Big Changes to Defense for 2016

He trying to say he tried to run a hybrid of a 4-3 and 3-4 and that's why the defense was bad so now he's just sticking with a 3-4 even though we don't have the personnel for it.

This.

And he also may mean they gut the DL by cutting Mario and Kyle Williams so that they can pay Incognito and Glenn. So he'll "Do More with Less" and other stupid business mottos.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those who suggest it means the end of Kyle. I can see him putting pressure on Whaley to get him a true NT in FA despite Doug telling us we can all go on holiday for a week. Cutting Mario and Kyle might give them enough cash for an older FA vet for a couple of years.

Blah blah blah blah blah fat ass bro blah blah blah

He was all talk and promises with the NY Jets too.

Sadly, all I see in the future is him and his brother taking years to build a mediocre defense that will still have discipline, penalty issues even if he starts calling more blitzes.

This reminds me so much of the 2010 season with George Edwards as DC, and the shifting from Jauron's 4-3 to a 3-4 and when that didn't work he went back to a 4-3 for 2011 and that didn't work either. This with a defense that had nine of 11 starters as either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick, so it wasn't the players!

Then Dave Wannstedt gave it a shot with his simplistic 4-3 with very little blitzing and opposing teams still had their way making that defense look so bad.

Mike Pettine took over in 2013 and ran a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 that worked to an extent in bringing the Bills notoriety in being the #2 defense in the NFL in sacks.

Finally, it took a modern 4-3 master in DC Jim Schwartz to bring a real top defense to Buffalo with a 4-3 that didn't blitz very much but was able to lead the NFL in sacks.

This year with a defense loaded with as much talent as any team in the NFL on defense the 2015 Buffalo Bills defense regressed so badly in a 3-4 with 4-3 players it was actually worse than any Bills defense in sacks that I can remember. the Bills only had 21 sacks all season.

Now the Bills will attempt to retool the defense to fit Ryan's 3-4 and then probably end up firing him after the 2016 season. Will the stupidity ever end with the constant drafting, re-drafting of defensive players to fit the current defensive coordinators scheme?

I agree with those who suggest it means the end of Kyle. I can see him putting pressure on Whaley to get him a true NT in FA despite Doug telling us we can all go on holiday for a week. Cutting Mario and Kyle might give them enough cash for an older FA vet for a couple of years.

It's not only Kyle Williams as DT Marcell Dareus isn't a fit in Ryan's 3-4 either. I'm sure he won't be happy in 2016 in being used as a space eating gap control player like he was last season.

It really is sad that this supposed defensive genius only knows how to run his 3/4 scheme

He trying to say he tried to run a hybrid of a 4-3 and 3-4 and that's why the defense was bad so now he's just sticking with a 3-4 even though we don't have the personnel for it.

Exactly so another defensive rebuild starts in Buffalo :doh: .

Why are we cutting KW again? I guess he's old - but the cap savings don't justify it. We then need to fill that spot with someone who probably costs what we just saved.

And Dareus is actually supposed to be a 3-4 end. And KW is a penetrating nose tackle who causes pressure up the middle, you just need a mike who can actually tackle and a will who can cover. KW can also play end if we were to line up a big heavy in the middle, which i think they'd like to do.

One year removed from a pro bowl and people want to get rid of him because he hurt his leg...

Edited by dneveu

Donnie Henderson is leaving. There's a big change. Not a good one.

I don't even think we hire a replacement. We basically just hired a 2nd d-coordinator.

I also don't hate rob ryan as much as everyone else. The guys legit had some of the least talented units in football for the past 10 years. Bad year last year. They also had 1 guy to rush the passer, a safety who eats a ton of cap and doesn't want to play, and a corner they vastly overpaid for who's just not good. Their GM has always been solid in the draft, but his free agent signings are a mess and they missed junior galette.

Before that - Dallas. Year 1 - Sean lee in the middle, 2 solid pass rushers, pretty solid D. Year 2 - no sean lee/spencer, new prized corner (Claiborne - who turned out to be a bust), and they sucked.

I don't remember those mangini cleveland teams, and knowing who was in charge in Oakland i don't think we need to look back to see that they all probably sucked.

He also could totally flame out, i have no clue. But if it makes Rex a better coach, and we ARE stuck with rex. Bring him on.

Why are we cutting KW again? I guess he's old - but the cap savings don't justify it. We then need to fill that spot with someone who probably costs what we just saved.

And Dareus is actually supposed to be a 3-4 end. And KW is a penetrating nose tackle who causes pressure up the middle, you just need a mike who can actually tackle and a will who can cover. KW can also play end if we were to line up a big heavy in the middle, which i think they'd like to do.

One year removed from a pro bowl and people want to get rid of him because he hurt his leg...

the word has been that they plan to keep KW. But, folks here are speculating he isn't a good fit for Rex DL.

I would hate to see him go.

Anyone know if Corbin Bryant is a good fit?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Better than rooting for a Canadian team eh?

Again, dude is not going to change. When/if he starts winning and taking us to the playoffs, most are going to love his loud mouth.

You are right his mouth won't change. If he takes us to the playoffs I still don't like it.

The most recent mouth running that drove me nuts was when he said Dennis Thurman was a great DC and in the near future he would make a great HC. We all probably thought no, including me. Two weeks later he demotes Thurman from DC. Just say nothing instead of empty crap Rex!

Really a shame that Kyle appears to be on his way out. His attitude and leadership will be missed. I'm not a deep x's and o's guy so I guess I'll take it at face value that Kyle doesn't fit Rex's D.

Kyle ain't going anywhere, book it!!!

Exactly so another defensive rebuild starts in Buffalo :doh: .

tell me about it :wallbash:

I feel like Kyle could be rotated in at nose or DE (in a pinch) on 3rd down and obvious passing situations. He's proven to be a versitile player in about 4 different schemes.

His price tag as a rotational player might be too high, but to say he cant play in a 3-4 isnt correct. He isnt prototypical for a 3-4, but Im sure he'd love to prove everyone wrong one more time before he calls it quits.

I feel like Kyle could be rotated in at nose or DE (in a pinch) on 3rd down and obvious passing situations. He's proven to be a versitile player in about 4 different schemes.

His price tag as a rotational player might be too high, but to say he cant play in a 3-4 isnt correct. He isnt prototypical for a 3-4, but Im sure he'd love to prove everyone wrong one more time before he calls it quits.

i wonder if he would take a pay cut it came to that. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't though.

He was all talk and promises with the NY Jets too.

I totally get the frustration and distrust of Rex. But his defenses were generally very good with NYJ. Our offense is already better than anything he had with the Jets and should still improve. If we can put our solid offense together with one of Rex's solid defenses we should easily be a playoff team next year, right?

Or am I just fooling myself into optimism? That's possible too.

I totally get the frustration and distrust of Rex. But his defenses were generally very good with NYJ. Our offense is already better than anything he had with the Jets and should still improve. If we can put our solid offense together with one of Rex's solid defenses we should easily be a playoff team next year, right?

Or am I just fooling myself into optimism? That's possible too.

Understandable. We've had lots of practice at this..