Polian Willing to Help Bills, But Doesn't Want Czar Role

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, shots at Whaley. Polian likes Marrone, so, his opinion means nothing to me at this point in his career.

Doug Marrone hired a brilliant man to run his defense, and I can't think of another DC who could have gotten more out of the players that year than Schwartz. Marrone's problem was he just was overly loyal to his crappy OC in Nathaniel Hackett. Now imagine if Marrone & Schwartz had stayed, and fired Hackett while hiring Greg Roman. This 2015 years team would have been entirely different in almost every way. Plus, don't forget that Marrone also was having trouble with Whaley.

Let's also not forget that even though Bills fans can't stand them, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey was also very highly thought of around the league.

Bill Polian didn't turn down the Bills czar job just because Marrone walked away, and probably gave Polian an earful on Whaley, and Russ Brandon's influence over Terry Pegula on his way out. That influence is probably gone now.

Besides Kyle Orton retiring was another reason Polian didn't take the job, and probably because Whaley wanted EJ to start.

Things have significantly changed since last offseason and Pegula is searching for answers from people that actually know what they are doing in the NFL. Polian would be that man!

Lol I haven't been following the Newton thread. I feel like I need to go read it now.

Quick glimpse of me regarding Newton:

I have always been very critical of Newton; feeling he should make more efforts to pick up gains through the air than on the ground. Earlier in his career, the last two years specifically, he did not throw very well across the field. This year he has done much better finding targets all across the field for the first time in his career. Living in the area I end up seeing every game and have seen him get better and better on the smaller details of the game but he still struggles with aspects of the game.

His timing and his ability to his open WR's downfield is not on par with other QB's regarded so highly. He misses a lot of wide open guys down field. Other times he will pull the ball down showing little patience to let players develop - he has got a lot better at this, though.

Others have made a tired (to me) argument that his WR's are not very good, especially after Benjamin went down. But, his WR's are very, very underrated. Brown, Cotchery, Ginn, and Funchess are doing very well. Ginn, especially - huge improvement. Olsen is the second best TE in the league. He and Gronk are miles above any other TE's. His OL is vastly improved this year and he has had a very good pocket for most of his passes.

He is getting far too much love for an entire offense that is playing very well. The defense is just insanely good and they just need a pass rush. I truly hope Mario ends up in Carolina. He could be the missing piece to pure dominance.

Quick glimpse of me regarding Newton:

I have always been very critical of Newton; feeling he should make more efforts to pick up gains through the air than on the ground. Earlier in his career, the last two years specifically, he did not throw very well across the field. This year he has done much better finding targets all across the field for the first time in his career. Living in the area I end up seeing every game and have seen him get better and better on the smaller details of the game but he still struggles with aspects of the game.

His timing and his ability to his open WR's downfield is not on par with other QB's regarded so highly. He misses a lot of wide open guys down field. Other times he will pull the ball down showing little patience to let players develop - he has got a lot better at this, though.

Others have made a tired (to me) argument that his WR's are not very good, especially after Benjamin went down. But, his WR's are very, very underrated. Brown, Cotchery, Ginn, and Funchess are doing very well. Ginn, especially - huge improvement. Olsen is the second best TE in the league. He and Gronk are miles above any other TE's. His OL is vastly improved this year and he has had a very good pocket for most of his passes.

He is getting far too much love for an entire offense that is playing very well. The defense is just insanely good and they just need a pass rush. I truly hope Mario ends up in Carolina. He could be the missing piece to pure dominance.

You are tough. He will likely be the league MVP and deservedly so. You praise everyone on the offense but Newton. It makes no sense, the former number 1 overall pick , leading his team to a 14-0 record, is overrated?

This is great news to hear and the one man that Pegula should listen to about building a winning team above everyone else is Bill Polian! I agree with everything he has to say on the team, and would so love to have him as a senior adviser to the team. Pegula is brilliant for listening to him. I was wondering who the adviser was that it stated in the news that Terry Pegula was talking to someone.

He loves the Buffalo Bills and the Bills fans and only wants to see a winning team in Buffalo again. Gotta love the guy for that

Reports last year that Polian wanted Whaley out and Marrone to stay. Would you agree with that?

You are tough. He will likely be the league MVP and deservedly so. You praise everyone on the offense but Newton. It makes no sense, the former number 1 overall pick , leading his team to a 14-0 record, is overrated?

he gets praise, he has got a lot better then just a few years ago.

and he isn't leading his team. see the newton thread for more on this...

agreeing with you.

there are probably less than 16 quality qb's in the league without thinking of it, that is.

lets try this:

rivers

dalton

brady

roethlisberger

cutler

romo

brees

rodgers

wilson

newton

ryan

manning

luck

flacco

palmer

stafford

that's just 16 that I would consider true starting calibre, and I barely include newton in that category. skin of his teeth i tell ya.

Do you mean the Cam that is going to win the MVP on an undefeated team with 3500 yards passing, 500 yards rushing, and playing lights out. He's barely getting on the list over Matt Ryan, Stafford, Cutler?

Do you mean the Cam that is going to win the MVP on an undefeated team with 3500 yards passing, 500 yards rushing, and playing lights out. He's barely getting on the list over Matt Ryan, Stafford, Cutler?

you mean other pro bowl qb's who have performed in the top half of the league since entering?

Reasons for concern-

Polian has little to lose even if he flops

Polian has potential interests outside of buffalo success. If his goal is his son taking the job, and not an objective maximization of the bills organizational talent -- things like the factions/infighting/weird power lines could get worse not better.

Reasons for concern-

Polian has little to lose even if he flops

Polian has potential interests outside of buffalo success. If his goal is his son taking the job, and not an objective maximization of the bills organizational talent -- things like the factions/infighting/weird power lines could get worse not better.

Exactly. Consultant = No Skin in the Game

Pegula is a fool if he goes for this.

The more I think about it, the more I think the right move is an organizational consultant, someone independent of the Bills "lifers", to come in and talk to people and scrutinize the organization and advise on organizational structure for a healthy outcome.

Polian is not that guy.

For those criticizing this idea, could it get any worse?

This team is top 10 on paper and a full blown dumpster fire on the field.

I don't think we are top ten on paper. We don't have near the talent of teams like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc.