Mid to Late Round Guys You REALLY Want the Bills to Draft

I have two guys that I really hope the Bills select this weekend. And they may very well be the two most complete opposite guys in the draft.

1. DJ Reader - NT - Clemson - 4th Rd.

He's 6'3 330lbs and one of the truest NT's in the draft. He is very athletic for his size, powerful, and does a great job of eating up blockers - which is a role we all don't want Dareus to take on. I'm also not too crazy about seeing 300-310lbs NT's/DT's being projected to us at #19. When we're in 3-4, something about having 330lb Dareus play on the outside with a guy barely over 300lbs in the middle doesn't seem ideal to me. Instead, sign me up for Reader in the 4th round to play NT, get Dareus on the end in 3-4, and spend one of our top picks on a pass rusher like Leonard Floyd.

Why I really want DJ Reader

• Reader is one of the reasons why Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd are in talks for a 1st round pick.
  • Can shed blocks and stuff runners behind the line of scrimmage.
  • Very similar to Danny Shelton as a prospect who went 12th overall.

Bottom line: 4th round is an excellent value for a solid NT that can be thrown into the rotation day 1.

2. Jakeem Grant - WR - Texas Tech - 7th Rd.

A true speed demon at 5'7 167lbs, you might write him off as another Roscoe Parrish or Goodwin....but hear me out for a second. Grant isn't just a guy who enamors you with his speed/moves for one play that happens once every few games. The guy has flat out produced all four years of college and made big game changing plays against solid competition. Grant is TT's all time leading receiver over guys like Crabtree and Welker. He's a polished WR and not some raw track star. Not only did he reportedly run a 4.12 at his pro day, he might also be the shiftiest player in the entire draft. He reminds me of a more compact Dante Hall.

Why I really want Jakeem Grant

• He has elite speed, vision, and juke moves for a return man or WR.
  • Excellent route runner and a guy you'll need to keep tabs on at all times when in the slot.
  • As a KR and WR with 90 catches his senior year, he's a guy you can get the ball to him and he can take a hit. (unlike Goodwin).
  • Surprisingly a very impressive down field blocker and pound for pound a very strong dude. Great football IQ.
  • His head looks like it was plucked from a DE's body. Not really a pro or con, but he looks pretty damn intimidating for a guy his size.

Bottom line: Insane top speed and acceleration with juke moves that remind you of Barry Sanders. Get the ball in his hands any way possible.

If you want to see what Grant is all about, watch this tape against Oklahoma St. I think you'll be sold on spending a 7th on him after watching just the first TWO times he gets the hands on the ball. He ends up with 13 recpetions for 178 yards with 1TD, plus a KR for TD. The kid can play.

Edited by TheBuffaloBills

I'm sure that there are a few posters that already know this is coming, but...

Elandon Roberts - LB/Houston

I'll also throw my plug for Malcolm Mitchell - WR/Georgia and Justin Simmons - S/Boston College (though I think both should be 3rd round picks)

EDIT: Oh, I also really like Matt Judon - EDGE/Grand Valley State as a situational pass rusher

Edited by thebandit27

:beer:

There was a similar thread yesterday and I brought up Rashard Robinson the corner that was suspended at LSU. I was curious if you have seen any tape on him, if not here is a link to him playing vs. Mike Evans as a true freshman. This is the game that stands out in my mind and from fumbling around I have found a few scouts touting his press coverage skills. Good length, fluid, battles hard vs. one of the best duo's in college that year. In this video you will seem him playing straight up vs. Evans some is better than others but it's a good mix of press and off coverage.

Scooby Wright in the 3rd would be a steal. The way Rex likes to blitz this could be a great pick

Of all the tape I've watched online with Scout commentary, and believe me I've watched a TON, there is no single player they have ripped on more than Scooby Wright...

One quote... "Scooby Wright looks like he's running with cement shoes in quicksand..."

I watched through two games of his tape and switched...He's just not very good... B-)

There was a similar thread yesterday and I brought up Rashard Robinson the corner that was suspended at LSU. I was curious if you have seen any tape on him, if not here is a link to him playing vs. Mike Evans as a true freshman. This is the game that stands out in my mind and from fumbling around I have found a few scouts touting his press coverage skills. Good length, fluid, battles hard vs. one of the best duo's in college that year. In this video you will seem him playing straight up vs. Evans some is better than others but it's a good mix of press and off coverage.

Haven't studied him much an account that there just isn't a lot of video available.

He's got height and speed, and seems to mirror well in coverage.

Probably a guy that a team could take a shot on in day 3, but I'm wary of guys that haven't played much.

Of all the tape I've watched online with Scout commentary, and believe me I've watched a TON, there is no single player they have ripped on more than Scooby Wright...

One quote... "Scooby Wright looks like he's running with cement shoes in quicksand..."

I watched through two games of his tape and switched...He's just not very good... B-)

I'll have to watch for myself. I just remember him being a sack monster a couple years ago

IMHO Robinson goes in the first 3 rounds...Maybe late second...There is are folks out there who believe if he did not have the off-the-field stuff he was headed towards being a Top 15 pick... B-)

I like DJ Reader as that true 3-4 NT for our defense in the 4th or 5th.

Antonio Morrison / LB / Florida looks like a guy that can be had in the 5th or 6th as well. He reminds me of a Vontaze Burfict type of LB.

Haven't studied him much an account that there just isn't a lot of video available.

He's got height and speed, and seems to mirror well in coverage.

Probably a guy that a team could take a shot on in day 3, but I'm wary of guys that haven't played much.

He is projected in the 6-7 range in hoping we take him in the 6th. Plenty to work with, get him back into football shape and see what you can do with him.

I'll have to watch for myself. I just remember him being a sack monster a couple years ago

He has one of the shortest strides I've ever seen...Choppy runner...He's instinctive but he does not have the athletic ability to get to the ball...Gets caught up in the trash a lot...Teams LOVED to isolate him with a RB coming out of the backfield to expose his slowness...I just could not watch anymore...I don't think he's an NFL player...Not even on Special Teams... B-)

Antonio Morrison / LB / Florida looks like a guy that can be had in the 5th or 6th as well. He reminds me of a Vontaze Burfict type of LB.

Love the Reader idea...

Morrison is SO slow...But he's such a leader and a gamer it's hard not to like him late...

IMHO Robinson goes in the first 3 rounds...Maybe late second...There is are folks out there who believe if he did not have the off-the-field stuff he was headed towards being a Top 15 pick... B-)

If you could link anything recent stating that he is climbing up the boards? When I mentioned him yesterday Blokes said he weighed in at 171 and what I'm finding is 6th-7th round projections. Perhaps that is all related I'm not sure. If you find anything else out please share it!

It sounds like this NT Reader is the real deal - and I honestly don't know. But, if he's as good as advertised here, it would seem the BILLS would need to get him in the 3rd, since true NTs are more rare these days and a good one, is nearly quite literally worth their weight in gold...for the right team.

If you could link anything recent stating that he is climbing up the boards? When I mentioned him yesterday Blokes said he weighed in at 171 and what I'm finding is 6th-7th round projections. Perhaps that is all related I'm not sure. If you find anything else out please share it!

It's just talk...I've seen him all over the place...

He's a 6-1 CB with speed who played REAL well at times vs. very good competition as a Freshman...If his off-the-field stuff checks out it only takes one team...And CB's with his skill set tend to rise...

I'm not saying he goes as high as the 3rd, but there is a buzz out there...I see him as more of a 4th-5th Rd prospect with a real nice skill set to mold... B-)

I love Scooby Wright, he's a great kid and I watched him play at Arizona and he was great there, but I fear he is too slow to be an NFL linebacker and he would be useless in coverage. I think a better alternative is Blake Martinez from Stanford. He is quicker, has great instincts and can also contribute on special teams.

It's just talk...I've seen him all over the place...

He's a 6-1 CB with speed who played REAL well at times vs. very good competition as a Freshman...If his off-the-field stuff checks out it only takes one team...And CB's with his skill set tend to rise...

I'm not saying he goes as high as the 3rd, but there is a buzz out there...I see him as more of a 4th-5th Rd prospect with a real nice skill set to mold... B-)

Yeah I have done some more searching and it's anything from 4th to UDFA depending on sites. He had visits with Oakland and Philly so I'm going to say he goes closer to the 4th than going undrafted. He ran a 4.49 some predicted he would be in the 4.3 range. Slide on down to Buffalo in the 6th imo.

He has one of the shortest strides I've ever seen...Choppy runner...He's instinctive but he does not have the athletic ability to get to the ball...Gets caught up in the trash a lot...Teams LOVED to isolate him with a RB coming out of the backfield to expose his slowness...I just could not watch anymore...I don't think he's an NFL player...Not even on Special Teams... B-)

As much as I bagged on Scooby above, the bolded language is just so wrong. The guy was a tackle machine in his sophomore season when he was healthy the entire year and he almost never "got caught up in the trash" as you state. His biggest problem in the NFL would be pass coverage. He wasn't asked to do much if any of that in college and any tight end or running back with any speed would blow right by him.

3rd Round - Rashard Higgins - WR, Colorado State University

6-1, 196

Superior route running

Not top tier speed, but no wasted motion/effort

Great ball adjustment skills

Perhaps the best footwork of any WR

"Competitive blocker"

Lean (needs to add some muscle mass)

Routes, running, catching looks effortless

Can take over a game

Plays smart - outsmarts CBs

6th Round - Brandon Doughty - QB, Western Kentucky

6-3, 220 (ideal size)

Great decision making (huge positive in my book)

Some list his arm as "adequate" some as slightly above average

Mechanics need work (mechanics are coachable)

Played in a spread offense (a bit of a negative, but hopefully he is sitting for 3 years to learn the pro system)

"Tough passer to blitz" - understand outlets

"Above average field sense, awareness and vision"

6th Round - Jayron Kearse - SS, Clemson

6-4, 216 (Love this size)

NFL bloodlines

Needs coached on some technique, coverage, angles

"freakish speed and knack for turnovers"

In the 6th, this could would be a steal and someone that could take a year to learn the NFL game

The majority of this came from CBSSports.com. Some info on Doughty came from other things I've heard over the past couple of weeks from random sports talk, ESPN, etc. Some of my impression on Higgins came from watching him live and in person during several games.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

Love the Reader idea...

Morrison is SO slow...But he's such a leader and a gamer it's hard not to like him late...

Yeah, I think even if he were completely healthy for his workout that he wouldn't have ran much better than a mid 4.6's to a 4.7. The guy will knock the snot out of somebody though and he takes the game seriously. :thumbsup:

As much as I bagged on Scooby above, the bolded language is just so wrong. The guy was a tackle machine in his sophomore season when he was healthy the entire year and he almost never "got caught up in the trash" as you state. His biggest problem in the NFL would be pass coverage. He wasn't asked to do much if any of that in college and any tight end or running back with any speed would blow right by him.

I appreciate the info from someone who has watched him more than I have...

I like Voch Lombardi a lot...Most of what I do starts with his film sessions...He's not perfect by any means...But I like him because, regularly, he's ultra-critical...Even when a kid looks good on tape he'll point out whether or not he has the athletic ability and quicks to do it in the NFL...I like him because he does not allow me to get overly excited about players when they look good in College tape...

Like I said I watched 2 games of Scooby, which certainly is not a full look at his College career...To be fair he did have a great, great Sophomore year...But goodness...I was not impressed at all...Looked to me like he read the play right a lot but could not get there...I saw him get caught up in the trash with my own two eyes...And get pushed around by OG's...Maybe it's a post-injury thing...Maybe I just watched the wrong games...I was not paying any attention to that...I could not watch him anymore...He's just not an NFL caliber athlete based on what I saw...Maybe it was still the injuries...On the last play I watched, the Offense isolated a RB out of the backfield on him...It was a swing pass...He read it fine but could not get there, missed the ankle tackle and there goes the RB for a big gain...I turned it off...

Maybe he can get healthier...He was dealing with two different injuries...It's just hard for me to get past how un-athletic he looked to me...Top heavy and slow with those choppy steps...

The thing is when I see guys like Scooby...And to an extent I feel the same way about Ragland...And Ragland is twice the athlete Wright is...When you have a guy who is playing off the line and he can't run, it's like he's got a target on his back...NFL teams are going to isolate him in drops and one-on-one match-ups and they are going to exploit the heck out of him...It's a passing league...They are going to find him...If Clemson could do it to Ragland in College you have to believe NFL Offensive coordinators will do it to Wright on every play...He can't hide out there...

But no question I could be wrong about him...I see comparisons varying from Zach Thomas to Burfict...I just don't see it...But we'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Rashard Higgins

DJ Reader

Dak Prescott

Vi Teofilo

TJ Green

Devonte Booker

I work from home and almost always have some kind of NFL Draft podcast or video going on in the background...I'm not 100% sure who it was...Maybe Daniel Jeremiah...But they were sayong some teams view TJ Green as a CB and due to his size/speed he could go in the 2nd...Thought that was interesting... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

So funny you mention that. I kept hearing the name Scooby Wright so I watched him play. I also made fun of his running. I remember thinking, "He runs like a kid learning how to ice skate, or like someone trying to run in the snow without slipping." Very flat footed stomping around the field with a short stride. I can't see why people like him so much.

I like both of these, with in my limited knowledge.

If bills do not take a DT who plays the run very well I would consider Reader a must have and would be good with trading to position for him. He would get on the field first year and be decent too. I credit Bandit with making me dig into him.

Morrison i stumbled across when looking over LB depth in the draft. Think he would be a good fit for Rex's Bills.