Drafting Connor Cook in the first would be criminal

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/12/todd_mcshay_connor_cooks_nfl_d.html

It does seem that there might actually be a little bit of smoke here vis-a-vis nt getting elected captain, but it's all so vague. So who knows?

He reminds me of that guy who had "BRAY" tattooed on his back. I can't remember his name but tons of people on here wanted him. And yes, playing for a right to go to the national championship is the biggest game of his life.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He reminds me of that guy who had "BRAY" tattooed on his back. I can't remember his name but tons of people on here wanted him. And yes, playing for a right to go to the national championship is the biggest game of his life.

If you're a big 10 fan and have awareness of conference history, the rose bowl on new year's day is huge.

As for last night, msu was completely overmatched and moreover cook is clearly playing hurt now. he couldn't make many of his normal throws in the iowa game. I'm an msu fan ( my wife went there), but they never should have made it to the final four. The fluky ending of the michigan game was why they were there.

If you're a big 10 fan and have awareness of conference history, the rose bowl on new year's day is huge.

As for last night, msu was completely overmatched and moreover cook is clearly playing hurt now. he couldn't make many of his normal throws in the iowa game. I'm an msu fan ( my wife went there), but they never should have made it to the final four. The fluky ending of the michigan game was why they were there.

He said before the game that he was throwing as hard as ever, but you know the player so I'll take your word for it.

He said before the game that he was throwing as hard as ever, but you know the player so I'll take your word for it.

Why the snark? I'm hazarding a reasonable guess given that he was actually wearing some sort of shoulder brace. He doesn't normally wear one.

Edited by dave mcbride

I am completely baffled by the amount of interest in Cook. I have seen him play in a number of games and there is nothing about him as a player that says "NFL Quality." He's one of those "shows flashes" players who "needs polishing." And from what I read, he's problematic as a human being. Compared to him (or Hackenberg, another flawed QB some around here are infatuated by), EJ is a Pro Bowl level guy.

Does no one around here follow other conferences? Do you not know there are a bunch of Pac 12 QBs coming out this year that includes Jared Goff of Cal who broke Mariotta records? Heck, if you're looking to take a back up/development guy in the third round or later, I personally would take Cody Kessler from USC before Cook.

It's too bad Ohio St underachieved all year. They certainly would have given the Tide a much better test than MSU. I don't really understand what happened to them this year--not that they were awful or anything.

I am completely baffled by the amount of interest in Cook. I have seen him play in a number of games and there is nothing about him as a player that says "NFL Quality." He's one of those "shows flashes" players who "needs polishing." And from what I read, he's problematic as a human being. Compared to him (or Hackenberg, another flawed QB some around here are infatuated by), EJ is a Pro Bowl level guy.

Does no one around here follow other conferences? Do you not know there are a bunch of Pac 12 QBs coming out this year that includes Jared Goff of Cal who broke Mariotta records? Heck, if you're looking to take a back up/development guy in the third round or later, I personally would take Cody Kessler from USC before Cook.

I agree about Goff. With regard to Cook, he has been playing against excellent competition for 3 years and winning a lot, and he operates a genuine pro offense--consistently throwing intermediate-deep passes with anticipation and always standing tall in the pocket. He's a better prospect than Cousins, who has turned into a pretty good nfl qb. Plus Cook has a good arm and good size. But he has some flaws (accuracy). I don't put a ton of stock into the personality issue stuff. Edited by dave mcbride

I'm not impressed at all. Good QB's have performed well against Bama in the past. There just seems to be something missing with this guy. I don't sense those intangibles that are so important to being a QB. As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly looked much better against Bama.

I agree about Goff. With regard to Cook, he has been playing against excellent competition for 3 years and winning a lot, and he operates a genuine pro offense--consistently throwing intermediate-deep passes with anticipation and always standing tall in the pocket. He's a better prospect than Cousins, who has turned into a pretty good nfl qb. Plus Cook has a good arm and good size. But he has some flaws (accuracy). I don't put a ton of stock into the personality issue stuff.

Accuracy is the biggest flaw a QB can have, and there's really no way to fix it. We found that out with EJ. Accuracy is reason enough not to draft Cook.

I'm not impressed at all. Good QB's have performed well against Bama in the past. There just seems to be something missing with this guy. I don't sense those intangibles that are so important to being a QB. As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly looked much better against Bama.

He played in a bunch of other games against good defenses, you know ...

It was just one game and the offensive line was overwhelmed from start to finish. They had no running game at all.

He played in a bunch of other games against good defenses, you know ...

It was just one game and the offensive line was overwhelmed from start to finish. They had no running game at all.

Big time players step up in big time games. The issue I have is that SEC > Big Ten. I feel like what you see against Bama is closer to what you get in the NFL. He didn't play against Ohio State this year. I just don't think any Big Ten team aside from Ohio State and Michigan is worthy of much respect. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I don't watch college football so I have no specific opinion on any guy. My only issue with your needs in the rounds is that I think a QB should be drafted every year. If you have a franchise guy then wait until the later rounds, maybe you find a Brady, if you need a guy or may need a guy like us, then you get one in rounds 2-4, maybe you get an Andy Dalton. The position is too important in today's game to not get one each year. That is especially true if we are getting rid of EJ as most suspect.

I agree, Harvey.

Does anyone on this board like our recent pickup - Zac Dysart? I liked him in college but honestly, i can't remember much of his game.

I don't watch college football so I have no specific opinion on any guy. My only issue with your needs in the rounds is that I think a QB should be drafted every year. If you have a franchise guy then wait until the later rounds, maybe you find a Brady, if you need a guy or may need a guy like us, then you get one in rounds 2-4, maybe you get an Andy Dalton. The position is too important in today's game to not get one each year. That is especially true if we are getting rid of EJ as most suspect.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kapernick brought in to compete with Tyrod. If neither can hold down the fort for 3-5 years then draft in 2017.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kapernick brought in to compete with Tyrod. If neither can hold down the fort for 3-5 years then draft in 2017.

No thanks. Kaepernick is awful. Tyrod is the starter next year but I'd still prefer if we drafted someone early to develop for a year.