Mike Tirico leaving ESPN (update- Skip Bayless too)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't stand Tirico. That said football was his best sport. He was awful covering the NBA and even worse covering golf. He last only a few weeks on ESPN radio before SVP came to the rescue and then ultimately took his show.

Then again I am in the minority of people that have had enough of Al Michaels too...

it's mcdonough which is a great choice...Tirico too much of an NFL butt kisser

McDonough is terrific; in same class as Tirico.

What I bet gets in these really good guys' craws, like McDonough and Tirico, is seeing these horrendous announcers like Jim Nantz call

Major sporting events. Tirico now has a shot at calling a Super Bowl.

Any idea how much different the money is for Tirico? Is it opportunity related? It generally comes back to money.....

Opportunity? NBC sports is a graveyard compared to ESPN. An occasional SB? Some Olympics? NASCAR? Figure Skating? NHL??

HE had a dream job. Must be a ton of money involved.

Now Skip Bayless too!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/skip-bayless-leaving-espn-first-take-stephen-a-smith

Off to Fox Sports

Weird- did they actually recruit him?

Who can fill those shoes?

1/27/12

@realskipbayless

I KNOW what Tebow can do in the NFL. I've seen it over/over/over. I'm not sure what Andrew Luck can do or if he has Tebow's It Factor

Now Skip Bayless too!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/skip-bayless-leaving-espn-first-take-stephen-a-smith

Off to Fox Sports

Weird- did they actually recruit him?

Who can fill those shoes?

1/27/12

@realskipbayless

I KNOW what Tebow can do in the NFL. I've seen it over/over/over. I'm not sure what Andrew Luck can do or if he has Tebow's It Factor

ESPN got slightly more watchable if Bayless leaves

My guess is that they will try very hard to put a woman in the booth with Gruden.

If so, Doris Burke would be my choice. I like the way she calls the basketball games. Allegedly, she's called some college football games.

Whatever they do, no more shouting. It's like all those guys did their broadcast training reading severe weather bulletins.

Edited by dpberr

My guess is that they will try very hard to put a woman in the booth with Gruden. That would be a very "I've never watched sports in my LIFE" ESPN executive move.

If so, Doris Burke would be my choice. I like the way she calls the basketball games. Allegedly, she's called some college football games.

yes she is in the booth for CFB as well. Beth Mowens is the other one, she does the games with Joey Galloway.

I vote for Sam Ponder

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bayless is never gonna be seen or heard from again at that barren wasteland of a network. I mean really, does anyone watch fox sports for anything but the NFL broadcasts? I stopped watching the pre game shows a long time ago personally, just tune in for the games and I'm out

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Opportunity? NBC sports is a graveyard compared to ESPN. An occasional SB? Some Olympics? NASCAR? Figure Skating? NHL??

HE had a dream job. Must be a ton of money involved.

I think ESPN remains committed to cutting salaries. He, along with Bayliss were probably going to be asked to take a paycut or be released so they bounced.

It's weird at ESPN. The SO was watching General Hospital the other night and Stephen A. Smith was on GH playing a private investigator. And even more oddly, not shouting at the actors.

Edited by dpberr

ESPN is unwatchable, they fire curt schilling, but leave a blowhard like tony kornheiser on. im glad they are going kaput. glad to see a quality guy like tirico leaving.. obviously sees the handwriting on the wall ..

Edited by dwight in philly

I think ESPN remains committed to cutting salaries. He, along with Bayliss were probably going to be asked to take a paycut or be released so they bounced.

It's weird at ESPN. The SO was watching General Hospital the other night and Stephen A. Smith was on GH playing a private investigator. And even more oddly, not shouting at the actors.

You're probably right. The word on that network is that they are always about the brand, no one is bigger, etc. But who has gone on to fame and fortune after leaving there?

Wow...General Hospital is still a TV show?

Bayless is never gonna be seen or heard from again at that barren wasteland of a network. I mean really, does anyone watch fox sports for anything but the NFL broadcasts? I stopped watching the pre game shows a long time ago personally, just tune in for the games and I'm out

Fox Sports Live is tremendous. The guys are hilarious and they actually spend most of the show doing highlights of all sports. It is how SportsCenter used to be and it blows away the current SportsCenter format of about 10 minutes of highlights per 60 minute show and then 50 minutes of analysis of 3 or 4 games.

Edited by Mark80