The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Which one is which?  Im a 1981 production. I know I'm not a millennial, so I'm guessing I'm genuinely Y?  Gen z is what?

50 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

You're a millennial, you !@#$ing millennial!

1981 is Gen X

Well whatever, nevermind

7 hours ago, unbillievable said:

From what I have figured out from google...

People born between 1975 and 1985 can self-identify as either Gen X or Y.

People born between 1995 and 2005 can self-identify as either Gen Y or Z

Then what the hell's 1969?  We're not boomers.

Just now, DC Tom said:

!@#$ that ****.  I drink Coke.

:lol:

Me too. And not the reformulated crap, either.

The Pepsi generation was part of an ad campaign they had back in those days: Join the Pepsi Generation!

As a young boomer myself (if indeed any of us are actually young), I grew up a true child of mass media, so I was bombarded with this kind of %$^# very heavily in my formative years.

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

Me too. And not the reformulated crap, either.

The Pepsi generation was part of an ad campaign they had back in those days: Join the Pepsi Generation!

As a young boomer myself (if indeed any of us are actually young), I grew up a true child of mass media, so I was bombarded with this kind of %$^# very heavily in my formative years.

I remember that.  But I always preferred to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

Of all the commercials of that era, the one I never really understood is how women could sit down to talk to their manicurist and accidentally soak their hands in a random bowl of dishwashing detergent.  How do you not notice that ****?  How do you always accidentally get your hand in the bowl?  Why the !@#$ does Mage have a bowl of Palmolive just sitting out for no reason?  

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I remember that.  But I always preferred to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

I couldn't stand that song. I still have disdain for baby polar bears because of it.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Of all the commercials of that era, the one I never really understood is how women could sit down to talk to their manicurist and accidentally soak their hands in a random bowl of dishwashing detergent.  How do you not notice that ****?  How do you always accidentally get your hand in the bowl?  Why the !@#$ does Mage have a bowl of Palmolive just sitting out for no reason?  

That ad campaign ran for a long time, too. "You're soaking in it." "What?! Dishwashing liquid???" "Relax, it's Palmolive!"

That really wasn't much sillier than the Ajax White Knight that would ride through the countryside, nailing people's launrdy as it dried on the clothesline with his lance, bleaching it in a sudden burst of white light.

2 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Booooooo!

Where do you think the word "lunatic" comes from?  The Latin "Lunaticus" - "characteristic of" or "like the moon."  One who changes, particularly their thoughts and moods, as the phases of the moon.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Where do you think the word "lunatic" comes from?  The Latin "Lunaticus" - "characteristic of" or "like the moon."  One who changes, particularly their thoughts and moods, as the phases of the moon.

So it was originally a term used to describe wives?

Interesting.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Then what the hell's 1969?  We're not boomers.

Before 1975 is considered Gen X. You can't choose.

You're stuck in the same group as the cast of Friends.

Between 1985 and 1995 is gen Y. After 2005 is gen Z.

It's only within that 10yr transitional period where you're allowed to choose in which group you identify with most.

ON a related note; using fixed time periods is just dumb. There is actually a research group that is trying to pin generations by group characteristics instead. 

Edited by unbillievable

Just now, DC Tom said:

Oh, I understand. In fact, during medieval times, some people believed that excessive exposure to moonlight while sleeping caused insanity, and called it "lunacy".

But I still think your 'lunar' ticks play on words was worth a 'boo' - the better puns always evoke reactions like that.