better place.

I'll take that GM over any weve had the last decade

RotoWorld ranks Whaley 17th best....mediocre

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/61907/57/nfls-best-gms-2016?pg=2

well, if Rotoworld says it......it must be true

would trust their impartial ranking over rose colored glasses wearing, kool aid drinking homer biased folks around here......just sayin.

I'm pretty certain the Rotoworld rankings are based upon how many fantasy football points the GM's draftees have scored...

would trust their impartial ranking over rose colored glasses wearing, kool aid drinking homer biased folks around here......just sayin.

And since you're here as well, how impartial do you consider your own opinion?

I look at Whaley as above average, not great, and not bad. I am looking forward to his choices these next three days.

I think this is right on the money

I trust Doug Whaley more than most, and know he'll do the best for the Bills tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and down the road. Here's the context for Draft Day.
Over 2 years, Whaley has improved Bills coaching, with Greg Roman, Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, and newbie Pro Bowler Ed Reed. His best coach signings may be veterans John Blake the new DL Coach and David Lee the Quarterback Whisperer.
He scooped up a mobile quarterback in Tyrod, re-signed a Pro Bowl LG Incognito, traded for Top 3 RB Shady McCoy, outbid rival Fins for Charles Clay.
In the 2015 draft, he got 3 starters out of a measly 6 picks, (CB Darby, OG Miller, RB Karlos) none of whom were a 1st-rounder.
He cut a grousing superstar in Mario Williams, but re-signed speed rusher Jerry Hughes, extended Kyle Williams and Corbin Bryant, claimed Enemkpali, and signed T.J. Barnes (6'6", 364 lbs) to free Dareus to move to 5-tech. The draft will bring in a power rusher and another inside guy for depth.
He added depth on offense, including Touchdown Mike Gillislee, James Wilder Jr at RB, and WRs Hankerson, Salas, Little, and solid OC/OG Velasco,
He added depth on defense, including D-Linemen Edwards, Valles, and Reed, WILB Zach Brown, LB Lorenzo Alexander, CB Sterling Moore, CB Corey White, and S Colt Anderson. He extended Gilmore for a year to ensure he's fully recovered before signing him long-term, he signed vet DB Javier Arenas for a 1-year term as insurance, and extended CB Mario Butler.
He had all picks signed by training camp last year.
He made unpopular but necessary cuts (FredEx whose numbers had declined for 3 years, Chandler, Boobie Dixon).
He dealt with 22 different injuries to starters in 2015 (Watkins, Harvin, McCoy, Karlos, Aaron Williams, Cierre Wood, Goodwin, Deonte Thompson, etc.).
He franchised LT Cordy Glenn while they work on Glenn-Gilmore contracts in a more cap-friendly year.
We're about to experience Whaley's ability once again to make the Bills better. Watch for a trade, a "WTF" pick that makes sense later on, passing on "your guy" that got all the buzz and picking a guy we didn't discuss, and a pick at an already-deep position that pans out yet again.
All Hail Doug Whaley!

I am on board with most of this.....but also agree with the others who say SHOW ME THE BABY

This.

Manuel and now Rex may be his downfall. This year is make or break.

(a) Can you prove Whaley (not Nix) pulled the trigger on Manuel? Yes, he was the assistant GM, but it was Buddy's draft. Whaley is a team player and will always say he supported the pick 100% -- which doesn't prove anything other than he is loyal.

(b) Whaley didn't hire Rex, the Pegulas did.

But keep trying.

I like Whaley, but wins and losses are what matters...

6-10, 9-7, 8-8

Not good enough.

That being said, I want Whaley and Ryan to stick around for a few years, I want to see if we can get some continuity for once, and maybe have a chance at improving.

6-10, 9-7, 8-8

Not good enough.

That being said, I want Whaley and Ryan to stick around for a few years, I want to see if we can get some continuity for once, and maybe have a chance at improving.

Coach Whaley needs to do better. :lol:

6-10, 9-7, 8-8

Not good enough.

Buddy gets credit for the 6-10 season. As a full-fledged GM (i.e., in control during the offseason) Whaley's record is 17-15.

Buddy gets credit for the 6-10 season. As a full-fledged GM (i.e., in control during the offseason) Whaley's record is 17-15.

Still not good enough.

Yet.

Like I said, I like him, and want him (and Ryan) to stick around for a while, to see what we can build. But I'm also not going to say he, or the Bills are successful at the moment.

(a) Can you prove Whaley (not Nix) pulled the trigger on Manuel? Yes, he was the assistant GM, but it was Buddy's draft. Whaley is a team player and will always say he supported the pick 100% -- which doesn't prove anything other than he is loyal.

(b) Whaley didn't hire Rex, the Pegulas did.

But keep trying.

Let's judge Whaley by future QB decisions. You can't judge based on EJ (Buddy) or Tyrod (Rex).

It is, as everyone knows, the most important position on the field. It will make or break his career. If Tyrod continues to develop, can Whaley find a way to keep him? Can he choose the right developmental QB beginning with, but not exclusive to, this draft?