Robert Woods

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, Wrex will deliver!

I guess we can talk about this at the end of the season (or maybe even earlier). I really doubt the offense or defense will make any big leaps.

I expect they will both improve a bit, but I believe adding a better WR would be the position that would improve the offense and help Tyrod most (and allow them to be less dependent on the oft injured Watkins).

This Woods ball washing will look silly by season's end. He is Just a Guy, and they will regret not bringing in someone better. Maybe the next draft....

Who would you suggest be brought in?

guys

I am more then willing to discuss options to improve our WR's....but at least give a player to discuss.....a realistic player

Bolden? Maybe?

Who would you suggest be brought in?

guys

I am more then willing to discuss options to improve our WR's....but at least give a player to discuss.....a realistic player

Bolden? Maybe?

You, and others here, are trying to convince people that this offense is fine with Woods as the #2.

I'm not sure who could be brought in, but I hope they are making it a priority. It might be worth making a trade, if necessary. As has been discussed, they have to evaluate Tyrod this season, and he should be given as much help as possible.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The offense very well could be fine with Woods as the #2 WR. It could be great with a better #2 WR. But it will mostly depend on TT.

#2 WR was the #1 need of this team going into the offseason.

NT was the #2 need.........thereby freeing up Dareus for more pass rush/TFL opps.

They effectively addressed neither.

Yes it could all work out fine with Woods and Goodwin or Hands-free Hank or Listenbee could step up........they have athletic ability that COULD translate into impact if they start doing things consistently that they've shown small flashes of being able to do.........but this is the problem with having a WR depth chart where there is a great player at the top and little else.........that great player gives a false sense of security that the unit is adequate.

Even if Sammy stays healthy the simple fact is that the offense was DYNAMIC when Watkins and Harvin were both at Tyrod's disposal............and it was at best inconsistent without both.

That should have been the tell-tale sign that addressing the situation could yield a greater return than worrying about replacing a 4 sack DL/OLB or getting a Preston Brown-clone to play next to Preston Brown or more succinctly just not doing much of anything to improve the roster.

NT was the #2 need.........thereby freeing up Dareus for more pass rush/TFL opps.

Yes it could all work out fine with Woods and Goodwin or Hands-free Hank or Listenbee could step up........they have athletic ability that COULD translate into impact if they start doing things consistently that they've shown small flashes of being able to do.........but this is the problem with having a WR depth chart where there is a great player at the top and little else.........that great player gives a false sense of security that the unit is adequate.

Even if Sammy stays healthy the simple fact is that the offense was DYNAMIC when Watkins and Harvin were both at Tyrod's disposal............and it was at best inconsistent without both.

That should have been the tell-tale sign that addressing the situation could yield a greater return than worrying about replacing a 4 sack DL/OLB or getting a Preston Brown-clone to play next to Preston Brown or more succinctly just not doing much of anything to improve the roster.

According to the time table we have been fed for Sammy's surgery he had it done before the draft. If indeed it was to repair a Jones Fracture this will be a bad look if Watkins is unable to come back healthy for week 1. As defined above we already had a glaring need at WR before the injury. Sure those statements include a few "ifs" and we haven't received much clarity from the front office on the injury yet. For anyone that's done a little research the time tables for the estimated recovery and the timing of the surgery certainly trend toward a Jones. Your #2 wideout Robert is Woods, a good blocking receiver who magically gets smaller as he goes down the field. Does he fit well with TT and the deep ball? When he hits FA next year will he want to come back to Buffalo?

How about not trading up for a thumper and take a WR to round out things on offense. It blows my mind that they knew Watkins was hurt again and settled for a 6th round flyer on another burner. Pro-ready wideouts were on the board in the 2nd round and we could have kept our 4th round pick. I hated the Ragland pick when it was made and wasn't going to rehash it but RR and Whaley running around trying to tell everyone they got two first rounders is a joke. Smartest guy in the room syndrome strikes again, they fooled the league!!! Or they ignored obvious holes in the 2nd round and instead of addressing them or getting a LB that compliments Shaq we decided to get bigger and slower on defense. Sure that's what we needed last year bigger and slower.

Taylor says Woods came back explosive from the off season on BB.com. I also am in the party that thinks Woods is definitely a good #2 WR. He is not just another guy. That's just crazy talk.

Dude played all season last year with a groin injury. Couldn't go full speed but still contributed in a big way as a blocking WR. This guy when healthy is also a great receiver. Maybe not a #1 but he is not far from it.

I love how people assume a WR is no good just because they aren't putting up big numbers. Keep in mind that our offense does not rely as heavily on the passing attack as other teams. And with Sammy in there, of course he is going to be the go to receiver. Woods will get more opportunities with a healthier body and I am sure he will take advantage. This is one tough SOB and people should be glad to have him on our team.

Taylor says Woods came back explosive from the off season on BB.com. I also am in the party that thinks Woods is definitely a good #2 WR. He is not just another guy. That's just crazy talk.

Dude played all season last year with a groin injury. Couldn't go full speed but still contributed in a big way as a blocking WR. This guy when healthy is also a great receiver. Maybe not a #1 but he is not far from it.

I love how people assume a WR is no good just because they aren't putting up big numbers. Keep in mind that our offense does not rely as heavily on the passing attack as other teams. And with Sammy in there, of course he is going to be the go to receiver. Woods will get more opportunities with a healthier body and I am sure he will take advantage. This is one tough SOB and people should be glad to have him on our team.

Does he scare defensive coordinators? That's kind of the test for me. He will NEVER be a #1 because he's just too limited. He's a borderline #2 as a possession guy. The Bills need Listenbee or Goodwin to be able to make plays down the field to keep guys from putting all of their attention on Sammy. Woods doesn't command more than a guy and he doesn't beat that guy for big plays. He's a decent role player but certainly could be upgraded as a #2.

Sammy and Harvin only played together for 3 games last season. And that was the healthiest the offense was last season. I don't think you can glean a lot from those 3 games.

The offense very well could be fine with Woods as the #2 WR. It could be great with a better #2 WR. But it will mostly depend on TT.

I want them to be as good as possible.

They probably will be "fine", as in "good enough to win 10 games, and lose a Wild Card game" (at best, and only if Watkins doesn't miss significant time and the defense improves).

But I think better another good WR could pull the offense up a couple notches (and possibly save the season, if Watkins misses time).

Like you said, it really comes down to Tyrod, but he should be given the best tools. I think concentrating on defense in the draft was a mistake, because of the situation with Tyrod. Instead, Wrex was given priority (and they blew it with Lawson, short term at least).

The thing is, when guys have crap season's, it's common for them to say things like "well, I'm not making excuses, but I had a nagging injury to my xxxxx. But if I'm out there, I gotta be a professional." I think every team has a guy saying this in the offseason. It's hard to know what was really going on. He looked healthy enough to me, he just didn't perform very well.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Good stuff, thanks for clarifying all that. I wasn't trying to be a pain in the ass, I browsed around most of the stuff I found was general results and not directly towards athletes. It is alarming that high profile athletes have had problems, hopefully Sammy avoids that.

No problem and no worries, if Sammy had the surgery a month ago he should be fully healed by July or August at the latest it looks like with no need to rush him back, he should be ready to roll for camp and I would think the re-injury issues will be decreased.

It's hard to know what was really going on. He looked healthy enough to me, he just didn't perform very well.

:lol: :lol:

Don't listen to doctors, reporters, or the team. Go by HoF Watkins' eyeball test. If he says a guy looks healthy he MUST be healthy. And if he looks injured, he must need spleen surgery.

Sammy and Harvin only played together for 3 games last season. And that was the healthiest the offense was last season. I don't think you can glean a lot from those 3 games.

Huh?

True, but after Sammy and Woods do we have that's better than the player Boldin now is?

Outside of Sammy and Robert we got a lot of guys with potential which means they haven't done anything yet.

Most of them don't even have that.

The thing is, when guys have crap season's, it's common for them to say things like "well, I'm not making excuses, but I had a nagging injury to my xxxxx. But if I'm out there, I gotta be a professional." I think every team has a guy saying this in the offseason. It's hard to know what was really going on. He looked healthy enough to me, he just didn't perform very well.

Say things? Seriously? Show me the quote. The guy went out and played a completely different role in the offense than what he was used to and did quite well....even hurt. Ever have a groin injury while still playing? It ain't much fun, but he did it. His role was not to be the pass catching, 1200yd/yr receiver last year, but because he wasn't, let's all throw him under the bus.

And as for whether defensive coordinators are scared, maybe not until Wood lays out a defender to break free a team mate so he can score. That gets their attention in a hurry.

I still stand by my assessment that Wood is more valuable than most #2 receivers. The very fact that he is out there blocking actually increases his value, but because he hasn't put up Sammy Watkins like numbers that automatically makes him a scrub or something.

Mybe I should chip in in the "Nattering Nabobs" thread :lol: