Brock Osweiler

The_Dude

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RobJohnson.jpg

The good news for teams is that they'll have more to go on than just a game or two by the time he's a FA. Granted, it's still not enough to know what exactly he's worth but someone will throw lots of money at him if he plays well from here on out.

I think in this case it's ignorant to think that 'well the Broncos won't let him go' because it's a unique situation and if the Broncos don't play the trigger on the franchise tag then why wouldn't be test the market?

It's not ignorant; it's someone else's opinion.

Take a minute and think about it.

Does Osweiler's camp think that 5 or 6 good games (assuming he has them) will get him $20M/year like Brees, the Manning boys, Rivers, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan? That'd be hoping for a lot.

At best, they could hope for something in the Matt Stafford-Ryan Tannehill range of $17.25M-$19.5M; that's his upper limit based on QB paygrade.

The franchise tag for a QB is probably upwards of $22M; once he gets that tag, he's not going to take less than than per annum, which is why it doesn't make sense to for him to get tagged.

The most likely outcome is that Denver parts ways with Manning and his $19M base salary, and hands that annual sum over to Osweiler. He won't get more than that on the open market, and his agents should know it.

I bet Tyrod is kicking himself for picking Buffalo and not Denver, where he would likely have been the #2 QB in his former OC Kubiak's system, and now the starter, subject to this $15+MM/yr contract speculation. Yes, he will be available as a FA after next season, but I don't see more than a $7-8MM/yr deal in his future, unless he improves his passing skills. He is sometimes fun to watch, but certainly not a great passer.

I bet Tyrod is kicking himself for picking Buffalo and not Denver, where he would likely have been the #2 QB in his former OC Kubiak's system, and now the starter, subject to this $15+MM/yr contract speculation. Yes, he will be available as a FA after next season, but I don't see more than a $7-8MM/yr deal in his future, unless he improves his passing skills. He is sometimes fun to watch, but certainly not a great passer.

Only if he signed a one year deal. But why would he do that? He signed a 3 year deal here. He would done something similar in Denver.

Then again, maybe the Bills could have signed and started Osweiller. Then we could all talk about how he's not the answer either. :lol:

There was talk about Osweiler on NFL Radio yesterday... and during the conversation the Bills came up as an example of exactly how not to handle the QB position and QB contracts. The summary: you can't hamstring your franchise by giving franchise QB money to just some guy who is penciled at the position.

WRT Brock: There isn't enough tape on Osweiler and nobody, not even the Broncos, really know what he can do yet on a consistent basis.

If you take Taylor's stats this season & average them out over a course of a 16 game schedule he would have 3,800 yards, 24 tds & 11 ints. I think anyone of us would of signed up for that in the beginning of the season. My point is it would be a big mistake to get rid of TT next year unless something clearly better is an option(Rivers/Brees). Has he been perfect no & the bills have not one as much as we all would of hoped for but he has earned the starting job for next year with the way he has plasyed for the most part this year.

signing another quality QB is not "getting rid of Taylor" If Taylor beats out everyone in camp, then he is the starter again in 2016. If someone else is better, they are the starter.

There was talk about Osweiler on NFL Radio yesterday... and during the conversation the Bills came up as an example of exactly how not to handle the QB position and QB contracts. The summary: you can't hamstring your franchise by giving franchise QB money to just some guy who is penciled at the position.

WRT Brock: There isn't enough tape on Osweiler and nobody, not even the Broncos, really know what he can do yet on a consistent basis.

Yeah - it didnt like destroy us cap wise. But it did set us back and cost us a couple starters down the road with dead money.

He's an unrestricted free agent after this year...

Does he resign with the Broncos without testing the market? I doubt it.

Do the Broncos franchise him? I doubt it and not sure if they can afford that.

This is a unique and interesting situation and he'll have zero problems seeing over the line.

Thoughts?

I'd take a shot at him

Why couldn't he have been good :cry:

Right, that would have been awesome if he was the next Jim Kelly

He has 5 games to show he can be a starter. If he does well, the Broncos have their successor and will cut Manning. They save the $19 mil and can apply part of it to an Osweiler contract.

There is no way the Broncos let him go if he does well. Now, Manning states he still wants to play, and will have the rest of this season to heal. Does anyone want a 40 yr old Manning for one year.

I say no, but thought this would come up on this or another thread.

He has 5 games to show he can be a starter. If he does well, the Broncos have their successor and will cut Manning. They save the $19 mil and can apply part of it to an Osweiler contract.

There is no way the Broncos let him go if he does well. Now, Manning states he still wants to play, and will have the rest of this season to heal. Does anyone want a 40 yr old Manning for one year.

I say no, but thought this would come up on this or another thread.

Here in Colorado, this is pretty much how everyone sees it -- if Osweiler performs well (and he doesn't have to set the league on fire, he just has to be solid) he's the man going forward, including in the playoffs this year. Does Peyton think he can come back? I think he does. His options for next year? Right now I see only the Texans as a fit. I think he explores that, then decides to hang it up since nobody really thinks that would end well.

signing another quality QB is not "getting rid of Taylor" If Taylor beats out everyone in camp, then he is the starter again in 2016. If someone else is better, they are the starter.

The thing is, that works to keep multiple QBs on the roster and let the best man win if you're paying an average of $3-4M per QB, no more.

Once you're paying one QB north of $10M a year, that's your budget for QB and the others have to be paid rookie wage scale.

He's an unrestricted free agent after this year...

Does he resign with the Broncos without testing the market? I doubt it.

Do the Broncos franchise him? I doubt it and not sure if they can afford that.

This is a unique and interesting situation and he'll have zero problems seeing over the line.

Thoughts?

No thanks his throwing motion is going to get him into trouble. He does not look like a future starting QB.