Coach Sal speculating Incognito about to sign a 2-year deal

Doc

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else notice the "LAR" for "LA Rams" in his career history? Kind of sickening how fast St. Louis had their team stripped from them. I'm old enough to remember the old LA Rams, but still feel bad for the St. Louis fans.

All fifteen of them?

Not only was he our best offensive lineman he was one of the best guards in the league.

Incognito was far from being a total innocent in the Miami/Martin saga. But after the storm died down from the initial reporting of the problems in Miami and a fuller and more accurate presentation of the situation was given Incognito turned out to be unfairly portrayed and one of the biggest victims coming out of that situation.

The contemptible and corrupt commissioner made him a scapegoat and a symbol of bullying because he wanted to protect the shield. The problem was that it was an unfair characterization of what really happened.

I'm happy for Incognito. He worked hard to be a better person and player. He deserves to be rewarded for his efforts.

Did you read the Wells report? It does not portray Incognito as a victim. He was the prime instigator. To say that he is a "scapegoat" now is revisionist history. What are you basing this on? Is it because he is now a Buffalo Bill?

Edited by vincec

wow, i was going through thinking all of these were rather high.

you know contracts. that you suggest this is surprising. a north of 30 yo player with some bit of a reputation...

if it's toward $20mm i'd be amazed.

I'm not sure if it's math or reading compression that you don't do good. (or maybe it's me...)

Did you read the Wells report? It does not portray Incognito as a victim. He was the prime instigator. To say that he is a "scapegoat" now is revisionist history. What are you basing this on? Is it because he is now a Buffalo Bill?

I actually read through all the released texts. I don't know what happened outside of those, but I can tell you what they led me to believe. Richie incognito did not seem to be bullying Martin, but did come off as an absolutely terrible person and a complete flaming A-hole. In fact if you look at his history, Richie incognito has worn out his welcome (to put it mildly) everywhere he's been. He's probably still a terrible person. I'd sure put money on that. But he's an excellent OG and the Bills need one (okay, two) of those. I'm OK with him continuing to be an excellent OG for the Bills for couple more years if he keeps his nose clean for that period of time. The Bills should protect themselves contractually in the event he screws up again, however.

Edited by BarleyNY

If so this would most likely mean bye bye Glenn.

I am hoping it is for around $3.5mil with some bonus money and it could go to $4mil.

I want Richie back but also want Glenn back. These two make for a great left side of the line.

Why? They'll have enough money to sign the players they want to after a few cap related moves. Cutting Mario and restructuring Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus will free up $20 million by itself

Why? They'll have enough money to sign the players they want to after a few cap related moves. Cutting Mario and restructuring Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus will free up $20 million by itself

I could be wrong but couldn't they also lower Gilmore's 2016-cap number if they get him on a long term deal this off-season too? I know his number is something like $11 million this season because its the 5th year option on his rookie deal.

I did read it when it came out (thus before he became a Bill), and recall walking away thinking that Incognito needed help as much as Martin. That was further cemented by stories later like Richie taking a bat to his Ferrari. It sounds like he got the help he needed, fortunately. Let's hope he stays mentally healthy for his own sake as well as our team's.

I could be wrong but couldn't they also lower Gilmore's 2016-cap number if they get him on a long term deal this off-season too? I know his number is something like $11 million this season because its the 5th year option on his rookie deal.

Yes on Gilmore. A long term deal would almost certainly lower his 2016 hit somewhat. Some significant cap space is going to get freed up, but people will be surprised how quickly it gets used up. Also you have to start looking toward 2017 because contracts with low first year hits rise quickly.

I did read it when it came out (thus before he became a Bill), and recall walking away thinking that Incognito needed help as much as Martin. That was further cemented by stories later like Richie taking a bat to his Ferrari. It sounds like he got the help he needed, fortunately. Let's hope he stays mentally healthy for his own sake as well as our team's.

i believe he actually went to rehab for 6 weeks (same place as Brandon Marshall) and is on a medication. Glad he was able to improve his life.

Yes on Gilmore. A long term deal would almost certainly lower his 2016 hit somewhat. Some significant cap space is going to get freed up, but people will be surprised how quickly it gets used up. Also you have to start looking toward 2017 because contracts with low first year hits rise quickly.

Gilmore's annual deal is probably going to be higher than the 11 mil as well, along with glenn's deal being around 12 mil. It's gonna take some smooth moves by Doug to sign these guys. If TT is gonna get a deal in 2017 we're gonna need 20 mil plus in space just for him.

The mistake you are making is that you are giving credibility to Wells who in reality is not conducting an independent investigation. It is acting on behalf of the league. Wells knows what outcome the league wants before he starts his investigation. He then delivers it. He gets handsomely paid for delivering what the league wants delivered.

The Wells report in this case had as much credibility as the Wells report did in deflategate. The Wells report in the Brady case was shredded and mocked in court. Incognito certainly didn't act appropriately in the Miami case but the portrayal of him was not a fair portrayal. The players in Miami sided with Incognito. Martin was a troubled person who couldn't handle and deal with the juvenile locker-room antics.

Incognito certainly wasn't an angel in the Miami situation. He acted as a dense ranting juvenile. As idiotic as he behaved he didn't act out of malice. Which is the underpinning of bullying.

I did a calc on this a few weeks back, and I assumed a 5-year deal worth $55M ($35 gtd) for Gilmore. First year cap hit was around $8M; 2nd year was $10M. He didn't get back to $11M until year 3, which was the break point of the deal--also happens to be the last year of Darby's contract, so they would be in a position to keep either (but likely not both) from that point forward.

Not disagreeing with you. I think this may be the first step in getting Glenn back. If Richie is signed for a fair price, Whaley and the Bills can see what they have to lock up the LT spot. I was speaking more in terms of continuity of the OLine and building on last year. Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I did a calc on this a few weeks back, and I assumed a 5-year deal worth $55M ($35 gtd) for Gilmore. First year cap hit was around $8M; 2nd year was $10M. He didn't get back to $11M until year 3, which was the break point of the deal--also happens to be the last year of Darby's contract, so they would be in a position to keep either (but likely not both) from that point forward.

That's pretty close to what I was thinking, although mine was just a little lower. I used Jimmy Smith's contract from last year and added a bit for inflation. Smith got 5 years, $48M. Was thinking 5 years, $50M-$52M for Gillmore. The Ravens really kept Smith's first year cap hit low though - only $3.6M. If Gillmore got 5 years, $50M with a $15M signing bonus and a first year salary of $1M they Bills would lower his 2016 cap hit from $11M to $4M.

http://overthecap.com/player/jimmy-smith/1382/

Edited by BarleyNY

If Glenn chases big LT money, he's probably the expendable one. He's good, but he might be able to find "great" money, which won't be the right choice for the bills amongst other priorities.

The problem is then we have to replace him and do we do that in the 1st round? If we keep him we can get a defensive playmaker. If we get rid of Glenn we better nail that replacement cause if not then TT could look bad and this team bottoms out.

That's pretty close to what I was thinking, although mine was just a little lower. I used Jimmy Smith's contract from last year and added a bit for inflation. Smith got 5 years, $48M. Was thinking 5 years, $50M-$52M for Gillmore. The Ravens really kept Smith's first year cap hit low though - only $3.6M. If Gillmore got 5 years, $50M with a $15M signing bonus and a first year salary of $1M they Bills would lower his 2016 cap hit from $11M to $4M.

http://overthecap.com/player/jimmy-smith/1382/

I think as a top 10 pick Gilmore's contract will be closer to Haden territory than Smith, but we shall see

The problem is then we have to replace him and do we do that in the 1st round? If we keep him we can get a defensive playmaker. If we get rid of Glenn we better nail that replacement cause if not then TT could look bad and this team bottoms out.

Yup. And we also would have to do it at the same time as we were trying to replace Mario and find a compliment to Watkins. Plus other needs like LB and RT. That's a tough shopping list for one offseason.

I think as a top 10 pick Gilmore's contract will be closer to Haden territory than Smith, but we shall see

That's a good point. You very well may be right. I'd say that Haden was the better player leading up to their deals, although not by a lot. And for some reason Haden really sucked this season. Not sure what happened to him. Edited by BarleyNY