Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

So our Vic suspicions appear valid.

It's a ludicrous ultimatum anyways.

The goal isn't to 'make the playoffs.' And, quite frankly, I cringe every time some one in the organization says it.

The goal is to win championships.

So, if Vic's report is to be believed, they grab a wildcard in 2016, lose in the first round, but everyone goes home happy? Doesn't matter what happens in 2017?

The problem with a hard "win a championship" ultimatum is that so much of what needs to happen is out of the team's control.

Of course, the problem with this reported ultimatum is tangentially related: how do you measure "turn this around?" It's a good ultimatum, holding them accountable,. But it's not exactly a concrete goal, nor something that is easily adjusted in the case of, say, eight defensive starters going on IR.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

Your response shows a point missing in the comments throughout this thread - as it stands right now the Bills are over the estimated cap in 2016 so they have very little breathing room to do anything wild. Changes will happen with the most likely being the frequently discussed release of Mario Wiiliams.

Cap data here : http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

As I said earlier, the cap situation is going to make it imperative that the Bills draft very well and trim the roster smartly if they hope to make the playoffs next year. They do not have the financial flexibility to solve the issues through free agency at least through a "big time" free agent addition.

The problem with a hard "win a championship" ultimatum is that so much of what needs to happen is out of the team's control.

Of course, the problem with this reported ultimatum is tangentially related: how do you measure "turn this around?" It's a good ultimatum, holding them accountable,. But it's not exactly a concrete goal, nor something that is easily adjusted in the case of, say, eight defensive starters going on IR.

yes.

so if the AFC East is awful and they get in at 7-9 everyone is safe? But 10-6 but miss the playoffs they clean house?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeexactly.

"Fix it."

"Okay."

"Or else."

"Okay?"

I think the Pegulas are far less mercurial than Jimmy Irsay. That's the big difference.

if the owner doesn't convey the message that getting Rex the right players for his D is priority number 1, and allows Doug and Rex to entertain thoughts of improving the O over improving the D - we're in for another frustrating season. he doesn't have to be nuts.. just make it a clear priority that he wants nothing left to chance - as it was this year - with players who either couldn't or wouldn't play it consistently.

I wonder if this is the same source who supposedly said that Rex and DW do not get along.

I am going to reserve judgment for the time being as to whether this is accurate.

I also do not want DW to feel like he needs to overpay to make trades.

I'm not buying this. This year was a very big Bills year in the sense that we finished .500, didn't win the big games, and were done with three weeks left.

Now, I can see the pegulas saying they want to see a significant change in culture. Penalties down, improved defense. In it until the end. Basically, the performance that this roster is capable of.

If we miss the playoffs, but show up on Sunday's and finish 10-6, 11-5, I think all is well.

But no way do I believe they were told playoffs or bust.

I wonder if this is the same source who supposedly said that Rex and DW do not get along.

I am going to reserve judgment for the time being as to whether this is accurate.

I also do not want DW to feel like he needs to overpay to make trades.

There is a source at OBD feeding info to Vic who clearly wants to make Whaley look bad. It has been happening all year.

@JeremyWGR

Doug Whaley is likely to be extended soon. Be hard to believe they extend him and then toss him an ultimatum.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Jeremy White

I have been consistently told Whaley is "here for the long haul" and agree with this completely.

Sooooo, here's a four year extension worth millions...but if you !@#$ up next year, I'm sending you packing?? Nice work Buffalo news.

I think the validity of the report, for me, comes down to the ultimatum. So they reach the playoffs next year, then what? Does Terry give them an ultimatum again? Or just let them go back to doing what they were doing before? Because giving an ultimatum like that, would change the philosophy of how the team is built, in my mind.

So then why tell them at all? They both probably know that they need to get it right. I'm sure Whaley has known that since he has taken over. It's a results business.

There is a source at OBD feeding info to Vic who clearly wants to make Whaley look bad. It has been happening all year.

I think it's Sully acting as "Deep Throat".

I think the validity of the report, for me, comes down to the ultimatum. So they reach the playoffs next year, then what? Does Terry give them an ultimatum again? Or just let them go back to doing what they were doing before? Because giving an ultimatum like that, would change the philosophy of how the team is built, in my mind.

So then why tell them at all? They both probably know that they need to get it right. I'm sure Whaley has known that since he has taken over. It's a results business.

Could it be the ultimatum was only given to Rex, but Whaley was in the room? And told they would need to support each other/work together in order to fix things? And the source got it half right. Just a thought.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm confused:

Source: Terry Pegula gives Whaley, Ryan 1 year to fix Bills

But he has Rex with 4 more years on a contract and supposedly is giving Whaley a multi year extension?

For starters - that doesn't sound like Pegula. He is patient and the Bills are showing progress.

• A lot of injuries in 2015.
  • We didn't know who the QB was until September.
  • A lot of new guys and new schemes for everyone.

Taking it all into consideration, maybe 8-8 wasn't so bad.

Continuity breeds winning. We clearly haven't learned this (see the last 15 years!!).

Keeping/promoting Brandon, signing Doug to 3-4 more years and signing Rex to a 5 year deal (last year) shows Pegula's patience and belief that he needs to establish continuity in the organization.

I'm confused:

Source: Terry Pegula gives Whaley, Ryan 1 year to fix Bills

But he has Rex with 4 more years on a contract and supposedly is giving Whaley a multi year extension?

For starters - that doesn't sound like Pegula. He is patient and the Bills are showing progress.

• A lot of injuries in 2015.
  • We didn't know who the QB was until September.
  • A lot of new guys and new schemes for everyone.

Taking it all into consideration, maybe 8-8 wasn't so bad.

Continuity breeds winning. We clearly haven't learned this (see the last 15 years!!).

Keeping/promoting Brandon, signing Doug to 3-4 more years and signing Rex to a 5 year deal (last year) shows Pegula's patience and belief that he needs to establish continuity in the organization.

:beer:

Could it be the ultimatum was only given to Rex, but Whaley was in the room? And told they would need to support each other/work together in order to fix things? And the source got it half right. Just a thought.

Could be that. Or Vic's source, as another poster suggested, threw Whaleys name in there as well, because he doesn't like him.

In any case, it might be time for Vic to take comments from his source inside OBD with a giant grain of salt.

Could be that. Or Vic's source, as another poster suggested, threw Whaleys name in there as well, because he doesn't like him.

In any case, it might be time for Vic to take comments from his source inside OBD with a giant grain of salt.

If anything, he must be fuming that the timing of his story was so close to the report of the extension. Just a bad look, and he can blame the source if he wants. Or that he needs to do more vetting before posting stuff.