GM of the year?

DC Grid

Whaley pulled 2 good starters at critical positions and one backup who'd start for a lot of teams out of a draft he had no first round pick (his fault I know). He signed a guy who has a shot of being a long term solution for the Bills at QB (first since Kelly) brought in a great TE, and vastly upgraded another starting position OG, on the cheap with incognito. Then he basically recouped his one big mistake of the offseason by turfing Cassel for a pick. I know he's a popular target for people on this board to tee off on, but has any GM done a better job this year?

Whaley pulled 2 good starters at critical positions and one backup who'd start for a lot of teams out of a draft he had no first round pick (his fault I know). He signed a guy who has a shot of being a long term solution for the Bills at QB (first since Kelly) brought in a great TE, and vastly upgraded another starting position OG, on the cheap with incognito. Then he basically recouped his one big mistake of the offseason by turfing Cassel for a pick. I know he's a popular target for people on this board to tee off on, but has any GM done a better job this year?

Gotta finish better than 9-7.

I consider Karlos Williams a starter as with RB's you basically have 2. That means three starters in your draft without a 1st and a 4th round pick. Cassel has played like crap in Dallas so enough on how terrible that was in a decision. He has thrown as many picks as EJ in two games. Now i can't stand EJ, but Josh Johnson may turn out to be a decent back up as he played for Roman and knows the style of offense he runs.

Whaley can't predict Sammy will get hurt 7 times in 1.5 years. He was durable in college.If Sammy plays more like with Miami, no one is complaining about Sammy. The key is can Whaley resign our top players coming off contract, and have another stellar draft.

No one hits on all draft picks, but his hit ratio is great. Whaley is too much of a punching bag on TBD. He's building a solid team.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!! Whaley is the root of EVERY problem in the organization. Are you blind? Can you not see how wrong he has been at every turn? We need to fire Whaley and by no means should he be rewarded for anything, ANYTHING!!!......... :rolleyes:

I agree on holding off on this talk of GM of the year. But I think Whaley has really done a remarkable job and was very surprised a month ago when lots of people on this board were wanting him fired. He has built a very solid team (one of the most talented teams in the NFL I believe) without grabbing huge free agent pickups. I hope he continues to hit like he has in drafts.

They would have to win 6 of their last 7 and get to the AFC championship game for him to even be in the discussion.

And I'm not ruling that out. Rex just has to do a better job on D.

I'm not a Whaley basher but his results are a mixed bag.

Rex has made him look bad by misusing the defensive talent he assembled.

But Rex probably saved Whaley's job by leading them to Tyrod Taylor.

He is one of the best GMs in the league. I know I keep repeating it but firing Doug Whaley would be the worst mistake this team has made since firing Wade Phillips as Head Coach... it would set us back without question.

EDIT: as for GM of the year I don't necessarily think it should just be linked to W-L record because that is about how the coach uses the talent too. However, you can't give it to the GM of a team whose record is not better than the previous year.

Edited by GunnerBill

Was more interested in EJ having success then the team , when the team wins the division then you can start that conversation. Ryan was the one who pushed for Taylor at QB or we would forced to watch EJ.

May cost him an extension. Too bad, cause that's my only true issue with him... the only one from Ralph's trash that I might have considered keeping if I was Pegs.

The GM of the year is the GM of the team that wins the Super Bowl. If that is the Bills, then Whaley is definitely GM of the year.

Except that isn't the case...

2014 - Jerry Jones/Cowboys (12-4, 3rd sees, lost NFCC)

2013 - Jon Dorsey/Chiefs (11-5, 5th seed, lost WC)

2012 - Ryan Grigson/Colts (11-5, 5th seed, lost WC)

2011 - Trent Baalke/49ers (13-3, 2nd seed, lost NFCC)

2010 - Scott Pioli/Chiefs (10-6, 4th seed, lost WC)

2009 - Bill Polian/Colts (14-2 1st seed, lost SB)

2008 - Bill Parcells/Dolphins (11-5, 3rd seed, lost WC)

2007 - Scott Pioli/Patriots (16-0, 1st seed, lost SB)

2006 - Mickey Loomis/Saints (10-6, 2nd seed, lost NFCC)

2005 - Bill Polian/Colts (14-2 1st seed, lost AFC Semi)

In fact the last GMOY who won the Super Bowl was Scott Pioli in 2003.