Big Changes to Defense for 2016

I totally get the frustration and distrust of Rex. But his defenses were generally very good with NYJ. Our offense is already better than anything he had with the Jets and should still improve. If we can put our solid offense together with one of Rex's solid defenses we should easily be a playoff team next year, right?

Or am I just fooling myself into optimism? That's possible too.

There are lots of people around here who don't want to believe this is possible, but in my opinion it's more likely than Rex self-destructing and the Pegulas blowing everything up again. There are many more positives surrounding Rex in Buffalo than there were in NJ.

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic. You're a fan.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex says...

"We’re going to do things much differently next year, and we’re going to be better because of it. In a way, I tried to merge a couple of things, you know, two systems and things like that. And quite honestly, it didn’t work, so we’re going to be all in, we’re going to play Buffalo Bill defense, and we’re not going to be fun to play."

What does Rex exactly mean and what are the ramifications?

"Shut up, Rex"tm

I really don't want to hear it. Nix said it "The Baby is Winning. Don't tell me about the labor pains, Show Me the Baby."

Agreed that Kyle has no place in a true 30 front.

Bad fit for a great player

I'm fine with a guy like Knighton or Mebane at nose as well.

Not to rain on the parade here, but didn't Kyle Williams go to the Pro Bowl for the first time in 2010 playing NT in George Edward's 3-4? 2011 was a year he was hurt.

Brian Galliford of Buffalo Rumblings had a great article around that time on how that actually worked but I can't find it. Of course, the Bills went 4-12 that year and their D was not good, but it speaks volumes that Williams went to the probowl from a team and a D that bad. It's much harder to be recognized from a bad team than from a winner.

Agree Kyle Williams is not a DE. Also caveat that while apparently he can be successful as a NT used in the right way, I lack faith in Rex to use players in a way that exploits their unique strengths.

Spin it however you like, but your premise is sound. If Rex says it into a microphone, there's even probability he's lying.

I think you're unfair to Rex here, or perhaps misusing the word "lying" according to its most common definition, which is to "utter untruth knowingly" or to "knowingly speak falsely".

Rex honestly believes he is a defensive genius and a great football coach, not the mediocre football coach "you are what your record says you are" projects. Rex honestly believed every word he said in the press before the 2015 season, and he honestly believes every word he says now. He is not uttering untruth knowingly or knowingly speaking falsely.

It's what makes him so believable, such a great salesman. He believes every word he says, so he delivers it with the "ring of sincerity"

No, Rex isn't lying. The question is whether he has the capability and flexibility to deliver on what he believes, and speaks. My perception is "No" but I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by Hopeful

I lack faith in Rex to use players in a way that exploits their unique strengths.

Other than a mercurial DE in 2015, when else hasn't Rex been able to maximize a defensive player's ability?

Rex has made a career of BS'ing his way along. Win or Lose, there's a certain entertainment value around the league, just watching him. Love him, or hate him, he can be an attention getter. Now we have lil' Rex standing next to him, so let the circus begin.

Since the Pegula's seem to be behind him, we had better hope he's finally right, or that everyone else is so wrong that we make the playoffs despite them.

? Dareus, Kyle Williams, Bradham and Brown all much lower productivity than last year ?

And all of that is intertwined in the failed transition, doubled down by Mario quitting and Kyle's injury. Never mind that you're using the worst defense of Rex's coaching career to project the future.

In Rex's career, he's had far more players who've exceeded expectations than players who played below expectations.

I think you're unfair to Rex here, or perhaps misusing the word "lying" according to its most common definition, which is to "utter untruth knowingly" or to "knowingly speak falsely".

Rex honestly believes he is a defensive genius and a great football coach, not the mediocre football coach "you are what your record says you are" projects. Rex honestly believed every word he said in the press before the 2015 season, and he honestly believes every word he says now. He is not uttering untruth knowingly or knowingly speaking falsely.

It's what makes him so believable, such a great salesman. He believes every word he says, so he delivers it with the "ring of sincerity"

No, Rex isn't lying. The question is whether he has the capability and flexibility to deliver on what he believes, and speaks. My perception is "No" but I'd love to be wrong.

I'm perfectly aware what "lying" is. And I remain certain that Rex isn't going to handle any of his business with a microphone in his face. He's only going to use those public opportunities to praise his guys. And yes, sometimes I think he's being disingenuous with that praise. Sometimes I think he says things to the media which are likely contradictory to how he's handling business privately. That would make some of those things he says to the media, even by your definition, "lies."

? Dareus, Kyle Williams, Bradham and Brown all much lower productivity than last year ?

One was injured, two were severely missing Spikes' presence.

I'm sorry, but Bradham may be the most overrated Bill of the 21st Century, or at least has been since Rex supposedly "ruined" him.

I'm still waiting to see what Rob Ryan's role will be but I'm expecting he will be kind of the de facto DC, running Rex's D, and pushing Thurman to more of a position coach (DBs).

Rob's track record as a DC isn't good. But here's what Phil Simms had to say about Rob getting fired from NO...

“You know once they fired Rob Ryan, the defense didn’t get any better. When you’ve got a horse that is slow, it ain’t going to win the Kentucky Derby. I don’t know what anybody expected from the New Orleans Saints. I did a game of theirs. I remember looking at their roster and going, ‘ok, it is right where it should be on the defensive side.'”

He also said,

"Rob makes Rex look like he is introverted so it is going to be interesting. Knowledge, communication with the players and energy, all that is going to help. I think it is a really good hire.”

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/12/cbs-simms-rexs-hiring-of-rob-is-a-positive-development-for-bills/

Why do you say that?

I don't have a reason to believe one way or the other........seemed he was playing more 4 man DL late and had talked about wanting to use more 4-3 but couldn't because of the loss of Kyle Williams.

He's full of excuses. He should just say he screwed up and knows it. Hell, we know it. It wasn't the injuries. I was hoping for a sense of humility, but he still sounds like an arrogant blowhard who doesn't realize he acts like a clown.

Notable things Rex did upon being hired by the Bills:

jumped out of a plane,bought a truck and customized it,ate a dog biscuit, promises the playoffs.

Notable things he didn't do:

Take us to the playoffs,build a bully d, adapt to our players,bring in a competent d staff, and finally...admit this failure on d was on him. Still a blowhard who lacks humility.

This is exactly right!

No offense to the homers but this defending of the 2015 defense is really killing the credibility factor of being able to look at anything Buffalo Bills objectively. Rex Ryan basically killed, not one lone DE, but all three pro bowlers on that line, and he did it to Kyle before he was injured.

What is so difficult about the concept in understanding that there is an enormous difference in asking a player to pass rush to being a gap controlling space eater. Marcell Dareus was complaining about how he was being asked to play his role in Ryan's scheme from training camp. All year long after every bad game Rex Ryan would say he is looking at the problem and will work on correcting it. He never did partially or fully correct the issue.

The main problem remains is that the current Bills defensive front seven was built in 2014 to be a very special pass rushing unit and is was very highly successful being the #4 defense overall, and the #1 unit in the NFL in sacks. This was a great achievement for this franchise to be that highly rated! Opposing teams hated playing the Bill because they would terrorize their QB with hits, hurries, sacks.

This year under Rex Ryan was totally different as he continuously tried to run his lame 3-4 he didn't have the linebackers to run it properly. He didn't have a Bart Scott, a Ray Lewis, a Terrell Suggs and instead and four superstar defensive linemen that he castrated by now allowing them to do what they were paid top dollar to do.

Neither Kyle Williams or Marcell Dareus are nose tackles or defensive ends so they don't fit in a 3-4 and won't ever play up to their potential as hell on wheels pass rushers because Ryan is asking them to play gap control and drop into pass coverage. The simple facts are that Ryan will need to retool the Bills defense to fit his 3-4 scheme. He needs a DE on the other side of Jerry Hughes and two or three linebackers. Might as well trade both Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus away for picks or players to fit that 3-4*.

To me, it's doubtful the 2016 Buffalo Bills will ever see a #1 sacking defense again or even a top #4 defense under Ryan as he just doesn't have the player talent to fit his scheme and teams have found ways to combat his blitzing over the years he was with the Jets. Probably why his 2009 Jets D blitzed 50% to 53% in 2010. Then a few years later to 35% and now less than 10% blitzing this year.

I was really hoping that with new ownership all this moronic changing of defensive schemes and then finding new players to fit the new schemes would stop after Jauron with his 4-3 Tampa Two to George Edwards and his 3-4 then back to 4-3. Mike Pettine running a hybrid 3-4 to Schwartz running a 4-3 and now back to a 3-4. It wasn't broken under Jim Schwartz and now it is under Ryan.

Edited by Nihilarian

I'm perfectly aware what "lying" is.

One was injured, two were severely missing Spikes' presence.

I'm sorry, but Bradham may be the most overrated Bill of the 21st Century, or at least has been since Rex supposedly "ruined" him.

Then do you really believe what you posted " If Rex says it into a microphone, there's even probability he's lying.?"

'Cuz I think that's not square. And I don't agree. What he says may not coincide with reality, but it's not because he's lying.

Kyle Williams wasn't injured until during the game Week 6. By that time, it was clear through 5 1/2 games (1/3 of the season) that Dareus and Kyle were not playing as effectively as last year. I suppose you'll tell me you know that 5 1/2 games is 1/3 of the season, so why put up "injury" as an excuse for poor D when a guy was there 1/3 of the way and the DL (not just one disaffected DE) still sucked vs last year during that time?

I think we missed Spikes more than is generally thought (and more than I thought we would). But the fact is, he only played 46% of the snaps last year, and our LB sucked on more than 46% of the snaps this year.

Edited by Hopeful

And all of that is intertwined in the failed transition, doubled down by Mario quitting and Kyle's injury. Never mind that you're using the worst defense of Rex's coaching career to project the future.

In Rex's career, he's had far more players who've exceeded expectations than players who played below expectations.

Dude, you asked me "Other than a mercurial DE in 2015, when else hasn't Rex been able to maximize a defensive player's ability?"

I answered. Ain't projecting nothing,

And by any metric, 2015 with the Bills not the "worst defense of Rex's coaching career". That would be 2007 with the Ravens as DC. Anyone have insight on why, like to hear. By PPG metric, worst year 2014 with the Jets, with the 3 preceeding years almost as bad. Bills only 15th (ppg) or 19th (ypg) this year, maybe 6th or 2nd worst year (choose your metric).

Really a shame that Kyle appears to be on his way out. His attitude and leadership will be missed. I'm not a deep x's and o's guy so I guess I'll take it at face value that Kyle doesn't fit Rex's D.

I don't think that at all. Kyle hardly played this season due to injury. With him gone, the Bills were forced to run more 3-4 with Dareus at nose. The defense was supposed to be multiple. Some 3-4, some 4-3 and variations of both. Kyle was a key piece and we missed him this year. Not having him, made our defense much more predictable.

That doesn't mean Kyle won't be gone next year though. He isn't getting any younger and I see him much the way I saw Fed Jackson....a great player who is on the down hill side of his career. The Bills may try to find his replacement because of that. This team obviously is productive in a base 4-3 so overhauling now and trying to go 3-4 could be a mistake. We don't want to do away with 4-3 or 3-4. We want to run both.

I don't think that at all. Kyle hardly played this season due to injury. With him gone, the Bills were forced to run more 3-4 with Dareus at nose. The defense was supposed to be multiple. Some 3-4, some 4-3 and variations of both. Kyle was a key piece and we missed him this year. Not having him, made our defense much more predictable.

That doesn't mean Kyle won't be gone next year though. He isn't getting any younger and I see him much the way I saw Fed Jackson....a great player who is on the down hill side of his career. The Bills may try to find his replacement because of that. This team obviously is productive in a base 4-3 so overhauling now and trying to go 3-4 could be a mistake. We don't want to do away with 4-3 or 3-4. We want to run both.

i think Kyle>>>Fred in terms of how good they are at their positions. Kyle is consistently rated "elite" by PFF and is a pro bowler. Fred was a good player for the Bills but never elite and was replaceable on the field (if not in the locker room). Therefore I don't expect the Bills to cut him like they did Fred, unless it is for money reasons only. Edited by YoloinOhio

Dude, you asked me "Other than a mercurial DE in 2015, when else hasn't Rex been able to maximize a defensive player's ability?"

I answered. Ain't projecting nothing,

And by any metric, 2015 with the Bills not the "worst defense of Rex's coaching career". That would be 2007 with the Ravens as DC. Anyone have insight on why, like to hear. By PPG metric, worst year 2014 with the Jets, with the 3 preceeding years almost as bad. Bills only 15th (ppg) or 19th (ypg) this year, maybe 6th or 2nd worst year (choose your metric).

You were totally projecting, as that was the original post that I responded to. You are using an outlier year in Rex's career to base an observation that Rex can't put his defensive players in a position to succeed.

And as time goes on, we're gleaning into more information on why the defense underperformed.

Edited by GG