Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to believe that Richie's agent is using the deals below as comparables. Yanda was 30 when he signed his deal, Iupati was 27 and Franklin was 24. They are all a lot younger than Richie so you could argue for a discount off these but still I would think Incognito gets paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$24 million on a 4 year deal with about half of it guaranteed.

The four-year, $37.4 million extension that Marshal Yanda signed late last week did not make him the highest-paid guard in the NFL, but the anchor of the Ravens’ offense line will get $17.8 million in guaranteed money, including a $9 million signing bonus, and $17.41 million in cash over the first two years of the deal.

Yanda’s deal is also worth an average of $8.95 million per year which is a higher annual value than what the top free agent guards – the Arizona Cardinals’ Mike Iupati and the San Diego Chargers’ Orlando Franklin – signed for this past offseason.

Iupati’s five-year, $40 million contract included $22.5 million guaranteed and an annual value of $8 million. Franklin’s five-year, $36.5 million contract includes $20 million guaranteed and an annual value of $7.3 million. Over the first two years of their deal, Iupati and Franklin could make $16 and $16.5 million respectively, both slightly lower than Yanda.

I have to believe that Richie's agent is using the deals below as comparables. Yanda was 30 when he signed his deal, Iupati was 27 and Franklin was 24. They are all a lot younger than Richie so you could argue for a discount off these but still I would think Incognito gets paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-$24 million on a 4 year deal with about half of it guaranteed.

The four-year, $37.4 million extension that Marshal Yanda signed late last week did not make him the highest-paid guard in the NFL, but the anchor of the Ravens’ offense line will get $17.8 million in guaranteed money, including a $9 million signing bonus, and $17.41 million in cash over the first two years of the deal.

Yanda’s deal is also worth an average of $8.95 million per year which is a higher annual value than what the top free agent guards – the Arizona Cardinals’ Mike Iupati and the San Diego Chargers’ Orlando Franklin – signed for this past offseason.

Iupati’s five-year, $40 million contract included $22.5 million guaranteed and an annual value of $8 million. Franklin’s five-year, $36.5 million contract includes $20 million guaranteed and an annual value of $7.3 million. Over the first two years of their deal, Iupati and Franklin could make $16 and $16.5 million respectively, both slightly lower than Yanda.

And if Richie's agent thinks that (a) he's in the same echelon as the all-pro guards listed above, or (b) he's going to get the same type of deal at age 33 even if he were, then he's got another thing coming.

The closest comparison is Evan Mathis, who at 33 years old took a $3.25M deal to play in Denver.

And if Richie's agent thinks that (a) he's in the same echelon as the all-pro guards listed above, or (b) he's going to get the same type of deal at age 33 even if he were, then he's got another thing coming.

The closest comparison is Evan Mathis, who at 33 years old took a $3.25M deal to play in Denver.

Evan Mathis was the exact guy that came to mind for me as well. I know this is a business, but people tend to value themselves higher than ANY organization does.

Richie is higher priority than Glenn, IMO.

I would pay him, and try to draft Glenn's replacement.

JR, dude, c'mon.

You're going to prioritize a 33-year-old that we picked up off the street to play a non-premium position over a 26-year old LT with 3 very good years under his belt?

I don't think it's too much to ask that he gives the Bills a fairer shot than the open market. This payday doesn't exist without the Bills.

I guess I'm saying he should be grateful. Teams weren't banging his door down a year ago for reasons of his own creation.

I hear you, but nah. These players get mistreated by organizations constantly. They rarely see all of the money they signed a contract for. He has to get as much as he can while he can, especially at his age. Sucks for us, but I'm not mad at him. If he bounces the Bills will have to find someone else. And there is always someone else.

what did the bills expect ??.....

Richie played at a Pro Bowl level at a salary of $1.1 mil/ 1 yr........ the salary range for top OG's is in the $7-8 mil/yr range.

he deserves $7 mil/yr.

why didn't the bills sign him to a longer deal initially that they easily could have gotten out of ?

why would you place a higher priority on Incognito?

JR, dude, c'mon.

You're going to prioritize a 33-year-old that we picked up off the street to play a non-premium position over a 26-year old LT with 3 very good years under his belt?

Kidney.

I would put money on Glenn not completing his next contract.

I hear you, but nah. These players get mistreated by organizations constantly. They rarely see all of the money they signed a contract for. He has to get as much as he can while he can, especially at his age. Sucks for us, but I'm not mad at him. If he bounces the Bills will have to find someone else. And there is always someone else.

Thing is Bills have never done a good job with that.

I was going to start a list post Levitre. It aint pretty folks.

I'll get my panties in a wad over this when the Bills don't re-sign him and he signs a reasonable, market value (for a 33-year old OG) contract elsewhere. Until then, this appears to be media posturing and isn't really worthy of much angst.

So what if you gave him a chance?

He played lights out all season and went to the Pro Bowl

Pay the man.

Dont be cheap and expect a discount just because you gave him a chance.

Yes you gave him a chance and he rewarded you with a Pro Bowl season

CBF

This is exactly how I feel. The Bills got him to sign a cheap "Prove it" deal and he proved it. The got more than their money's worth. Now step up and pay him. Otherwise he will get paid by someone else. He does not owe the Bills any "hometown discount". Get paid while you can, Richie because you know for sure that the Bills will cut you the minute they need your money to pay someone else. If he would've played poorly or got injured, the Bills would've dropped him like a hot potato. The NFL is a business. I don't expect Richie to take less just because they Bills gave him a shot last year. He more than repaid them already.

That said, I hope he stays. Personally, I think they will end up overpaying for Cordy and lose Incognito. I personally would try to lock Richie up for 3yrs 7-7.5m. And I would offer Glenn somewhere around $9. I don't think he's worth more than that.

i'm sure the bills would like to get ritchie done before tagging glenn.

i would guess the bills offered ritchie $5 mil /yr ave

tagging glenn with the non exclusive is $12 mil..........

that's a pretty big gap when at least for the next 2 years , they are essentially equally valuable

I can't believe anything reported about the Bills the info is always wrong. I know this isn't from the Buffalo news so it has a chance to be correct but it could just be standard negotiating

That said , I loved the way he played last year but if I have to pay him as much as I would to get Alex Boone I just assume move on the younger player.

Edited by baskingridgebillsfan

Thing is Bills have never done a good job with that.

I was going to start a list post Levitre. It aint pretty folks.

Problem is....Levitre wasn't pretty either. Keeping him even at a reasonable amount may not have given you production he had previously.