Ed Reed to join Bills coaching staff

YoloinOhio

ANYTHING to improve the clown car we had at safety last year. ANYTHING

Also this:

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/686926569969991681

Alex Marvez @alexmarvez

Source confirms to @NFLonFOX that @buffalobills DC Dennis Thurman expected to work more with DBs now while Rex/Rob Ryan run the defense.

Is that David Bowie?

Edited by bonechiller

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big question in my mind is whether he'll turn out like a Ditka or a Singletary. Ditka was a pretty good player and turned out to be a great coach for Chicago. Singletary, not so much so. Obviously, here we're talking about a positional coach though so perhaps a possible stepping stone for Reed that could benefit the Bills DB's. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Rex is the D coordinator. I don't care who has the title. Rex runs the defense. His brother will help. Thurman will help. Ultimately, it's Rex's defense.

Would the Bills offense have been any different if Chan had replaced Curtis Modkins when they were with the Bills? NOPE.

It's true that Rex runs the D but Rex is also the Head Coach. Rex sometimes needs time away from the defense. Sometimes he's going to be in meetings with DW or other OBD folks. Sometimes he's going to spend time with the offense. Sometimes he's going to be busy with admin or PR tasks. So he needs a day-to-day DC to run practices, manage the defensive coaching staff, and so on. That person (Rob or Thurman) will not have as much input as an independent DC working for an offensive HC. But the role is still important.

Singletary is a great position coach, not a great HC

I don't even know about that. The Ravens team he was good before his two year stint and good well after. The 49ers were terrible when he was there as both a positional coach and HC and only improved defensively after he left. They were near bottom in the NFL. Minnesota the same for 2011-2013. I would argue that the fact that he hasn't coached for anyone for the last two years is evident that there's at least 32 other linebacker coaches that were deemed better. It's argumentative, but the stats support my conclusions.

I'm always surprised at how many former players have gone into coaching....

Ed Reed would be an amazing addition.

I don't think that casual fans realize how intelligent these HOF level players really are. Hearing them talk about the game on NFL Network or Sirius is really enlightening.

Plus Ed Reed obviously knows the scheme and would command respect from our players.

After the Polian comment about him Leonard being on the field barely walking because he was the only guy that could run the defense I wondered about him first, and of course Ed and Ray Ray...

I'm always surprised at how many former players have gone into coaching....

Ed Reed would be an amazing addition.

I don't think that casual fans realize how intelligent these HOF level players really are. Hearing them talk about the game on NFL Network or Sirius is really enlightening.

Plus Ed Reed obviously knows the scheme and would command respect from our players.

I think it could not hurt. And, could have a very high ceiling!

Great players rarely make for great coaches. That said, I love Reed and would gladly welcome him.

I remember reading how it used to drive Magic Johnson and Larry Bird insane when they (irrationally) couldn't understand why their players they were coaching couldn't think fast enough to make the right decisions. Magic quit pretty early on. Bird was a pretty good coach but it was very hard for him to deal with players not as good as him.

I remember reading how it used to drive Magic Johnson and Larry Bird insane when they (irrationally) couldn't understand why their players they were coaching couldn't think fast enough to make the right decisions. Magic quit pretty early on. Bird was a pretty good coach but it was very hard for him to deal with players not as good as him.

Yup. It's probably why most of the best coaches have average at best playing careers.

Ed Reed would be a terrific addition to this team. The leadership, from the winner that he is, would be perfect! Dude is smart and tough. Something this team lacks.

Amen to that. Bring in more people that know how to win.