Defense is still average

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thru the analysis phase with this defense.....why the structure doesn't work......why the players can't make the plays offenses are forcing them to make.....but it comes down to this.......this defense is a steaming pile of sh*t compared to what it was last year, what it was supposed to be and what it SHOULD be.

THis...absolutely....this

I've been thru the analysis phase with this defense.....why the structure doesn't work......why the players can't make the plays offenses are forcing them to make.....but it comes down to this.......this defense is a steaming pile of sh*t compared to what it was last year, what it was supposed to be and what it SHOULD be.

It's a fine line for Rex. He wants to put in his system, but is stuck with guys from a previous regime. If he believes he's here for the long haul, he needs to put his scheme in, yet find the middle ground where the current guys can still make plays. What you're seeing is the result of that middle of the road approach.

I'm guessing there will be a handful of current D starters who won't be back next year, especially at LB. Bradham & Brown are frequently in a position to make plays, but so far haven't.

I think that by now we should have learned to filter what Rex says. It was easy to believe that Bills defense would have been better than last year's. But in reality, this is a transition year for the squad. By that metric, I'm not too disappointed.

And still... held the team to 17 points. That should be good enough for a win every time.

That had as much to do with Miami's ineptitude as anything else. The last drive of the half and the first drive of the second half the defense gave up something like 150 yds. That's just not acceptable and against a good team it's going to cost you games.

It's a fine line for Rex. He wants to put in his system, but is stuck with guys from a previous regime. If he believes he's here for the long haul, he needs to put his scheme in, yet find the middle ground where the current guys can still make plays. What you're seeing is the result of that middle of the road approach.

I'm guessing there will be a handful of current D starters who won't be back next year, especially at LB. Bradham & Brown are frequently in a position to make plays, but so far haven't.

I think that by now we should have learned to filter what Rex says. It was easy to believe that Bills defense would have been better than last year's. But in reality, this is a transition year for the squad. By that metric, I'm not too disappointed.

These guys are USED to new systems.

This is their 5th new defensive system in 5 years.

Pettine and Schwartz defenses didn't take 8-10 games to not be awful.

This defense is awful and what Rex should have done is put these players in position to do what they do best and THEN gradually work his system in rather than flush this season to implement a system that is going to require a bunch of player turnover to work.

That had as much to do with Miami's ineptitude as anything else. The last drive of the half and the first drive of the second half the defense gave up something like 150 yds. That's just not acceptable and against a good team it's going to cost you games.

The fins had a great game plan. They knew they couldn't just drop back and pass like every team in the league does. That's because our DL and DBs are so good not because we suck. They manufactured 300 yards and going up and down the field without ever throwing downfield. Maybe twice the whole game. They designed some nice misdirection. They called the right play at the right time. They took advantage of our pursuit. They actually did great because of how talented we are not because we suck. But we let them get away with it too much with shoddy tackling and too many penalties.

These guys are USED to new systems.

This is their 5th new defensive system in 5 years.

Pettine and Schwartz defenses didn't take 8-10 games to not be awful.

This defense is awful and what Rex should have done is put these players in position to do what they do best and THEN gradually work his system in rather than flush this season to implement a system that is going to require a bunch of player turnover to work.

I just flat out do not understand the concept of having something that is working beautiful........going through half a season seeing that the new system does not generate QB pressure........and not going back to playing to your strength

Its scary because other teams in the league are sacking Tanny like crazy......sacking Brady here and there.......and we are getting NO PRESSURE

Yeah, I can't believe Rex is calling all these plays that set the linebackers up to wiff on tackles.

Face it, Bradham and Brown have been...well, bad.

Rex was right. It's an execution issue.

And don't give me this bull crap about calling plays to help them succeed. When it's 2 and 16 and you've got the half back dead to rights in the backfield, that's on you, the player.

miller was 12-44....when they hold the other team down it's because the other team blah blah blah.....great win moving on to the Jets

A stat that really stuck out for me was the number of first downs Miami had. it was pretty close too 30 and that is just ridiculous

Whats worse is when you actually break down those first downs.

Rushing they had 6 first downs

Passing they had 16 first downs

By penalty 7 first downs :doh:

The Bills 13 penalties for 93 yards.

I agree the defense is underperforming. But why? Execution or scheme?

I just honestly was expecting something different coming out of the bye

Marcel?

Mario?

Hughes picked it up in the 2nd half

I didnt expect much from Kyle's replacement because I am just not high on those guys......

Still would have hung onto Red Bryant

I just flat out do not understand the concept of having something that is working beautiful........going through half a season seeing that the new system does not generate QB pressure........and not going back to playing to your strength

Its scary because other teams in the league are sacking Tanny like crazy......sacking Brady here and there.......and we are getting NO PRESSURE

The concept is that Schwartz was asked to stay on staff and chose to leave. That means a different defense. The players need to get over it and get their head out of their arse. The overpursuit and lack of discipline on defense is what sucked, not the system. They are not being coached to overpursue and leave themselves with bad angles or get blocked out. Today is what you get when guys aren't doing their job.

This goes back to the question...why transition?

Because Schwartz left. On his own. You had to hire another D coordinator, ergo a new system. Guys aren't doing their jobs . Not much else to it.