The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

31 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Use tech and human safeguards in remote areas.  Building a static wall there is a waste of money.   Focus resources on more critical areas.  If there isn’t a problem with illegals in, say, Big Bend National Park, we shouldn’t spend $1m/mile or whatever the cost of the wall is (I actually think it’s quite a bit more) in that place.  I appreciate that there might be more long-term costs in such areas (e.g., paying people, cost of maintaining cameras, drones, etc.), but we probably would need such long-term measures even with the wall given the ease with which such a device may be breached.  In other words, relying solely on wall in remote areas is a bad idea, so the concern with respect to human and technological costs probably isn’t a big one. 

Don’t put words in my mouth.  I don’t believe that Trump called Vicente Fox or Fernando Valenzuela a rapist, or that he said that all Mexican women are rapists.  I do believe that he has demonized Mexicans for his own gain.  That much is sure. 

And what type of tech?  I seriously would like to know. Are there studies that show high tech and human safeguards are more effective and cost efficient. 

So Trump has not said ALL Mexicans are rapists but he’s demonized ALL Mexicans.  Ok ok thanks again for your clarification. ??

@Section3C it was only a couple weeks ago that the very points were argued regarding the wall with your "sea to sea" bs and the lie that Trump called all Mexican border crossers rapists and criminals. You were shot down then and are now trying to relitigate those points.  Just stop boring us. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And what type of tech?  I seriously would like to know. Are there studies that show high tech and human safeguards are more effective and cost efficient.

Drones have historically been highly effective at watching people illegally cross the border while the nearest Border Patrol response was some 4 hours away (due to the rough terrain.)

Perhaps the government should invest in some 'illegal immigration free zone' signs. Maybe a few 'just say no to illegal immigration' posters as well.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Drones have historically been highly effective at watching people illegally cross the border while the nearest Border Patrol response was some 4 hours away (due to the rough terrain.)

Perhaps the government should invest in some 'illegal immigration free zone' signs. Maybe a few 'just say no to illegal immigration' posters as well.

Yeah I noticed C-Section didn't respond to my question regarding the effectiveness of technology. But he watched Narco so he knows.  

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

With respect to immigration, like the vast majority of Americans I agree that we need secure borders.  We differ on how to effectively accomplish that.  I believe a wall is an effective measure in urban areas and high-traffic places, such as in San Diego and in parts of Arizona.  More remote areas may benefit from different safeguards.  

Yeah moats with alligators in them and electrified fences.

If there is a better thread for this, could someone please point me to it! ?

Connecticut transgender policy found to violate Title IX

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut's policy allowing transgender girls to compete as girls in high school sports violates the civil rights of athletes who have always identified as female, the U.S. Education Department has determined in a decision that could force the state to change course to keep federal funding and influence others to do the same.

A letter from the department's civil rights office, a copy of which was obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, came in response to a complaint filed last year by several cisgender female track athletes who argued that two transgender female runners had an unfair physical advantage.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

UCLA Students Demand Dismissal of Professors Who Refuse to Cancel Final Exams Over Floyd Death

Anderson School of Management professor Gordon Klein was doxxed by students after he refused to allow minority students to abstain from taking final exams. A student in Klein's Management 127 class, who wishes to remain anonymous for fear of retribution, requested accommodations for minority students during "these trying times." In the exchange, Klein questioned the appropriateness of using race to determine how students should be treated.

"Thanks for your suggestion in your email below that I give black students special treatment, given the tragedy in Minnesota," Klein wrote in his response email. "Do you know the names of the classmates that are black? How can I identify them since we've been having online classes only? Are there any students that may be of mixed parentage, such as half black-half Asian? What do you suggest I do with respect to them? A full concession or just half?"

</snip>

"We ask for your support in having Professor Klein's professorship terminated for his extremely insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist response to his students' request for empathy and compassion during a time of civil unrest," the petition reads.

More than 18,000 people had signed the petition as of Thursday afternoon. :blink:

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 3

WASHINGTON POST: Let’s cancel all the cop shows on TV.

Writing at the Washington Post, author Alyssa Rosenberg has a unique solution for the problems with our policing: Cancel all the cop shows on television. She argues we need to do that because there’s a “reactionary streak” behind the “surface liberalism” in these shows.

I’m not expecting sitcoms and cop shows to vanish from TV anytime soon, as those are the genres that have defined American network television since its inception in the late 1940s. Regarding the latter format, as lefty academic Todd Gitlin wrote in his 1983 look at the American TV industry, Inside Prime Time (which served as a textbook at my college, and presumably, loads of others), in the early 1970s, David Gerber, the producer of the NBC series Police Story and Police Woman, “took to cop shows not only because the police were society’s blue line but because they could be the networks’.

In the industry jargon, they afforded a franchise — a hero’s right to interfere every week in the lives of others. ‘In television there are a certain amount of franchises,’ Gerber points out. ‘What do you got? You got doctor, lawyer, and chief. Throw in some Indians, for westerns. So doctor, lawyer, and police; the westerns are gone.

You try to do something offbeat — White Shadow, Paper Chase, American Dream — and you get shot down. So you stay with the franchise or you take a chance. In June the networks have patience with anything. The flowers are blooming, hooray, hooray. Come September, they lose patience, because they’re in a competitive race.’”

But the left’s desire, whatever the struggle session du jour, whether it’s #metoo or #blacklivesmatter, to airbrush out offending swatches of pop culture is telling, and will slowly take its toll. (See also: Messrs. Woody Allen and Bill Cosby, who were omnipresent in American culture until becoming unpersons.)

As I wrote in May of 2018, the Great Purge of 20th Century Mass Culture will be astonishing to watch, a much more insidious version of the way the arrival of the Beatles to America completely pushed swing music, America’s pop music from the 1920s through the early 1960s, into the dustbin of history

SEGREGATION NOW,

SEGREGATION TOMORROW,

SEGREGATION FOREVER! 

Students call for laxed grading for black students. University goes along with it.

SEGREGATION NOW,

SEGREGATION TOMORROW,

SEGREGATION FOREVER

— AND SEGREGATION UNQUESTIONED: 

UCLA removes lecturer for questioning proposal to give black students preferential grading. 

“The petition, created by UCLA student Preet Bains, calls Klein’s defense of race-blind consideration ‘extremely insensitive, dismissive, and woefully racist.'” But the administration went along.

When taxpayers tire of funding this sort of thing, we’ll be told it’s because of “anti-intellectualism.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, B-Man said:

:wallbash:

This come about 80 years too late for the thousands of victims of Elmer Fudd-inspired mass murderers

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1269446236685455360 

Hopefully writers can now explore the countless other aspects of the vast, complex, always-intriguing personality that is Elmer Fudd
5:39 PM · Jun 7, 2020·

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Probably because he knows better. 

Maybe he's not from Africa like the rest of them.

Nancy also called Mr. Floyd a martyr.  

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/martyr

: a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially life itself for the sake of principle

What principle was he fighting?    He was just trying to buy a pack of gum or whatever and chill.

I am not belittling Mr. Floyd, just the rhetoric.

Defund no longer means defund. Martyr no longer means what it did before either evidently.

54 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Without the likes of Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, and the immortal Mel Blanc, is it really Looney Tunes?

No.

why doesn't HBO take guns out of ALL their money movies. They sure show a lot them and the Hollywood's woke elite keep churning them out.

• Like (+1) 1