Lacanfora:Showdown could be brewing b/w Whaley,coaches

YoloinOhio

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Sammy Watkins: "If you're not going to do your job, cut him. It needs to be a business. We need some nasty coaches."

More Watkins: "If they're not doing their job, get them out of here. If I'm not doing my job, step to me, get me out of here."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 1m1 minute ago

Mario criticized the #Bills subbing to match personnel: "If you're a bully on the field you don't let anything else dictate what you do."

Bickering Bills

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see our situation the same as the Bills situation. The Browns were in full rebuild mode and they ditched their coach after 1 season which looked bad (although not likely a bad decision). This is because coaches of rebuilding teams are supposed to be treated with patience.

The Bills were not a dumpster fire. They were coming off a 9-7 season and had a top-5 defense. Our old coach bailed out (really an unusual situation), so we were forced to pick someone else. Someone who would best build on our recent success (i.e. Improve our offense at the same time of maintaining our top-5 defense). Rex, being a defensive coach, ironically did the complete opposite. I'm sure if we completely cloned the success of last season (top-5 D and mediocre offense), people here would be relatively happy. So, I don't think NFL people would view firing Rex poorly.

I agree with this. Rex said one true thing when he was hired: that Buffalo would be the last head coaching gig he ever has.

The Bills were not a dumpster fire. They were coming off a 9-7 season and had a top-5 defense. Our old coach bailed out (really an unusual situation), so we were forced to pick someone else. Someone who would best build on our recent success (i.e. Improve our offense at the same time of maintaining our top-5 defense). Rex, being a defensive coach, ironically did the complete opposite. I'm sure if we completely cloned the success of last season (top-5 D and mediocre offense), people here would be relatively happy. So, I don't think NFL people would view firing Rex poorly.

Yes, the prevailing wisdom at the time was the Bills needed some incremental improvements and one of these needs was a 'better' head coach. Ryan was supposed to be that incremental talent on the sidelines that would provide the Bills with the edge needed to push out 1 or 2 more wins and get into the playoffs. Some other additions were made on the offensive side and the logic was that if the offense would improve a bit and the defense would hold steady the team would be more successful. The offense did show improvement but everything else was a disaster.

I'll admit it that at the time of the hire I expected Ryan to be an improvement but I just haven't seen anything to justify that belief during the course of the season and likely into the future. My wife said it best at the time saying "why would you want to hire a coach who's known as a defensive genius that you scored something like 90 points against in two games last season"?

• 2 weeks later...

A swing and a miss! Shocker!

Yet in Vic's column today, he reports that an NFL source said that Whaley promised Roman that he would not get rid of Cassel after resigning him at a lower salary. And in Sully's column (I know--take it for what its worth), he says that the public affection expressed by Ryan for Whaley is "laughable," presumably for those in the know. Looks like they've gotta make it work now, however.

Yet in Vic's column today, he reports that an NFL source said that Whaley promised Roman that he would not get rid of Cassel after resigning him at a lower salary. And in Sully's column (I know--take it for what its worth), he says that the public affection expressed by Ryan for Whaley is "laughable," presumably for those in the know. Looks like they've gotta make it work now, however.

For the life of me I can't understand why Vic is so entrenched in this Cassel topic. He was touting Cassel to be the starter in August and it seems he can't get over it. No GM anywhere promises a coordinator he won't move a player -- particularly a bad one.

Speaking of "laughable" it's funny the word was used by a guy who is so out-of-the-know as Sully.

I'd like to know Whaleys opinion of Rex.

Me too. I'm certainly not a huge fan of Sully (although I think he's more right than people give him credit for here), but I have a hunch he's not wrong here.

"Doug Whaley is safe for now, but the GM isnt as safe as the apologists want you to believe. Its interesting how the Bills state media jumped to the GMs defense after the Eagles game. Whaley is still on thin ice; his contention that he and Ryan are on good terms is laughable.

A solid source tells me that if the Bills have another disappointing season in 2016, Pegula will blow the football department sky-high as he did, much too late, with the Sabres."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/30/jerry-sullivans-mailbag-ryan-whaley-will-be-under-the-microscope-next-season/

For the life of me I can't understand why Vic is so entrenched in this Cassel topic. He was touting Cassel to be the starter in August and it seems he can't get over it. No GM anywhere promises a coordinator he won't move a player -- particularly a bad one.

Speaking of "laughable" it's funny the word was used by a guy who is so out-of-the-know as Sully.

Sully is relying on a "solid" source here, and I tend to believe him. He rarely uses that sort of qualifier. Edited by dave mcbride

Hasn't Vic stirred up enough **** already that has proven to be incorrect? Cassel as the starter, Cassel as the backup, Polian as the Czar, Polian as a consultant. Blah Blah Blah! STFU Vic! Continuing to make Matt FN Cassel an issue at this juncture is nothing short of laughable.

Given the failure to meet expectations, I would not be surprised if a lot of what Sully, Vic and even La Canfora reported was true. Who knows, but I would expect internal disagreements about players and coaching to happen when the team is losing and people try to protect their jobs and their decisions.

A lot of money was spent by our new owners last offseason and expectations were not met. The focus should be on why the team regressed and fixing things for the future. Why are people wasting time getting angry at reporters and so-called NFL insiders? The Bills have not made the playoffs in 16 years. Shouldn't that be what we are all frustrated about?

Lacanfora isn't the most credible reporter out there but he seems to have a source somewhere at OBD. He's the one who reported the whole "Saint Doug" story.

It's called the reporter circle jerk. They call a local reporter like say, oh, Bucky. Bucky says he's heard from a "source" that there's trouble brewing. Now Lanconfra can claim a source "Close to the team" or with "Knowledge of the team" has made this claim.

Sully is relying on a "solid" source here, and I tend to believe him. He rarely uses that sort of qualifier.

Any person is a "solid". Bad reporters will often play word games with sources. Sully has not shown to have a source before so it would have to be a new source. Color me skeptical.

Edited by jeremy2020

Given the failure to meet expectations, I would not be surprised if a lot of what Sully, Vic and even La Canfora reported was true. Who knows, but I would expect internal disagreements about players and coaching to happen when the team is losing and people try to protect their jobs and their decisions.

A lot of money was spent by our new owners last offseason and expectations were not met. The focus should be on why the team regressed and fixing things for the future. Why are people wasting time getting angry at reporters and so-called NFL insiders? The Bills have not made the playoffs in 16 years. Shouldn't that be what we are all frustrated about?

You speak like we the fans have some kind of say in what goes on at One Bills Drive. Pegula is going to do what he thinks is best for the team, discussing other topics whether how irrelevant you think they are on a message board has no bearing on the Bills ending their now 16 year playoff drought.

Edited by Gordio

Me too. I'm certainly not a huge fan of Sully (although I think he's more right than people give him credit for here), but I have a hunch he's not wrong here.

"Doug Whaley is safe for now, but the GM isnt as safe as the apologists want you to believe. Its interesting how the Bills state media jumped to the GMs defense after the Eagles game. Whaley is still on thin ice; his contention that he and Ryan are on good terms is laughable.

A solid source tells me that if the Bills have another disappointing season in 2016, Pegula will blow the football department sky-high as he did, much too late, with the Sabres."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/30/jerry-sullivans-mailbag-ryan-whaley-will-be-under-the-microscope-next-season/

Sully is relying on a "solid" source here, and I tend to believe him. He rarely uses that sort of qualifier.

It's probably Peter the Mouth King. He runs off at the mouth more than a drunk at 2 AM on a Saturday night.