Robert Woods

I'll go on record saying Woods ceiling is Hines Ward.

I'll go on record as saying I'd like some of what you are smoking. Hines Ward caught 1000 balls!!! He had a 9 year stretch (even missing some games) where he averaged 86 catches a year. I'm not sure why we think that a guy that has averaged 51 catches a year will do that?

Woods is a tough guy and a good blocker. Hines is one of the greatest blocking wide receivers ever. He toed the line of dirty but I loved the way that he played. Woods is a decent role player but I don't ever see him as a borderline hall of famer. Honestly, I like Woods but these type of comparisons are when I feel a need to provide some perspective.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go on record as saying I'd like some of what you are smoking. Hines Ward caught 1000 balls!!! He had a 9 year stretch (even missing some games) where he averaged 86 catches a year. I'm not sure why we think that a guy that has averaged 51 catches a year will do that?

Woods is a tough guy and a good blocker. Hines is one of the greatest blocking wide receivers ever. He toed the line of dirty but I loved the way that he played. Woods is a decent role player but I don't ever see him as a borderline hall of famer. Honestly, I like Woods but these type of comparisons are when I feel a need to provide some perspective.

not to speak for Tasker, I think saying he has that kind of ceiling is not the same as saying the same caliber player. He's obviously not on the same career arc but I think he can have a few productive years to maybe Wards level. It's not likely. Doesn't mean he can't remind people of Ward in his play style.

not to speak for Tasker, I think saying he has that kind of ceiling is not the same as saying the same caliber player. He's obviously not on the same career arc but I think he can have a few productive years to maybe Wards level. It's not likely. Doesn't mean he can't remind people of Ward in his play style.

Playing a similar style to Hines and Hines as "his ceiling" are two different things. That's what I was taking issue with. Stylistically he reminds me of Hines Ward as well. There is no reason though to believe that he will produce at, or near that level.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Playing a similar style to Hines and Hines as "his ceiling" are two different things. That's what I was taking issue with. Stylistically he reminds me of Hines Ward as well. There is no reason though to believe that he will produce at, or near that level.

I'm not saying he'll have the same sort of career Ward had. What I'm saying is that he has the same skill set, and I believe has the potential to have a few years with Hines Ward type production while he's in his prime.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Can we possibly stop comparing the overall production of Robert Woods and Hines Ward (who is possibly one of the best WR's the steelers have ever had)

Woods is not as good as Hines Ward as far as overall productivity

They are the same TYPE of player.....in that they are slot recievers and are willing blockers

I'm not saying he'll have the same sort of career Ward had. What I'm saying is that he has the same skill set, and I believe has the potential to have a few years with Hines Ward type production while he's in his prime.

I suppose that he can have a year like Ward in 2010, 59 for 755 and 5. Keep in mind that season may not be in the top 10 of Ward's career. Ward's best season was 112 for 1329 and 12 TDs. The average season in that 9 year stretch for Hines was 86 catches 1044 yards and 7.5 TDs (and he missed some games or those numbers would be higher). I don't see Woods coming anywhere close to an average Ward season.

Orton had him looking good and reliable for a short while. I'm still giving him a chance.

Just to be clear, I can see him catching 60 balls for 750 yards and 5 TDs (or something like that). Those numbers would have him at 50th in catches and 48th in receiving yards. That would be a good year for him; Woods can be a productive role player. A good comp at those numbers would be Donte Moncrief. His ceiling though is probably an average #2 WR. At the moment he is a borderline #2, so there is some room to grow.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just to be clear, I can see him catching 60 balls for 750 yards and 5 TDs (or something like that). Those numbers would have him at 50th in catches and 48th in receiving yards. That would be a good year for him; Woods can be a productive role player. A good comp at those numbers would be Donte Moncrief. His ceiling though is probably an average #2 WR. At the moment he is a borderline #2, so there is some room to grow.

I can see him having a 2-3 season run of 80 or so catches, 1000 or so yards, and 7-10 TDs.

I think that's his ceiling.

Since we're on the subject of Woods' blocking, the block he threw on Tyrod's TD run against Tennessee was one of the best blocks I've ever seen by a WR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d45Q1HFigLs&app=desktop

Doesn't mean he can sniff Hines Ward's jock as a WR, but that block was amazing.

Yeah, that was fantastic.

I can see him having a 2-3 season run of 80 or so catches, 1000 or so yards, and 7-10 TDs.

I can see him maybe having a one off season with those kinds of numbers. Maybe he lands on a team here or elsewhere (more than likely the latter) that go pass happy and a #1 receiver gets banged up for a spell. In those circumstances Woods at his best might be in that range but I don't see him having the capability to deliver that production consistently.

I think that's his ceiling.

Yeah, that was fantastic.

I just don't see him going from an average of 51 catches to 80 or 610 yards to 1000 and 3.5 TDs to 7-10. Woods isn't a raw guy with a lot of undeveloped potential. He was a top recruit out of high school, a productive college player with a skill set that was already advanced. He came in as a polished player and has produced pretty consistently. I just don't know why we should expect drastic improvement from a guy like that? If he was Kevin White for example, I may agree. Woods was never some raw, physical freak with giant upside. He was a high floor, safe prospect. At some point you are what your record says that you are. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I just don't see him going from an average of 51 catches to 80 or 610 yards to 1000 and 3.5 TDs to 7-10. Woods isn't a raw guy with a lot of undeveloped potential. He was a top recruit out of high school, a productive college player with a skill set that was already advanced. He came in as a polished player and has produced pretty consistently. I just don't know why we should expect drastic improvement from a guy like that? If he was Kevin White for example, I may agree. Woods was never some raw, physical freak with giant upside. He was a high floor, safe prospect. At some point you are what your record says that you are.

I think you're going to see a real breakout year this year, and that you would have seen it last year if not for the double groin tears.

I'm betting on a season where Woods has 70 catches, 900 yards, and 7 TD.

I'll wager a Bills hat or visor on it, if you're willing to bite.