Bills "frustrated" with Incognito contract demands*SIGNED*

I don't know what he's asking for, but I would think that a contract similar to Clint Boling's deal would make sense, and Boling signed for $5.2M per last year. Boling, however, was 26 when he signed.

For a 33-year old guard, $4.5M per would probably be right. If they're upset with what he's asking for, that would seem to imply that he wants significantly more than that.

Oh i am sure it is that simple.

But maybe he wants guarantees, signing bonus as compared the 6-7.

I need to wait for details.

Might guess this is standard bargaining procedure.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i am sure it is that simple.

But maybe he wants guarantees, signing bonus as compared the 6-7.

I need to wait for details.

Might guess this is standard bargaining procedure.

It's probably not as pronounced as the report claims.

I've said all along that the winning approach, IMO, would be to give him a 2-year deal worth $7.5M that's fully guaranteed.

You can structure it with $3M and $4.5M cap hits to keep the impact relatively low, he gets his guaranteed money (more than the $5M that Boling got), he gets to stay here, and he gets the chance to get one more contract if he can still play in 2 years.

I don't know what he's asking for, but I would think that a contract similar to Clint Boling's deal would make sense, and Boling signed for $5.2M per last year. Boling, however, was 26 when he signed.

For a 33-year old guard, $4.5M per would probably be right. If they're upset with what he's asking for, that would seem to imply that he wants significantly more than that.

i wouldnt be surprised if they are pushing him towards evan mathis money even - who was sub 4m, but in the 4 flat ballpark.

i love how quick people are to say pay him whatever he wants though. the dude is 33, still carries some off field risk, and we have no idea what hes asking for.

If he truly does want more than they're wiling to pay, let him go find it in FA.

You're better off paying less to a guy like Mathis, Schwartz, or Brooks. Those guys would be considered 2nd tier FAs after Incognito, Osemele, and Allen.

absolutely and I don't think the Bills should overpay for him. Both sides make sense. If Richie can get a big time payday on the market at this age then more power to him. The Bills should not give a 33 yr old G a huge contract. I just hate that he would need replaced.

I certainly didn't, that's for sure. I've said it multiple times recently that I'm just happy that Richie seems to be in a better place mentally than he probably has been since before his college days. He impressed on and off the field and the amount of interest in him is a credit to his rehabilitation.

I think he still represents a risk factor for a big contract though. I wouldn't chase him with an open chequebook given his age. I'd like him back but not at any cost.

It's not the end of the world if he leaves and I'd get it if he does. It would sting a little for the reasons previously discussed though.

I cannot argue against any of your points.

I would like to add in one comment before i run.

He did get that season off to rehab his body that most players his age never get the chance for. It showed in his health and strength on the field. So I dont like to toss the age thing out there as leverage . how about we call him 31.5 ?

LOLd

It's probably not as pronounced as the report claims.

I've said all along that the winning approach, IMO, would be to give him a 2-year deal worth $7.5M that's fully guaranteed.

You can structure it with $3M and $4.5M cap hits to keep the impact relatively low, he gets his guaranteed money (more than the $5M that Boling got), he gets to stay here, and he gets the chance to get one more contract if he can still play in 2 years.

DONE! WHERE DO WE SIGN !

absolutely and I don't think the Bills should overpay for him. Both sides make sense. If Richie can get a big time payday on the market at this age then more power to him. The Bills should not give a 33 yr old G a huge contract. I just hate that he would need replaced.

i think back to when (i believe it was) marcell talking to the media and richie was yelling in the background to pay the man his money....

for a guy that hadnt played as a bill, and was coming off his issues..... it did, at the time, give me a pause about what his negotiations might go like if he played well.

i still think it happens, but im guessing hes going to do what he can to get his. no shame in that, but id guess itll be a push up until free agency for every penny.

This is a very problematic situation. For continuity sake it's important to keep him. For cap reasons it's important to not overpay a guard. Hopefully this is just all posturing and a deal gets worked out, but I'm not optimistic as this point.

I cannot argue against any of your points.

I would like to add in one comment before i run.

He did get that season off to rehab his body that most players his age never get the chance for. It showed in his health and strength on the field. So I dont like to toss the age thing out there as leverage . how about we call him 31.5 ?

LOLd

I'll let you have that one! :thumbsup:

That year off did him a world of good. As much as many argue the length of the suspension, Richie used the time off in the right way.

i wouldnt be surprised if they are pushing him towards evan mathis money even - who was sub 4m, but in the 4 flat ballpark.

i love how quick people are to say pay him whatever he wants though. the dude is 33, still carries some off field risk, and we have no idea what hes asking for.

Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that. Does one season really make all these teams ignore the reason that no one was willing to sign him 2 years ago? They knew then that he could play but he still had zero interest. It seems like that would significantly effect other teams offers but maybe I'm being naive and it was more about pr of bringing him back.

Good teams don't pay 33 year old free agents big money or give them long term deals- sorry. At this point he is worth barely over the league minimum, despite his awesome year last year.

he is worth more than that but I agree they really shouldn't overpay. The problem is, as always, replacing him. We did the right thing by not overpaying Levitre either but they didn't replace him adequately. The Bills have not drafted well on the OL recently. And outside of Incognito, the FAs they've signed have been pretty bad too. There is a lack of good OGs around the league. So it's a conundrum.

Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that. Does one season really make all these teams ignore the reason that no one was willing to sign him 2 years ago? They knew then that he could play but he still had zero interest. It seems like that would significantly effect other teams offers but maybe I'm being naive and it was more about pr of bringing him back.

denver was interested last year, but didn't pull the trigger. not sure they are really in a good place cap wise though to overspend on a 33 yr old guard with all the defensive talent they are trying to keep. Edited by YoloinOhio

If Whaley is channeling his inner steelers I doubt this gets done because he will not want to commit the years or money to RI that someone will on the open market. I'm okay with that, because OBD valuations of their players has been solid recently. Just need to do some more work in the personnel department with those 2nd/3rd tier guards and get someone they feel will develop into a starter and let the coaching make it work.

its a balance - all it takes it one other suitor competing for him at a roughly market rate for his skill, and things get dicey for us.

i am guessing, more realistically than the original article, the bills dont expect some massive hometown discount because they signed him last year, as much as they are likewise playing hardball and pricing into the equation that he is not without risk.

When a team lets a player reach free agency this is the risk. If he walks hope they can sign a FA for a price they can afford or draft a LG.

Imagine if Taylor has a very good season

Edited by ALF

If Whaley is channeling his inner steelers I doubt this gets done because he will not want to commit the years or money to RI that someone will on the open market. I'm okay with that, because OBD valuations of their players has been solid recently. Just need to do some more work in the personnel department with those 2nd/3rd tier guards and get someone they feel will develop into a starter and let the coaching make it work.

Kromer has long been EXCELLENT with player development, which especially talking about guard instead of LT, makes me feel good about replacing him if it ends up needed.

i think its likely a workable deal, though both sides will push til the deadline to maximize it for themselves.

It matters what other teams are willing to pay him, not what the Bills want him to take. He had a great year last year, but age and past history are negatives. Unfortunately, many teams have a lot of cap space, so free agent deals this year may show significant dollar increases from what was market even last year.