If Belichick were coach of Bills

finn

I'm not a big fan of "what If? history, but as a thought exercise the notion sheds light on the two coaches' abilities. Under Belicheck, the Bills would more likely win tonight because they would be disciplined, focused, innovative, responsive and prepared. Under Ryan, the Patriots would more likely choke because they would be distracted by his grandstanding, take stupid penalties and play right into Belicheck's schemes. (The Bills would also be more likely to win with Belicheck because they would cheat.)

Rex Ryan predictably wins the contest at the podium.

Bill Belichick predictably wins the contest on the field.

If you want to garner attention Ryan is the man for the job.

If you want to garner wins BB is the man for the job.

From a coaching standpoint Ryan is a pygmy compared to BB.

Amen

I'm not a big fan of "what If? history, but as a thought exercise the notion sheds light on the two coaches' abilities. Under Belicheck, the Bills would more likely win tonight because they would be disciplined, focused, innovative, responsive and prepared. Under Ryan, the Patriots would more likely choke because they would be distracted by his grandstanding, take stupid penalties and play right into Belicheck's schemes. (The Bills would also be more likely to win with Belicheck because they would cheat.)

If the Pats still have Brady, they are still more likely to win than we are.

"Please. Belichick was a dead man walking before Brady pulled his ass out of the fire."

I disagree. I think Belichick has it figured out, and he happens to have a Brady. It happens (e.g., Montana/Rice). Belichick shut down the K-Gun single handedly. That Giants team wasn't in the same league as the Bills, especially their defense against the Bills offense, yet they won the game. I think he would have figured out how to slow down Brady, while improving the odds with discipline, etc. Ryan, meanwhile, hasn't shown anything on this team. He appears to be a fool.

If BB was the coach of the Bills, we'd most likely have a super bowl ring or two by now. We would have been caught for cheating (spy gate). NFL fans outside Buffalo would despise us. Tom Brady wouldn't be as good as he is without BB. My guess is Brady would be on the level like Rivers or Romo in terms of production.

When you have a probowl type quarterback coaching is always easier, and coaches that have the fortune to have a great quarterback always win more. Before Brady, he was an average coach.

in a very bad division for the last ten years. Edited by Kkspike

Please, spare me how BB wasn't successful before Brady. Just take a look at what that team did when Cassel was their QB for a year. There have been a lot of great QB's that never won a super bowl and a bunch (i.e. Peyton Manning, Rodgers) that only have won one. The Pats have 4 and easily could be 5-6. Brady isn't light years ahead of these guys. The Pats have been so dominate because of their system (brilliant coaching by BB and game plans by Ernie Adams) as well as bending and breaking rules to give them every advantage possible. Not saying Brady isn't good (if not great), but something tells me he doesn't have near the career he's had without Bill and Ernie and their cheating ways.

Please, spare me how BB wasn't successful before Brady. Just take a look at what that team did when Cassel was their QB for a year. There have been a lot of great QB's that never won a super bowl and a bunch (i.e. Peyton Manning, Rodgers) that only have won one. The Pats have 4 and easily could be 5-6. Brady isn't light years ahead of these guys. The Pats have been so dominate because of their system (brilliant coaching by BB and game plans by Ernie Adams) as well as bending and breaking rules to give them every advantage possible. Not saying Brady isn't good (if not great), but something tells me he doesn't have near the career he's had without Bill and Ernie and their cheating ways.

Brady is THE best QB of our time. Maybe of all time. He's better than Marino, Kelly AND Elway, IMO.

I agree with everything except your first bullet. I absolutely love BB's podium presence. One of my favorites was from years ago - I have no idea who the opponent was. A reporter asked him about the decision to go for 3 and he simply stated, "we like to score touchdowns." That was it. Next question.

Watching Ryan at the podium was fun for about the first half of his first season with New Jersey. After that it was just "same as it ever was ..." Zzzzz

Hey now! That may have offended some pygmys.

I'd like to like Rex, I really would. He seems like a great guy to have a beer with. I'm just not so sure about him coaching my favorite team. Prove me wrong, Rex!

"One Mo Lewis hit away from the unemployment line" -Bart Scott

Another factor of the Patriots success under BB was the OC

So...

I think it's fair to say that both have been as successful as they have been because they had each other. Give Brady Rex Ryan as coach and he maybe goes to the Super Bowl but not that many times. Give Belicheck Tyrod and this Bills team (for example) and he also goes to the Show, but maybe just once. Plug in any combination of great coach-qbs in NFL history and it amounts to the same thing. You need a franchise qb. But you also need a top head coach.

And I'm here to tell you Rex Ryan ain't one of them.

I agree with everything except your first bullet. I absolutely love BB's podium presence. One of my favorites was from years ago - I have no idea who the opponent was. A reporter asked him about the decision to go for 3 and he simply stated, "we like to score touchdowns." That was it. Next question.

Watching Ryan at the podium was fun for about the first half of his first season with New Jersey. After that it was just "same as it ever was ..." Zzzzz

I was tired of his self-promoting huckster act before he was hired.

If you want to be impressed with a Buffalo coach at the podium or during an interview you should watch or listen to the Sabres' HC, Byslma. He gives thoughtful and direct answers, especially post game. He can be discreetly critical of his team and yet do it in a polite and dignified manner. He is classy and substantive.

Rex Ryan at the podium is comparable to a second rate kareoke mid-week lounge act at a New Jersey Holiday Inn. With the loqacious Rex your team is going to get a level of attention that is on higher scale than the level of wins.

"Please. Belichick was a dead man walking before Brady pulled his ass out of the fire."

I disagree. I think Belichick has it figured out, and he happens to have a Brady. It happens (e.g., Montana/Rice). Belichick shut down the K-Gun single handedly. That Giants team wasn't in the same league as the Bills, especially their defense against the Bills offense, yet they won the game. I think he would have figured out how to slow down Brady, while improving the odds with discipline, etc. Ryan, meanwhile, hasn't shown anything on this team. He appears to be a fool.

BB was under 500 before Brady. I guess he all of a sudden became a genius right about the time Bledsoe got hurt & BB had to turn to Brady. Good solid coach but no genius.

what was Belicheat's record before Tom Brady? oh that's right HE WAS A LOSER

Pretty much my thoughts. If he was coaching the team for all the years we haven't been in the playoffs with the sub-par talent at QB he would probably have the same record as all those other coaches.