Source: Colin Kaepernick wants out of SF, in with J-e-t-s

YoloinOhio

Remember William Hurt? A great actor. "Body Heat" And then he couldn't get a job. What happened? Same thing with Kaepernick. Did he forget how to play, or did the defenses figure out how to stop him, and he couldn't adjust? It's a mystery to me how a guy could be as effective as he was a couple years ago, and then be looked at like last week's trash.

I agree, it's one of the "puzzles of the NFL".

It is a prove it contract. He's not making $19 mil and there is no dead money of any substance for SF.

What do you call dead money of any substance? They're on the hook for 3 years of his signing bonus to the tune of $7.4M, which isn't awful, but I'd call it substantive.

Interesting stuff on his $. So they can just cut him prior to April 1 and they owe him nothing and only have about 4m or so in dead cap space? That's some contract.

It's an interesting contract - fair to both parties at the time, I thought. Gives him a big up front payday, fair pay for where he slotted in with QBs, lots of performance incentives and escalators to bump his pay up a tier if he bumped his performance up a tier.

They do have more than $4M in dead $$ though.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Kelly is the perfect coach for him, what an idiot, no wonder he never progressed :doh:

Would they need to pay both him and Fitz? Fitzy going to get about 8mill/year I saw, that's a lot for 2 QBs. Two not so great QBs.

would be cool to sign Fitz as our Veteran backup.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

would be cool to sign Fitz as our Veteran backup.

I agree. Fitz is the perfect backup. Teams just keep trying to stretch him into the main guy. Which he soon proves he isn't. He always has had the knack of being overconfident when he is under pressure and the game is on the line, and throwing a pick at the worst times. He never has changed that habit, never will. But as a vet backup,name someone active better at that roll. You are not a backup if you don't have flaws that limit you from being the main guy.

I would love for the Bills to face Ck twice per year, almost as much as I love facing Fitz twice per year.

Be careful what you wish for. I still think Kap has got some upside to him. He is a dynamic player & if anybody could get something out of him it is Chan. When he gets cut he will sign with the Jets on the cheap my guess is so it would be little risk on the Jets part.

his agent should be telling him nobody is paying him more than 13 mil next year and he should shut his mouth. He should be sucking up to chip and learning that offense. The niners owe him 13 mil for next year but if they cut him its 7 mil in dead cap. If they cut him after next year it's a 4 mil dead cap number. They have a ton of cap space as well so I'd think they keep Kap.

Jets are in the same situation we were 5 years ago. They have Fitz who is average at best and will certainly not win you the Super Bowl. But he plays well enough where you are like "he's doing OK maybe he will take the next step." He won't and they are just wasting their time. I'm not saying Kap is their answer but in the meantime they are missing out on younger guys that they should be giving a shot to instead. They are in QB purgatory

As far as i can tell the 49ers have cap room with him slated to start. They have no incentive to cut him other than to get cap room which they don't need. They might trade him - but why trade him when his value is crap? I see this going nowhere fast.

Guys got 0 leverage to force his way out... so i expect him to stay.

Edited by dneveu

Uh oh....please sign Gilmore ASAP before his INT stats go through the roof!

:lol:

That was my exact thought when I read the title of this thread! Might as well extend Darby too...

I saw Kap play live in St. Louis on MNF is 14', it was the most unimpressive 31-17 win ever for a QB throwing 300+ yards and 3 TD's, I have seen. I moved to endzone seats in the 3rd Quarter from the 50 and saw the same thing, he stares down receivers badly (I counted only 6 times he looked at his 2nd target and my buddy had 5, out of 35? throws). If Austen Davis wasn't the QB for the Rams, Janoris Jenkins doesnt blow coverage and allow Brandon Loyd to catch a 80 yard bomb right before half time, and the 49ers defense returning a pick 6 in the final minute to ice the game, Kap likely loses to a really young Rams team. St. Louis got no pressure on Kap,keyed in on the run game too much and was in it till the end.

Dude has been to two NFC championship games, within a few yards of a Super Bowl title. He has one bad year with a coaching staff not even a mother could love and people think hes awful.

I hope he doesnt go anywhere near the Jets.

Yeah but he had a terrific running game and the 2d best defense in the NFL. Once those things regressed to the mean, what happened?

That amazing playoff game against Seattle where he had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter was his defining moment.

Remember William Hurt? A great actor. "Body Heat" And then he couldn't get a job. What happened? Same thing with Kaepernick. Did he forget how to play, or did the defenses figure out how to stop him, and he couldn't adjust? It's a mystery to me how a guy could be as effective as he was a couple years ago, and then be looked at like last week's trash.

The legend of Roman?

I agree. Fitz is the perfect backup. Teams just keep trying to stretch him into the main guy. Which he soon proves he isn't. He always has had the knack of being overconfident when he is under pressure and the game is on the line, and throwing a pick at the worst times. He never has changed that habit, never will. But as a vet backup,name someone active better at that roll. You are not a backup if you don't have flaws that limit you from being the main guy.

Fitz is definitely in the top 30 QBs in the league. Probably top 20. Nobodies satisfied with the 20th best QB who's well into his 30s but that doesn't mean he's not starting material.

I wonder whether we would have made the playoffs if we had kept Fitz.

I also don't see the 49'ers dumping him and taking a $7M cap hit in favor of going with Gabbert. A new coaching staff means a new start instead of that dumpster fire last year. But then again, do the Jets have any Ducks Chippy might covet?