Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

I've said it before, the Bills get more mileage (i.e. publicity) out of the 4 Super Bowl losses than any team has received from winning. So in that regard, it eases some of the disappointment of never winning it. They have been recognized as some of the best teams and best players ever.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I got it. It conflicts with the Fan Advisory Board meeting that's scheduled from 6 - 8. I asked Scott Lasker if anything could be done so that we could do both, but was told 'no'.

Steve Tasker, in the film apparently says the team collectively ran out of gas from the effects of the 4 Super Bowl runs.

Did they run out of gas from the SB runs or getting drunk all week prior to the SB because Marv was too loose? I love this team, but too many people I know who watched them do it first hand.

I am so proud of them for what they accomplished but missed out on the big one. In the end, they did something no one will ever do again.

It was a long time ago, but it appeared to me after the fumble, the whole team started looking for the next shoe to drop. And it was over.

+1 I remember I was incensed because every player they showed on the sidelines looked like their dog had just gotten shot. And it was a tied game. But it was clearly over in their minds. Troy Aikman hints at the same mentality in his comments going in at halftime. They ran out of gas because they were mentally beaten.

Still love them though and will show the kids the special because those teams should be revered. What they accomplished was amazing, they were a pleasure to watch and sometimes sports is about more than just a trophy.

Disagree here. The Bills should have won SB XXV and SBXXVIII. They only lost to the 'girls because Thurman quit after his fumble-six tied the game. I've always wondered why Thurman has NEVER paid a price for that. I've never forgiven him, and all the HOF talk a few years ago made me ill. I hope we finally get a few answers as to why he quit. Enough about him misplacing his helmet, I want to know why he QUIT and cost us a Super Bowl.

This is what I want to know so bad. It was a disgrace...............I have the feeling it won't be addressed the way the filmmaker sounded on the John Murphy show.

I think about this every time I think about Thurman...........And, he had his greatest game ever the week before!

They've premiered 30 for 30s the last several years after the Heisman show. I got screwed just about every time, where I didn't get the end of the film

One thing I'm wondering - the film is 101 minutes, before commercials............But, my DVR slot is 90 minutes. How can that be?

Commercials?

I really don't want it to be too much of a love letter. For one, I'd like Thurman to be asked why he quit when the score was 13-13. I really want an answer to that. I doubt this would get asked, but I'd also like to know how much partying had to do with the losses.

As much as I love these teams, obviously, I always felt cheated by those two things. You couldn't wait a week to have the party of the century - as Super Bowl Champs?!?

No they certainly couldn't. Waiting until you achieve something before partying just wouldn't be the Buffalo way of life.

No they certainly couldn't. Waiting until you achieve something before partying just wouldn't be the Buffalo way of life.

I was hoping this documentary would actually call them out on the hard partying before the bowls, but I listened to an interview with the director of the film on Shred and Ragan this morning(local Buffalo radio talkshow for those not in WNY) and he brought up how the film does ask the question why didn't they win one of them and then either Shred or Ragan commented about the partying and the director kind of just glossed right over that and started talking about the opponents and the mental struggles after losing the first couple, etc....doesn't sound like that topic will be addressed at all in this

I was hoping this documentary would actually call them out on the hard partying before the bowls, but I listened to an interview with the director of the film on Shred and Ragan this morning(local Buffalo radio talkshow for those not in WNY) and he brought up how the film does ask the question why didn't they win one of them and then either Shred or Ragan commented about the partying and the director kind of just glossed right over that and started talking about the opponents and the mental struggles after losing the first couple, etc....doesn't sound like that topic will be addressed at all in this

I've always found it funny how they have to sanitize sports documentaries like they are childrens movies. It seems like that side of pro sports is rarely addressed. All of us adults can deal with the fact that pro athletes party, while the sports media likes to act like it doesn't happen. It's the opposite of the old behind the music where rock stars attempt to one up each other with tales of hard partying. I just find it interesting how the media still desire athletes to be the ones representing clean cut old fashion values. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I've always found it funny how they have to sanitize sports documentaries like they are childrens movies. It seems like that side of pro sports is rarely addressed. All of us adults can deal with the fact that pro athletes party, while the sports media likes to act like it doesn't happen. It's the opposite of the old behind the music where rock stars attempt to one up each other with tales of hard partying. I just find it interesting how the media still desire athletes to be the ones representing clean cut old fashion values.

Yeah with the Bills players from that era its very interesting to me. There were always alot of stories about the likes of Lawrence Taylor and alot of the 90s Cowboys players, etc. but the Bills never had any of their shenanigans leak out publicly. I think the only reason Bills fans know how crazy things were behind the scenes is because of how small a town Buffalo really is and a lot of fans witnessed the Bills partying their ass off firsthand. I know of at least one guy I trust 100% who saw guys out the nignt before the first Dallas Super Bowl at 4am getting after it and I've heard countless other secondhand stories over the years.

I didn't really live it but I still agree with the other guy. Sick of hearing about it and kind of ready to move on and just focus on the current team...better to pretend this team has no history at this point.

You just don't get it then...how beloved those teams were...those were some of my best and worst memories growing up with that team...

I've always found it funny how they have to sanitize sports documentaries like they are childrens movies. It seems like that side of pro sports is rarely addressed. All of us adults can deal with the fact that pro athletes party, while the sports media likes to act like it doesn't happen. It's the opposite of the old behind the music where rock stars attempt to one up each other with tales of hard partying. I just find it interesting how the media still desire athletes to be the ones representing clean cut old fashion values.

The way that director sounds and the fact that it's an NFL Films project, if I heard him right, I don't think we're going to get anything on Thurman quitting and the partying.

It is going to be like a children's movie.

Great point about Behind the Music. LOL

@BuffRumblings

Frank Reich explaining Wide Right will make you emotional all over again http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/12/9/9877958/30-for-30-preview-norwood-reich-on-that-kick

CVx6506WIAAQheP.jpg

@richarddeitsch

To NFL HOF voters: Kent Hull was an incredible center, a first-class man (amazing to me as a very young reporter) and should be in the HOF.

Am I understanding this correctly that there are a group of miserable Bills fans who would rather watch a documentary that rips apart one of the greatest teams in NFL history for partying too much before their Super Bowl losses?

Good lord.

Am I understanding this correctly that there are a group of miserable Bills fans who would rather watch a documentary that rips apart one of the greatest teams in NFL history for partying too much before their Super Bowl losses?

Good lord.

you have to question this?? :huh:

Yeah with the Bills players from that era its very interesting to me. There were always alot of stories about the likes of Lawrence Taylor and alot of the 90s Cowboys players, etc. but the Bills never had any of their shenanigans leak out publicly. I think the only reason Bills fans know how crazy things were behind the scenes is because of how small a town Buffalo really is and a lot of fans witnessed the Bills partying their ass off firsthand. I know of at least one guy I trust 100% who saw guys out the nignt before the first Dallas Super Bowl at 4am getting after it and I've heard countless other secondhand stories over the years.

If that is true & I wouldn't doubt it that is pretty bad. I mean I could see going out & getting lit up the Monday or Tuesday leading up to super bowl Sunday but once Wednesday hits it should be all business. You hate to say it but that is part of seperates a guy like Brady from a guy like Kelly. Leading up to the week of Super Bowl my guess is Brady is all business. Kelly, obviously not so much. That is why Brady will go be remembered as a top 3 QB of all time & Kelly will be remembered as a good QB who couldn't win the big game & is thought of alot more highly in the town he played in than in other towns around the country.