Drafting Connor Cook in the first would be criminal

MSU was overmatched. They didn't belong on the same field as 'Bama. The way things shook out I believe the Big 10 sent their 3rd or 4th best team to the playoffs.

As far as Cook goes I don't see the need. The Bills should be going LB 1st and OT 2nd.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They overhype quarterbacks every year out of necessity. Wentz is a solid QB but taking him that early is only going to heighten expectations.

I'm as big an advocate for Wentz as there is but 1st round is a bit rich for me.

i just meant first out of the QB prospects. Not sure what round.

i just meant first out of the QB prospects. Not sure what round.

Ahhhh. I'm kinda torn on where I rank him and Goff against each other. Pretty sure they're my #1 & #2 but not sure which order.

Don't buy the Paxton Lynch hype but he signed with a friend of Gil Brandt so Gil will be hyping him up beyond human comprehension.

Ahhhh. I'm kinda torn on where I rank him and Goff against each other. Pretty sure they're my #1 & #2 but not sure which order.

Don't buy the Paxton Lynch hype but he signed with a friend of Gil Brandt so Gil will be hyping him up beyond human comprehension.

thanks for the heads up on Gil - haha

thanks for the heads up on Gil - haha

Gil doesn't really need an excuse to hype up the tall white guys but this should be good.

The list of former QB's that Leigh Steinberg has represented is ridiculous though - http://www.steinbergsports.com/quarterbacks/

On top of that - Lennox Lewis, Oscar de la Hoya & Evander Holyfield.

Edited by Blokestradamus

And then someone turns out to be a franchise guy and we all look back to say "ohmergerd!! Whaley so stupid!!"

If the Bills like a guy, take the guy. God forbid they actually develop their own QB.

Apparently God did forbid it as they haven't done this in over 20 years.

No thanks. Kaepernick is awful. Tyrod is the starter next year but I'd still prefer if we drafted someone early to develop for a year.

Kap wasn't awful when he had good coaching and a decent OC. The 49ers are a mess and his regression was a direct result of it. IMO he'd be a way more competent backup than EJ and could challenge to start. He is similar in style to Tyrod and fits Roman's scheme. I think Tyrod is better but letting Kap know he gets a legit shot to start is incentive enough to give him a 2-3yr deal and it gives us time to find the right guy to groom.

30 years now that it's 2016, but who's counting? And it's arguable that houston gamblers did the developing for them ...

It's not really arguable at all. First, Howard Schnellenberger taught him how to play the position in college and the two years with Mouse Davis in Houston taught him how to read pro defenses. He was head and shoulders more prepared in '86 than he would have been if he came in '83. And being able to avoid the Kay Stephenson years helped as well.

GO BILLS!!!

They overhype quarterbacks every year out of necessity. Wentz is a solid QB but taking him that early is only going to heighten expectations.

I'm as big an advocate for Wentz as there is but 1st round is a bit rich for me.

I have Wentz in the 40-50 range

Doughty in the 55-70 range

It really depends on free agency. It's too soon to tell what the needs will be.

The order of efficient wrt "filling needs"

1. Development from within

2. Free agency

3. Draft

The draft is the least efficient way to address the needs of that coming season.

The early part of the draft should be used on franchise building blocks......not used to attempt to patch holes in a current "scheme".

it was a bad matchup for MSU because they run a traditional offense, which Bama is built to stop. Bama struggles against tempo and offenses with speed at all positions that will spread you out. OSU put up 537 yards on Bama defense last year with a backup QB.

Big ten football and castles made of sand. The Tide played with a Garden Variety Qb whose football life is over basically. Threw what? 3 picks? That one win is not a body of work to draw much from.

Edited by iinii

The order of efficient wrt "filling needs"

1. Development from within

2. Free agency

3. Draft

The draft is the least efficient way to address the needs of that coming season.

The early part of the draft should be used on franchise building blocks......not used to attempt to patch holes in a current "scheme".

Good explanation.

Draft the BPA. If it also helps a need, great.

I have Wentz in the 40-50 range

Doughty in the 55-70 range

I've not watched Doughty yet, need to watch him before the Shrine Game.

I'll be honest, I'm almost always turned off to gaudy numbers in college when it comes to quarterbacks. 71.9% completion rate, 48 TD's, 5000 yards and nobody talks about him as a franchise QB? My guy Matt Johnson at Bowling Green is the next guy behind him in terms of yardage and I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by Brandon. Also need to watch his TE/WR combo. Tyler Higbee and Jared Dangerfield (younger brother of former Bills safety Jordan).

Edited by Blokestradamus

I've not watched Doughty yet, need to watch him before the Shrine Game.

I'll be honest, I'm almost always turned off to gaudy numbers in college when it comes to quarterbacks. 71.9% completion rate, 48 TD's, 5000 yards and nobody talks about him as a franchise QB? My guy Matt Johnson at Bowling Green is the next guy behind him in terms of yardage and I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by Brandon. Also need to watch his TE/WR combo. Tyler Higbee and Jared Dangerfield (younger brother of former Bills safety Jordan).

I think you'll be surprised

With doughty, it's not the numbers. It's the fast release, he way the ball comes out of his hand, the speed of the process, accuracy, etc

I think the reason his draft stock isn't higher is twofold: he's on his 6th year of eligibility (so he's a bit older), and he level of competition in C-USA isn't fantastic.

Watch the LSU game when you get a chance. Their OL got murdered and he really held up for the most part.

Big ten football and castles made of sand. The Tide played with a Garden Variety Qb whose football life is over basically. Threw what? 3 picks? That one win is not a body of work to draw much from.

sensitive about the SEC are we? I didn't say anything about the Big 10. It was about certain types of offenses. Tempo, spread. Ole Miss - 433 yards on Bama. . Use all kinds of excuses if you want but that's on the defense. MSU's offense is the one kind they are built to defend. Same with LSU. It is in fact the same one Bama runs, they practice against it every day. Traditional, pro style. That said, I find it hard though to give Cook a complete pass and just say it was a good defense. you would have thought Cook could get at least 3 points. Edited by YoloinOhio

"Other than Aaron Rogers"--that a significant qualifier, don't you think? A team only needs one franchise QB every 10 years or so--that's the point. Last I heard, the Bills still don't have one. But even with Rogers in the fold, the Pack have continued to draft QBs for depth, because you never know. Because Rogers has rarely been hurt, most of the guys they drafted never got a real shot, although Flynn did pretty well when he played.

That's the point I was making. The Bills should be drafting QBs more frequently until they find a keeper. Not just in the 1st round. Even teams with good QBs draft more than the Bills.

we are developing our own QB. his name is Tyrod Taylor.

+1. The Bills have to give Tyrod a chance. He had a reasonably good season. 5 INTs is a good indication that he can protect the football and doesn't make mistakes. His accuracy is 65%. That is pretty good in NFL. Does he need to develop. Absolutely. He will get a TC where he will be the undisputed leader and would not share reps with two other QBs. He can build consistency and timing with his WRs.

The Bills should focus on OL and LBs. These are their biggest weakness.

Kap wasn't awful when he had good coaching and a decent OC. The 49ers are a mess and his regression was a direct result of it. IMO he'd be a way more competent backup than EJ and could challenge to start. He is similar in style to Tyrod and fits Roman's scheme. I think Tyrod is better but letting Kap know he gets a legit shot to start is incentive enough to give him a 2-3yr deal and it gives us time to find the right guy to groom.

I prefer the BIlls don't split the reps in training camp. It hurt them this year as Tyrod and the WRs took a longer time to get in sync