Kevin Hogan

I think it is a closed minded position that you cannot find a backup QB unless you take one early......

We are not looking for a starter...Whaley has made it plainly obvious that Tyrod Taylor is their starter.....we are looking for a backup QB.

And....as I have previously said....we are not looking to replace EJ Manuel this year either....we are looking for someone to give EJ Manuel competition but ultimately to groom for the following year.

I never said "you can't find a BACKUP QB, unless you take one early"...I didn't say that at all. In fact, if you want to find a backup, you might as well draft them late.

I want them to approach it like they want to find a starter (in other words, use a high draft pick), and if he falls short, he can be a backup. I realize that EJM didn't pan out, but generally, I think that is the best way to find ANY QB (backup or starter).

I've had enough of laying out this simple concept for you, Johnny Hemet. Good Day, Sir.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. If you think someone has the potential to be a long term solid backup he is worth a late round pick.

I disagree with all due respect. There are guys like Hoyer and Fitz still on the market. Backup Qbs are not hard to find. And as much as people want to act like EJ is the worst qb ever, he is a pretty typical backup qb.

The reason to spend a pick on a guy who you feel has "solid backup" as his floor, is the same as the reason Hoyer and Fitz are still on the market. Fitz, especially (but I imagine Hoyer too) want to be paid serious money - starting QB money. The point of drafting a backup QB is, he costs less than thoze guyz.

Overall, though, I agree with the philosophy that if you pull the trigger, you pull it on a guy who has "potential starter" as his ceiling and "solid backup" as his floor, not on a guy you look at and say "he'll never start in this league". Cuz that's the whole point of the backup QB, innit? He's one hard hit away from BEING your starter!

Something tells me that the Bills will draft him in the 3rd round this year. Whaley said that he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft and he fits the offensive system. I see him as a poor mans Andrew Luck and I have a real good feeling about Him. I like Tyrod, but I don't know if he has enough to get us to the promise land. I think Hogan will be special.

Sort of like the feelings we had for Trend Edwards...

Edwards was supposed to be accurate (He was accurate, but he was also Captain Checkdown), but could make the deep throws (He rarely did). ....

Only from what I've read, FWIW, as I haven't seen him play - he seems like a cerebral quarterback, comfortable in a complex Offense, and has started a number of games including important / big games. In addition, he's managed his father's long battle with cancer and ultimately his death while continuing his collegiate career, including the aspect of classes at a highly academic institution. So, while I know nothing of his arm strength or poise by watching him - and I'm not discounting that importance or how it bears on my opinion - but the aforementioned traits, seem to be what lends itself to a viable if not very good QB in the NFL. The NFL is littered with "strong armed" QBs who fail to grasp the complexities of the NFL, who cannot adequately read and process a Defense, and who don't truly manage personal life struggles or tragedies while carrying out their professional obligation. I would prefer a guy who has an NFL "good enough" arm but has all of the above-the-shoulders acumen we've been missing from the BILLS teams for many years. Tyrod may be great, and I have high hopes for him, but if we're taking a chance on a QB, it would seem Hogan in the 3rd or first 4th would be a solid choice.

If you have two quarterbacks you have none.

But if you have 3...

Bills need potentially two QBs after next season.

Bring at least one in this year and see if he can be coached up. Consider how much it would cost to pay Fitz or even Hoyer as the BU QB.

Is that a good investment? and these guys are past their ceilings both.

If Bills really wanted a starter they would pull a Rams or Philly move. and next years draft they may have to.

Always keep some wine fermenting to be sure you never run out.

I never said "you can't find a BACKUP QB, unless you take one early"...I didn't say that at all. In fact, if you want to find a backup, you might as well draft them late.

I want them to approach it like they want to find a starter (in other words, use a high draft pick), and if he falls short, he can be a backup. I realize that EJM didn't pan out, but generally, I think that is the best way to find ANY QB (backup or starter).

I've had enough of laying out this simple concept for you, Johnny Hemet. Good Day, Sir.

Its not a simple concept because you are talking out both sides of your ass

- "I never said you cant find a back up QB"

"I want them to approach it like they are trying to find a starter"

WE ONLY HAVE ONE FIRST ROUND PICK......we are NOT going to spend it on another EJ Manuel when we have a encumbant starter!

Something tells me that the Bills will draft him in the 3rd round this year. Whaley said that he is the most NFL ready QB in the draft and he fits the offensive system. I see him as a poor mans Andrew Luck and I have a real good feeling about Him. I like Tyrod, but I don't know if he has enough to get us to the promise land. I think Hogan will be special.

LMAO. "Most NFL ready" yet projected to be picked no sooner than the 5th round. No way in hell do the Bills draft him in the 3rd. A 3rd rounder looks like a Cardale Jones.

LMAO. "Most NFL ready" yet projected to be picked no sooner than the 5th round. No way in hell do the Bills draft him in the 3rd. A 3rd rounder looks like a Cardale Jones.

I honestly would not touch him till the 4th round

Another poster recently shared the link to Erik Turner's site and I think he makes a good argument for why Dak Prescott is actually a better fit than Hogan for the Bills' offense.

Link:http://www.cover1.net/2016/04/dak-prescott-qbmissst/

Prescott is a QB I would consider taking in the 3rd

Another poster recently shared the link to Erik Turner's site and I think he makes a good argument for why Dak Prescott is actually a better fit than Hogan for the Bills' offense.

I get this point but if you're a GM, you should just draft the qb who you believe is the best qb prospect. Drafting to fit an offense could get you in a lot of trouble. Greg Roman might not be here at this time next year.

Dak's a really intriguing guy. This time last year, I laughed him off as a H-Back in the NFL but he's really putting in the work to get better. Half of the problem with 'developmental' players is about if they have the drive to be better once they start getting paid. I think he's a similar kind of character to Tyrod, really tireless worker with a lot of self-belief.

I'd be hard pushed to take him before the 4th but he's probably the guy I want. The NFL seems hell-bent on making Trevone Boykin a receiver so Dakota will do.

I get this point but if you're a GM, you should just draft the qb who you believe is the best qb prospect. Drafting to fit an offense could get you in a lot of trouble. Greg Roman might not be here at this time next year.

Yeah. Just draft good football players and they'll adapt to whatever scheme you're in. That's paraphrasing Whaley from one of his recent interviews.

I made that point though, because so many people are saying Hogan already knows the offense and he's a perfect fit.