Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

I also think the team's trajectory indicated that this was possible.

But, it's impossible to say that TT, Clay, Harvin, Incognito and/or Shady, or any of the combination of the three would have come to Buffalo this year. And it's highly unlikely Greg Roman would have too.

When you think back to the offensive vacuum left in the wake of Orton's surprise retirement, it's hard to imagine things playing out the way they actually did.

****. Our backfield might have been Spiller and Jackson in 2015, had Marrone/Hacket stayed. We just don't know.

Roman certainly wouldn't have come since Marrone wanted Hackett to remain OC.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman certainly wouldn't have come since Marrone wanted Hackett to remain OC.

Right. A remote possibility, at best.

So with Marrone/Hackett/Schwartz and with no guarantee of TT, Incognito, Harvin, Clay and/or Shady, you have to at least understand why it's perturbing that a lot of Rexrage stems from the absolute certainty that this was a playoff team.

He was known at Oregon for being a pompous ass. But then again a lot of coaches and a lot of players and a lot of successful people are pompous asses. He didn't know he would want to get rid of TheSeans and a bunch of other players or try to wrest control from his GM and force Lurie into a position to have to decide on one or the other.

Rosenman fired Kelly's personnel guy. Then Luria fired the GM, which he obviously thought was a good idea a the time.

I didn't like Marrone at all the whole second half of his second year and started bitching about him for incompetence after about 6-7 games. I was hoping he wouldn't be the coach.

And that is what I think was the majority of the opinion was around here too Kelly. I was okay with him after year 1.. Did not love him, did not hate him. Started turning on him and his Belichec act in TC year 2. Was screaming for his firing after the 5 day KC- Miami meltdown.... And I remember that being at least 50-50 on this board.

The only I guy I remember who really wanted him to stay once the option was revealed was PTR. Most others were either ambivalent to him leaving , or about 50% of us were hoping and praying he would take. And PTR wanted him for continuity sake, not so much for Marone the coach.

Have no idea where this narrative of most fans wanted him back came from.

I've stated this before that I ran into Brandon Spikes at a BBQ place in his hometown during the off season after we hired Rex. I didn't ask him a single question about Marrone but he offered something close to this. He said no player he knew liked Marrone. He said he was unapproachable and always sat in the back of the bus/plane never speaking to players. Called him smug and arrogant.

I've stated this before that I ran into Brandon Spikes at a BBQ place in his hometown during the off season after we hired Rex. I didn't ask him a single question about Marrone but he offered something close to this. He said no player he knew liked Marrone. He said he was unapproachable and always sat in the back of the bus/plane never speaking to players. Called him smug and arrogant.

i really was glad at the time that marrone left and rex got hired, but all that being said, and what spikes said, how did they manage to look pretty darn good at times under him? i am just asking, have no answer, but the D played lights out his last year and was decent under pettine. i get the schwartz angle, but the team did perform at times. i realize being an A-1 pr--k turns off some of staff, office , coaches and players, but parcells is considered a coaching legend and also a bigger A-HAT than marrone.

Moron is set up pretty nicely in Jax right now, if they hire Schwartz and Bradley can't show marked improvement early next year he could get an interim audition with his old crew back together. He's already got an all expense trip to London every year and a non title nfl job. Asst HC/asst line coach...whatever moron

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Rosenman fired Kelly's personnel guy. Then Luria fired the GM, which he obviously thought was a good idea a the time.

Rosenman was basically the GM. He got the players. Chip forced the issue and demanded that he get control over the players. Lurie was forced to choose one over the other and pretty much had to choose Chip. He demoted and reassigned Rosenman and Chip had his own personnel guy installed. Now Chip is gone, the personnel guy is gone, and Rosenman is going to regain part or maybe all of his power. Lurie couldn't have foreseen that really. At least not after only two years and one in which they just failed to make the playoffs after a late season fall.

he was known in this house as Coach Moron early in his first year. you could tell he was stubborn, arrogant, disconnected, willing to take credit for the good and no blame for the bad. his devotion to hackett made me crazy. and his accomplishment of back-to-back pinstripe bowl victories did not impress.

Yup.

Brandon and the rest of One Bills Drive successfully pulled the wool over the eyes of the fanbase on the hire by saying that he was a winner, that he was forward thinking, analytical and an aggressive head coach when it came to gameday decisions.

I just laughed when I heard that.

I don't think they pulled the wool over our eyes. I think Marrone pulled the wool over Mgmt's eyes. They thought they were getting something that Marrone did not turn out to be.

What would you all be saying if Marrone had stayed and we just won our first playoff game? Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.

I wouldn't say anything. I would be happy. Unfortunately, Marrone quit. So your theory isn't helpful to his case.

And that is what I think was the majority of the opinion was around here too Kelly. I was okay with him after year 1.. Did not love him, did not hate him. Started turning on him and his Belichec act in TC year 2. Was screaming for his firing after the 5 day KC- Miami meltdown.... And I remember that being at least 50-50 on this board.

The only I guy I remember who really wanted him to stay once the option was revealed was PTR. Most others were either ambivalent to him leaving , or about 50% of us were hoping and praying he would take. And PTR wanted him for continuity sake, not so much for Marone the coach.

Have no idea where this narrative of most fans wanted him back came from.

That's a pretty good recap. I think I started really turning on him after he claimed not to know whether Hughes was in the Denver game. I may have wandered down the "continuity" path a bit as well, but when he finally did opt out I think my overall feeling was one of relief.

i really was glad at the time that marrone left and rex got hired, but all that being said, and what spikes said, how did they manage to look pretty darn good at times under him? i am just asking, have no answer, but the D played lights out his last year and was decent under pettine. i get the schwartz angle, but the team did perform at times. i realize being an A-1 pr--k turns off some of staff, office , coaches and players, but parcells is considered a coaching legend and also a bigger A-HAT than marrone.

The team didn't look real good at all offensively they had an amazing defense. Parcells I'd argue was a very beloved coach by his players. He's the kind that drove his players hard but the reward was great and they eventually appreciated his toughness. There's a big difference between a tough hard nosed coach (Parcells) and a coach that alienates his players (Marrone).

No? Who didn't see that coming though?

Oh, never mind...

Marrone wasn't OC for the Bills or Jags, but was OC for the Saints, and they had a good one. Of course that was all Payton, so while he hasn't proven he's a good OC, he also hasn't proven otherwise.