Rex Ryan says changes coming for review process

Estro

Thanks Rex and the entire Bills staff. Thanks for figuring out that the way you relay information for what to challenge on game days is an absolute joke. And thank you for for being proactive enough to get this change in before week 13. Hell with the first 12 weeks of the season, who needed an efficient and effective process the first 3/4's of the season.

Thanks to Rex for not challenging 3 plays that all looked iffy. 2 looked like locks to be overturned in the Hogan catch and Alex Smith being short of the sticks on his 3rd and 11 scamper. The Maclin catch was iffy, but was probably worth a second look given the importance of that play.

Thanks Rex for challenging Robert Woods drop, that reviews clearly showed hit the ground. And thank you for admitting in the post game press conference that one of your big indicators on whether you should challenge a play is by listening to the player involved in the play, who is surely going to give you his calm and objective opinion on the matter. Would you rather Rex get his info from a brainiac who knows the NFL rulebook inside and out, sitting in front of a 70 inch led t.v., listening to the game broadcast........or from Robert Woods?

These decisions seem so easy, so obvious, so laughable when they are posed aloud, but apparently for this pathetic organization that has yet to sniff a playoff appearance since '99, these things are not properly planned for 12 games into a season. It's embarrassing, and may have cost us a win this year.

Old process:

1. Tyrod moves toward huddle, holds hands above earholes on helmet, looks like a lost puppy.

2. Rex notices confusion, turns toward Team Chaplain for guidance.

3. Team Chaplain receives divine guidance on need for preserving timeouts, nods head "no" while Rex shields head with laminated play chart.

New process:

1. Man in box watches TV feed. Relays "throw the flag" to Rex.

I'll miss the old ways.

Rex said today that they have to put procedures in place to ensure that they see what we see at home. That's the joke, I've got nothing else (Lewis Black reference). That right there shows complete and utter incompetence. Yet for the sake of continuity, this bozo will probably be here at least another year. You're not even watching the network broadcast. YGBFKM.

The NFL needs an official in the booth watching what we see and call for a review from there.

The game is moving too fast for the refs on the field to get it right every play, only slo mo close ups can get it right.

Edited by ALF

Nice to see him admit the current process, whatever that is, is insufficient. But a veteran HQ should have a workable and effective process in place game one of the season. Just another example of Ryan's lack of attention to the critical details and 'little things' that make up the thin margin between winning and losing most weeks in the NFL.

Rather than spending his time playing the baffoon by planning stunts like wearing a Clemson helmet to a press conference those wasted moments and brain cells would be better being focused on the week's game plan instead.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Thanks Rex and the entire Bills staff. Thanks for figuring out that the way you relay information for what to challenge on game days is an absolute joke. And thank you for for being proactive enough to get this change in before week 13. Hell with the first 12 weeks of the season, who needed an efficient and effective process the first 3/4's of the season.

Thanks to Rex for not challenging 3 plays that all looked iffy. 2 looked like locks to be overturned in the Hogan catch and Alex Smith being short of the sticks on his 3rd and 11 scamper. The Maclin catch was iffy, but was probably worth a second look given the importance of that play.

Thanks Rex for challenging Robert Woods drop, that reviews clearly showed hit the ground. And thank you for admitting in the post game press conference that one of your big indicators on whether you should challenge a play is by listening to the player involved in the play, who is surely going to give you his calm and objective opinion on the matter. Would you rather Rex get his info from a brainiac who knows the NFL rulebook inside and out, sitting in front of a 70 inch led t.v., listening to the game broadcast........or from Robert Woods?

These decisions seem so easy, so obvious, so laughable when they are posed aloud, but apparently for this pathetic organization that has yet to sniff a playoff appearance since '99, these things are not properly planned for 12 games into a season. It's embarrassing, and may have cost us a win this year.

the first 12 weeks the process yielded 5 out of 6 successful challenges which had him ranked first in the league. Looks like it actually was efficient and effective for the first 3/4 of the season.

It wasn't effective week 13, so he's making changes to ensure it gets back to being effective. Stop the presses?

Not challenging one of the calls (or both if he won the first) wouldn't have won the game on their own. The team had a lot of backups in on D and didn't play well enough to win.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The team had a lot of backups in on D and didn't play well enough to win.

It's called week 12 of the NFL season, everybody has backups in. And the starters didn't play any better for most of the season.

As for your other point about him being ranked 1st at the beginning of the season: Being right doesn't mean it was a good challenge. The bottom line is that they only get 2 challenges per game and Rex has a really bad habit of just throwing a flag whenever he thinks the call is wrong and not even considering if the play in question is worth being challenged or he if should save it for later on a play that's important.

It's called week 12 of the NFL season, everybody has backups in. And the starters didn't play any better for most of the season.

As for your other point about him being ranked 1st at the beginning of the season: Being right doesn't mean it was a good challenge. The bottom line is that they only get 2 challenges per game and Rex has a really bad habit of just throwing a flag whenever he thinks the call is wrong and not even considering if the play in question is worth being challenged or he if should save it for later on a play that's important.

lol. I didn't say everyone doesn't have some backups in. I said they didn't play well enough to win. Sorry but I can't agree that Mario, Kyle, Aaron, Darby, and Bradham aren't better than Carrington, IK, Duke, Tarpley and Mario Butler. But if you think they are all the same, carry on.

He wasn't ranked first at the beginning of the year, he was ranked first going into week 13. How do you know what he is thinking when he decides to challenge plays? You don't. You are just assuming something to fit your narrative. He should have challenged one or both plays, from what we could see on tv, he didn't, he's making changes so he's has better communication on the road. It's not why they lost.

Edited by YoloinOhio

lol. I didn't say everyone doesn't have some backups in. I said they didn't play well enough to win. Sorry but I can't agree that Mario, Kyle, Aaron, Darby, and Bradham aren't better than Carrington, IK, Duke, Tarpley and Mario Butler. But if you think they are all the same, carry on.

He wasn't ranked first at the beginning of the year, he was ranked first going into week 13. How do you know what he is thinking when he decides to challenge plays? You don't. You are just assuming something to fit your narrative. He should have challenged one or both plays, from what we could see on tv, he didn't, he's making changes so he's has better communication on the road. It's not why they lost.

It at least contributed to the loss. If it's not, then nothing was the reason because no one thing can ever be proven that was the cause.

Sorry but I can't agree that Mario, Kyle, Aaron, Darby, and Bradham aren't better than Carrington, IK, Duke, Tarpley and Mario Butler. But if you think they are all the same, carry on.

You can't agree? Where did anybody say anything like that for you to agree with?

And while I don't know what he's thinking I know he has challenged some idiotic plays this year. And I'm not talking about getting it wrong I'm talking about plays where one says to themselves, "why on earth would you bother challenging that?" It's happened multiple time but has been overlooked because there are bigger things to trash the Bills for (like poor defensive play.)

And how do you know that if he makes those challenges the Bills don't end up winning? I don't know if they do, but what I do know is that he didn't give the Bills the best chance of winning.

those wasted moments and brain cells would be better being focused on the week's game plan instead.

This is what has always bothered me about Rex. Sure, a moment here, a moment there...what's the big deal? But, his loose style with his players and coaches leads to hundreds of moments every day where someone isn't doing something that they should as part of their preparation for the next game. We are seeing the results week in, week out.

I'll beat the drum again...Rex can't change, to paraphrase Denny Green he is who I thought he was. He needs to hire (or be forced to hire) someone to handle the mundane issues during the week and make sure that game day prep and game day itself is properly planned and executed. This person needs to be a stickler for details & he must have a deep understanding of the game...someone like (I said like, I'm not saying either of these guys would/should be the guy) Tom Coughlin or Jim Tressel...that's the kind of guy who is needed.

If not we'll be having these conversations, just like jests fans did, for the entirety of Rex's tenure. One week it will be challenges, the next it will be clock management, the next it will be penalties, the next it will be communication to the offensive/defensive play callers, the next week it will be why did we stray away from a game plan that was working, the next will be why didn't we make any adjusments?????????

He's a great guy, one I'd love to have a beer with, but, Rex gets too wrapped up in himself and too wrapped up in the moment during games to be an effective head coach without significant help. One could question why a HC needs to be supported in this way, why not just get rid of him? We don't need another total makeover which would waste the talent that is here now. I'm not willing to go there.