Drafting Connor Cook in the first would be criminal

Billsfans,

I am satisfied enough with Tyrod that I don't think we need to waste a first on a QB. Cook is showing he is not going to live up to a 1st Round pick.

I say it's time to revamp the D. Since Rex is getting his shot, the only thing we can do is find his guys and roll with it.

If the axe falls on the D again then Pegs has no choice but to give Rex the boot (personally I wish it happened this year)

But to me there is no QB worth the trouble of wasting a #1 on.

My draft goes

#1 LB or DE (BPA)

#2 DE or LB (BPA)

#3 WR

#4 OT

#5 DE

#6 CB

#7 WR

So you're cool with going into 2016 with EJ as the backup again after yet another year of not drafting a QB? Fortunately, I'm pretty sure Rex and Whaley are not down with that strategy.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have only drafted 4 QBs since they last made the playoffs. They've neglected the most important position while missing the playoffs for 16 years. Meanwhile the Packers have drafted 10 QBs since Brett Favre was their QB, because you should never stop trying to find that next guy to take over the most important position. I'll take a chance on a QB over a DB or LB every year until the next starter is found. What they've done hasn't worked.

The Bills have only drafted 4 QBs since they last made the playoffs. They've neglected the most important position while missing the playoffs for 16 years. Meanwhile the Packers have drafted 10 QBs since Brett Favre was their QB, because you should never stop trying to find that next guy to take over the most important position. I'll take a chance on a QB over a DB or LB every year until the next starter is found. What they've done hasn't worked.

what if they don't have a 1st round grade on him? I don't believe the issue raised in the thread is whether or not to draft a QB this year. It is whether to take Cook in the 1st, if available. Edited by YoloinOhio

I love bowl season. It's the time of year where casual fans watch a player in one game and try to sum up his entire career. I hope our scouting department has enough competence to base their player evaluations on an entire body of work but I'm weird like that.

Except that some scouts and NFL execs dont like him either (reputedly) and he is considered by some the most likely QB to drop in the draft. You have to at least entertain the possibility that some QB needy team (and the Bills are in that group still) will jump on him thinking they got a bargain. Speaking as a casual fan I hope thats not us. I think id rather have that Coker kid somewhere in the 5-7 rounds. The other guy looked like a poor man's Brandon Weedon. One of the knocks on him was the level of competition he's faced (except maybe for Rutgers). Well he was up against a really good D yesterday and look what happened. So pass. JMO.

he's got the size and the arm but that bama defense seemed to play like they had 12 guys on the field. He had no time to throw and had to force everything when he did.

it was a bad matchup for MSU because they run a traditional offense, which Bama is built to stop. Bama struggles against tempo and offenses with speed at all positions that will spread you out. OSU put up 537 yards on Bama defense last year with a backup QB.

Other than Aaron Rodgers (whom the Pack took in the first round and I wish we had taken), which franchise QB did the Packers take with the other nine QB picks that we missed out on?

The answer is zero.

Other than Aaron Rodgers (whom the Pack took in the first round and I wish we had taken), which franchise QB did the Packers take with the other nine QB picks that we missed out on?

The answer is zero.

"Other than Aaron Rogers"--that a significant qualifier, don't you think? A team only needs one franchise QB every 10 years or so--that's the point. Last I heard, the Bills still don't have one. But even with Rogers in the fold, the Pack have continued to draft QBs for depth, because you never know. Because Rogers has rarely been hurt, most of the guys they drafted never got a real shot, although Flynn did pretty well when he played.

I love bowl season. It's the time of year where casual fans watch a player in one game and try to sum up his entire career. I hope our scouting department has enough competence to base their player evaluations on an entire body of work but I'm weird like that.

The most important game he's ever been in and he puts up a whopping zero? His own team won't elect him captain?

Look, i want a miracle QB as much as anybody but it isn't this guy. Let someone else burn a 4th on him.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I would agree with this, but to be fair he didn't have a second last night to throw.

Oh, I know. That Bama front 7 is one of the most ferocious things I've seen on a football field. A couple of their rotational guys would be the best defender on other SEC teams.

I didn't base much on last night with Cook though. I want to like him and he does carry some mercurial brilliance about him but he's just not developing as a decision maker or as a passer. I'm not a box score scout but when your highest completion percentage for a season is 58.7%, alarm bells start ringing.

From the 2014 games I've charted (I'll get onto 2015 games shortly), 2 things became apparent. Cook has a significant amount of targets beyond 16 yards (highest percentage among all QB's charted) and that drops aren't a huge issue for his completion percentage. He's not a lost cause but I really have my doubts that he'll succeed.

it was a bad matchup for MSU because they run a traditional offense, which Bama is built to stop. Bama struggles against tempo and offenses with speed at all positions that will spread you out. OSU put up 537 yards on Bama defense last year with a backup QB.

Yolo, although some of the same players were there, it is (in my strong opinion) not an accurate comparison between those two Crimson Tide teams.

This team might have the best front 7 I have ever seen, and I am going back a lot of years. They are deep and great. The Tide offense has some standout players but they are not even close to the team that beat Notre Dame a few years ago. The defense is clearly superior, especially up front.

It's going to be tough for Clemson to move the football without getting pummeled. It might happen too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As a 1st Round QB prospect Cook does nothing for me...

And before anyone comes out guns-a-blazing I realize there are many, many different ways to evaluate a College QB...None of which are foolproof...

That being said...If I'm a GM...I'm not putting a 1st Rd grade on any College QB with a completion percentage below 60% in their final College season...I'm just not doing it...

I see Cook as a 2nd-3rd Round developmental type...That's not to say he won't develop into a fine NFL QB in time...But like Cousins I think it's going to take a few years...And that's why I would not touch him in the 1st round...Because in today's NFL if you take a QB in the 1st he's not going to get much time to develop...Maybe a year...But chances are the team that needs him is going to need him fast...And I think if Cook gets rushed in he'll crumble...Like he did last night...

As a 1st Round QB prospect Cook does nothing for me...

And before anyone comes out guns-a-blazing I realize there are many, many different ways to evaluate a College QB...None of which are foolproof...

That being said...If I'm a GM...I'm not putting a 1st Rd grade on any College QB with a completion percentage below 60% in their final College season...I'm just not doing it...

I see Cook as a 2nd-3rd Round developmental type...That's not to say he won't develop into a fine NFL QB in time...But like Cousins I think it's going to take a few years...And that's why I would not touch him in the 1st round...Because in today's NFL if you take a QB in the 1st he's not going to get much time to develop...Maybe a year...But chances are the team that needs him is going to need him fast...And I think if Cook gets rushed in he'll crumble...Like he did last night...

I think this is pretty fair all around - he's a generally ok prospect in the sense that we see 5 or so generally ok ones most years. Not in the "do what it takes to go get our guy" style of prospect

And then someone turns out to be a franchise guy and we all look back to say "ohmergerd!! Whaley so stupid!!"

If the Bills like a guy, take the guy. God forbid they actually develop their own QB.

Actually, the fact that these !@#$tards have proven a distinct inability to determine when a prospect is developmentally challenged scares me a lot more than potentially wasting a draft pick.

The most important game he's ever been in and he puts up a whopping zero? His own team won't elect him captain?

Look, i want a miracle QB as much as anybody but it isn't this guy. Let someone else burn a 4th on him.

Was that game more important than the Rose Bowl? The Cotton Bowl last year, where he had an epic performance? The 2013 big ten championship game against undefeated ohio state?

The captain theory isn't convincing and was basically debunked anyway -- they gave the captain designations to fifth year seniors.

I think he's a good pro-style qb but he does have some accuracy issues which were visible last night. He'll likely be taken in the mid to late first round, i think ...

Edited by dave mcbride

To be fair, I've had him as a 3rd rounder since there was talk about him declaring last year.

I've seen very little in the past few months to change my mind on that, not sure he has any more room to grow.

Where ya been Blokes? You vanished from BBMB.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/12/todd_mcshay_connor_cooks_nfl_d.html

It does seem that there might actually be a little bit of smoke here vis-a-vis nt getting elected captain, but it's all so vague. So who knows?

Edited by dave mcbride