Which QB do you want the Bills to draft?

Which QB do you want the Bills to draft?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do want the Bills to draft?

• Connor Cook, MSU (Projected Round 1-2)
    • Cardale Jones, OSU (Projected Round 3-4)
    • Dak Prescott, Miss State (Projected Round 4-5)
    • Brandon Doughty, WKU (Projected Round 5-6)
    • Kevin Hogan, Stanford (Projected Round 6)
    • Brandon Allen, Arkansas (Projected Round 6-7)
    • Nate Sudfeld, IU (Projected Round 7)
    • Vernon Adams, Jr., Oregon (Projected Round 7)
    • Jake Coker, Alabama (Projected Round 7)
    • Jeff Driskell, La Tech (Projected Round 7)
    • Would prefer they don't use a draft pick and wait to sign a UDFA (i.e. Jake Rudock, UM, Marquise Williams, UNC)
    • Prefer they don't add a rookie QB at all

Hogan is the way to go for me. He doesn't have a cannon like Jones, but on short and intermediate routes he puts the ball where receivers can get YAC. He seems to read the field well. He's not afraid to run with it if nothing is there.

He's not just an athlete who plays quarterback. I think people get too attached to athleticism.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 overall pick probably

Maybe so, but depending on where we are at season's end it may be worth the move up. He looks like the best dual threat QB who can really throw the ball since Cam.

Hogan is the way to go for me. He doesn't have a cannon like Jones, but on short and intermediate routes he puts the ball where receivers can get YAC. He seems to read the field well. He's not afraid to run with it if nothing is there.

He's not just an athlete who plays quarterback. I think people get too attached to athleticism.

He just doesn't have the arm to get it done, at best he is fitz, which is great if TT was an elite QB. Until we have one we need to keep drafting for starting caliber QBs

If I am looking for a guy who would allow me to let TT walk next Jan if I am anything less than all in - trade back in the 1st and take Connor Cook.

If I am looking for a guy who allows me to look at a team friendly Kaepernick type deal for TT who is a project with upside (so you pay Tyrod for a couple of years but allow yourself to get out of the deal after that) - Cardale Jones with a trade back up into the 3rd but not with one of my first 3 picks.

If I am confident TT is my guy then Hogan in the 6th or 7th to replace EJ as my game manager .500 QB back up.

The QBs in this draft are all about finding value.

I seem to remember the last time the Bills really liked a mid round QB. We loved him so much we traded up in the third and took.. TJ Graham. The QB we thought we'd get in the 4th was Russel Wilson. We know how that went... If we really want Cardale, we better take him this time and not the 72nd ranked receiver. I nearly buried my computer that day!

I am going all in with TT and not wasting a pick on another project. EJ can be backup this year.

Our cap situation is forcing us to have value players that can contribute immediately. We need pass rushers and fast linebackers and another safety now. Forget the QB position for this year.

This is the drafting philosophy that has made the Bills great. Well done.

I seem to remember the last time the Bills really liked a mid round QB. We loved him so much we traded up in the third and took.. TJ Graham. The QB we thought we'd get in the 4th was Russel Wilson. We know how that went... If we really want Cardale, we better take him this time and not the 72nd ranked receiver. I nearly buried my computer that day!

I was going to say this in response to the "just use one of the 4ths on Jones" post. QBs with any value around the league usually go a round earlier than projected. Every draft board out there had Russell Wilson as a 4th round pick that year. We know how that went. They will probably have to use their 3rd to get Cardale Jones.

I was so excited when the Bills traded up, I really thought they were getting Wilson. But....nope.

Edited by JM57

Nice topic Yolo!! I am similar to OldTimer, each guy is a little more intriguing the further they fall.

I kind of have 2 schools of thought. If the Bills are pretty sure that Tyrod is the guy I'd like to see someone like Hogan that is smart, can play a few games and be the long-term #2. If they aren't yet convinced Id like a high upside guy like Cardale. This give you 2 swings at a franchise guy (he and Tyrod). I can't imagine that they are convinced Tyrod CAN'T be the guy at this point. If that were the case best available.

I voted Cardale with one of their 4th round picks hopefully. I think that they aren't yet convinced so he would be my guy. FWIW, I like Driskell as a project too. I thought he was horrible at Florida but the light seemed to go off at LA Tech. He was a big time recruit and a great athlete.

KJ - I went with Hogan as well. He played in a pro style offense, had multiple checks, we could get him in the 4th to 6th, had unique training with that simulator stuff no one else has so he gets hundreds of mental reps before each game, and played in a Roman offense. He has some mechanical things to clean up, but they are going to give a minimum of 1-2 years on TT.

Cardale Jones as early as round 2...

I'd bet alot of GM's are keeping their feelings about this kid under wraps. If I'm CLE, I'm making eyes at Wentz for the specific purpose of throwing others off my scent.

To my knowledge, Jones NEVER lost a start... A successful college coach making a personnel change during an up and down season should surprise NO ONE. -That's what college coaches get paid to do.

All well and good after the kid you benched won your school the NC.

-And that's another thing.... I watched Jones go up against some POWERFUL defenses in that NC run... I honestly thought that kid woud get vaporized. Arm-talent is one thing.. However, the presence of mental fortitude in the face of withering opposition adds a dimension of value ignored only by FOOLS.

Wentz has displayed tremendous arm talent, physical prowess, and aptitiude for the game... Still, the cautious buyer must ask: AGAINST WHOM? Is there an FCS school out there that can trade punches with the likes of Alabama or Oregon?

I don't think there is... Watching Carson Wentz run over DB's one-quarter his size, while entertaining, does NOT make me say -"Ooh! There's my Franchise guy"!

Cardale all the way... Wherever this kid ends up, I hope he gets the support he needs to reach his true potential.

Edited by #34fan

I don't the fact that the Bills have not drafted many QBs over the years is a good reason for reaching on one just for need. If you are going to do that take the Badol approach and take the next QB on your board at #19 wherever you have him graded.

The Bills should take a Quarterback in this draft. I am confident they will. Who and where will tell us a lot about what they really think about Tyrod.

I picked Hackenberg. He needs to sit and learn but I think he's got potential and he'd be available in a later round where you could take him.

Cardale Jones doesn't thrill me. He regressed significantly on a team loaded with talent and the same coach he had the year before.

I picked Hackenberg. He needs to sit and learn but I think he's got potential and he'd be available in a later round where you could take him.

Cardale Jones doesn't thrill me. He regressed significantly on a team loaded with talent and the same coach he had the year before.

same HC. Different OC and QB coach. There is so much more to the story, it isn't as simple as you put it.

He didn't actually "significantly regress" like say, Hackenberg. He started 10 games his whole career. 3 in the playoffs. 7 the next season. He never lost a game. He was third string to begin with and ascended to starter due to injury. He's the same prospect this year as he was last year, if you watch the film. He didn't regress significantly, he had an inconsistent 10 games. The drop in production this year was in many ways a result of the new play caller and decision to go back to the pure Urban offense that does not suit his game or his strengths. It's a decision they made because they could. They had a QB who runs it to perfection and he was healthy. Jones is not an urban Meyer QB. The last game he started vs Minnesota, however, when Barrett was suspended, he played well when plays were called to his strengths and when asked to run the zone read (whyyyy) he struggled. He's not as quick as Barrett but when he does run he's hard to take down. He's green. He needs time to develop.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Cardale Jones would be a total roll of the dice. He looked like a franchise QB in the playoff games but couldn't hold onto the job against OSU's cupcake schedule, so who knows? I would probably stay away from him because he was originally 3rd string for a reason.

i feel like a broken record here, but he was 3rd string because he doesn't fit the offense they run as well as the two ahead of him. He was recruited by the previous coaching staff. He's a pro style QB. Urban wants a running QB. He had no choice but to play him in the playoffs because the other two were hurt. It was either that or burn a redshirt. He had always been the best NFL QB prospect on the team but that doesn't mean much to urban.

That doesn't mean he isn't a roll of the dice for other reasons which is why he isn't projected to go before the 3rd.

Edited by YoloinOhio