Did we overlook these comments by Dareus?

The comments made by Dareus in August pretty much tell the story. Maybe Rex and his coaches should swallow their pride and do what our stud DL does best.

Not that it has always been smooth as he transitions to a new scheme and another new coaching staff. Although Dareus calls playing for Ryan “a dream come true,” he admitted he is struggling a bit with how he is being guided by new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar.

“It’s just kind of a clash” between “the way I play and the way he coaches,” Dareus said. “And I’m just trying to incorporate what he wants into what I do to kind of just make it work so I can do what I know he wants and make it work for me as well. We’re just trying to fit the puzzle pieces right now.

“I still feel like he doesn’t understand me and is just trying to figure me out. But we’re trying to work together. We’re working closer. I’m a free player. I like to mess plays up. I like to just be all-out with it. If I can knock down three” blockers, “I can knock down three. I’m going to do whatever it takes to get to the ball. He kind of wants me to be more of a technical player, stay in your gap, fundamentals.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/01/bills-dareus-on-verge-of-big-payday/

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all Mario's fault!!!

Square hole, round peg. I thought Rex was better than forcing his defense on these players. I was wrong. But hey if you got a top 5 unit, you gotta destroy it and rebuild it.

I wish I could bet a ton of money on Mario getting 10 sacks and a pro bowl next year.

What's ironic is that Rex's defense appears to be premised on disciplined execution of your role.

And that's what is completely frustrating. We had the best pass rushing d line in the NFL. It was a huge strength. We didn't need to blitz to get pressure. Almost every team in the NFL would want that. So we decide to just have these guys occupy blockers and space?

I'd be pissed too if I was Dareus and Mario. When are cos he's going to fit their systems to the players? So frustrating.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

With regards to suggesting Rex let these guys do what they are capable of and what they're good at; I do not think he is that good. I do not think he can coach different defenses. Before Schwartz I believed only guys like Wade Philips and Dick LeBeau were capable of doing that; coaching a scheme to fit the players.

Either way, Dareus got paid and shut his mouth. I do not know if he bought in to the system and I do not think he cares what the system is; who would know if he is doing a good job or not? DT is one of the hardest to rate positions on the field. And, based on my limited watching of him, which I wish I would have done more of - he didn't really give a ton of effort and looked to be ineffective.

And that's what is completely frustrating. We had the best pass rushing d line in the NFL. It was a huge strength. We didn't need to blitz to get pressure. Almost every team in the NFL would want that. So we decide to just have these guys occupy blockers and space?

I'd be pissed too if I was Dareus and Mario. When are cos he's going to fit their systems to the players? So frustrating.

This

The comments made by Dareus in August pretty much tell the story. Maybe Rex and his coaches should swallow their pride and do what our stud DL does best.

You are correct.

I brought it up in the summer and again after the Patriots game so it's been discussed but it was overlooked by many initially.

The difference between Rex D and the Pettine/Schwartz D's was evident even in the Colts game.

The Bills pass rush was consistently hot for two years and on that day it began to go cold.

Well since you brought it up...

I didn't overlook it - most people just write off comments like that, but I don't think a player (without a history of it) speaks out that early without it potentially being a very big issue. I had a real bad feeling about it when I first read it - just got the feeling there was a lot more to the story

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179582-dareus-and-dunbar-its-kind-of-a-clash/?do=findComment&comment=3614602

I was going to post this but you beat me to it. I knew some would say showing concern over it was overreacting, premature etc. But honestly I do find it disconcerting. There's examples of great players whose production has gone way down when asked to fit into a system instead of just wreaking havoc with their ability. Sure it's too early to see how it will play out - but I'd certainly much rather be hearing one of the best D linemen in the game on a defense that was one of the best in the league last year saying positive things about the new position coach, new defense, and his role in it rather than this.

Little did I realize we could also be inserting Mario in the scenario of "great players whose production has gone way down when asked to fit into a system instead of just wreaking havoc with their ability"
Edited by stevewin

Well since you brought it up...

I didn't overlook it - most people just write off comments like that, but I don't think a player (without a history of it) speaks out that early without it potentially being a very big issue. I had a real bad feeling about it when I first read it - just got the feeling there was a lot more to the story

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179582-dareus-and-dunbar-its-kind-of-a-clash/?do=findComment&comment=3614602

Little did I realize we could also be inserting Mario in the scenario of "great players whose production has gone way down when asked to fit into a system instead of just wreaking havoc with their ability"

Good take.

Not that many people doing the usual shout down of a negative take......but John from Hemet was in there criticizing the messenger again. :lol:

They SHOULD HAVE just stuck with Schwartz like Tomlin did with Lebaeau , But no way Rex does that.

No use hoping for the past we just have get rid of some players and get ones that fit rex.

It's all Mario's fault!!!

Square hole, round peg. I thought Rex was better than forcing his defense on these players. I was wrong. But hey if you got a top 5 unit, you gotta destroy it and rebuild it.

I wish I could bet a ton of money on Mario getting 10 sacks and a pro bowl next year.

Reminds me of Grego destroying our 3rd ranked Wade Philips D for his 43 and we promptly went 3-13. So all this playoff draught is really Greg Williams fault.

Good take.

Not that many people doing the usual shout down of a negative take......but John from Hemet was in there criticizing the messenger again. :lol:

Still see some of the same names over and over eating crow. I think we need another self-reflection topic.

You know I actually can take it and dont care what people think of my postings

but I am pretty sure that calling someone out specifically on this forum is against TOS......yet is getting overlooked by the mods?

No man, I read a lot of the topics and a lot of your posts and your just wrong a lot.