All Hail Doug Whaley! Look At All He's Done!

Astrobot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's shown you the baby and you won't look. His job is to handle the roster. As Astro points out he's done that to an outstanding level.

Im not arguing that....but the win record doesnt match the talent level and whether it is a fair crit or not fans will still hold him to that.

He is a crackerjack talent evaluator and drafter in my opinion

I guess I just don't see the great drafting ability that everyone else sees in Whaley. A lot of people look at the drafts by Marv Levy and how they were the worse but has Whaley drafted much better then Lynch Posluszny Williams Whitner

It's a combination of the draft, trades, free agency, and retention of their own good players to up the talent level of the roster that very few in the NFL would dispute.

He's shown you the baby and you won't look. His job is to handle the roster. As Astro points out he's done that to an outstanding level.

This. The GM can only do so much. As fans, we often lose sight of the context surrounding each move. Has he done the best with what he has to work with? Is he making moves to be constantly improving the roster? I'd say yes to both of those.

People can point out existing holes in the roster, but every team has holes, and he can't just grow players on trees.

There isnt a GM in the league that hits on 100% of his picks/moves, I dont even know there is a GM that hits 90%. But I'd say Whaley is in the 65-75% range, and that is pretty good.

Past that, he doesnt prepare the team, he doesnt call the plays, he doesnt execute on the field.

It's a combination of the draft, trades, free agency, and retention of their own good players to up the talent level of the roster that very few in the NFL would dispute.

Yep, look at the overall body of work and Whaley has done pretty decent. He also has improved since Marrone came and went, while messing up the O line

I like what Doug Whaley has done.

With one exception.

Cutting FJ still bothers me. I think his presence would have been a plus last year with the locker room whispers and the times this team seemed to have zero leaders on the field. One of those decisions where he needed to consider more than the numbers.

As for picking players tonight, I'm very confident in our scouting department.

Whaley brings in talent. over time the ability to continually bring in talent will manifest itself into a playoff team and possible SB champions

I'd hate to see whaley fired or leave because mostr likely we will replace him with someone who will never be as good, AND Whaley will continue to be a solid GM in this league if not with us with plenty of suitors who will line up to hire him

Edited by ddaryl

That actually worries me a little bit

If this is Whaley's draft I hope he does not feel undue pressure at that 19th pick

I don't know why it would worry you. Whaley has a brain. Trust him to make the right decision.

but I'm not able to see how Buddy was the driving force behind EJM.

That's what will always come up. It was a Whaley pick. No, it was a Buddy pick. Truth is we don't know, and probably never will. That's why I say toss both aside. Clean QB slate starting now so to speak.

Whaley has done a lot of good things for sure and is willing to maneuver on draft day, which I think is very necessary. However, he has also made some very poor decisions:

1. Trading two R1 picks and a R4 pick to draft WR S. Watkins when he could have gotten WR O. Beckham with one R1 pick. It's almost NEVER a good idea to trade multiple R1 picks for any positional player other than a QB.

2. He supported the drafting of QB EJ Manuel in R1.

3. He has failed miserably to obtain a franchise QB. That's really where the search and the resources need to begin.

4. He has built the organization ass-backwards by paying out big money to many positional players (Dareus, K. Williams, C. Clay, etc.) and now not having the money to even sign a franchise QB, which is where the big money SHOULD be spent.

The Bills can't make the playoffs because they can't beat the f'n patriots!! They can't beat the f'n Patriots because their QB play is not even close to that of the Patriots' QB.

That's a big problem folks!!!

I would love to see some demonstrable math on what percent of moves Whaley has "hit on." There must be some analytics somewhere.

I'm a fan of what Doug Whaley has done for this team, but if he's hitting on the players he brings in I might have to reassess. I'm pretty sure that's sexual harassment and actionable in court.

Rex was the best available coach, who did you want

NO! Anyone else. And you can check back.... I did not like the hire the moment the news broke. Hue Jackson would have been a better choice, I wasn't mad keen on promoting Schwartz but that would have been a better option too.

I recommend that you start with Google. Do your own homework.

This entrapment has been screen shotted.

AFAIK, I haven't seen anyone doing their homework on this point. Just wondering if anyone making the claim based on a 32 GM baseline of percentage "hits" and where Whaley is on that spectrum has a link or two. Or has actually crunched the numbers.

Edited by FireChan

I think Whaley has done a great job. In 50 years of fandom, he is the first GM I feel we have had that is constantly looking to improve the roster at all levels and is willing to be creative to do it.

I don't blame him for EJ at all - we needed a QB badly, and given his measurables it was a reasonable gamble to pick EJ where we got him. Probably doesn't work out (he has one more shot), but give him some credit for taking EJ over Gino the atrocious who was more highly rated.

It is not Whaley's fault Mario tanked it in a pout last year. Or that much of the D was racked with injuries.

And I can't believe he still is accused of trading "two ones and a four" for Sammy. He traded a first - and got the 4 back for Stevie Johnson. Sammy was a great move and one of our best assets.

He is still young too. Give him some time and gain some stability.

I don't care what the press says. I think he is a strong GM.

really? do you notice many impartial expert or nonexpert observers praising the bills' talent level as comparatively excellent or even good? i don't.